• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k stupidly high temps. need bios help bad

Associate
Hi, I tried to oc my 6700k with a asus z170 deluxe and goofed, I tried to reset the bios but now when ever I boot up it says oc 15% which is 4.6ghz and then voltage is showing 1.38 in cpuz but when on youtube/ google my temps are showing as the highest core hitting 87, Ive gone into bios and manually put in voltage, tried to reset to defaults, turned pc off unplugged and held cmos button down, but it always boots up the same, 15% oc then insane temps while doing nothing, Im not the greatest with pcs but im scared to do anything with my pc since the temps are so bad, my cpu cooler is a h100i gtx,

thanks for any help

oh and also my temps were around 62 max before trying to oc, soon as I did it ive not been able to go back and now im stuck :/

Associate
What does your boards manual suggest you do?
I'm not familiar with your board but some have a clear cmos button.
In the dark ages it was remove the cmos battery and short two pins with a jumper.
I'm pretty sure the way to return to factory defaults will be in your motherboard manual.
Failing that some one with knowledge of your board is bound to show up on here.

Associate
OP
after pulling my hair out for last hour i realised why it kept resetting, xmp profile switch was turned on and the cpu was ocing it self? Have no idea why but soon as i did that I could reset everything as well as voltages, really derped but thankful it was only something minor, thanks for the reply :)

Soldato
What are your temps now? It's just that 15% is well within the realms of an easy overclock and 87c at stress testing would be high let alone at idle (YouTube)!

Associate
What are your temps now? It's just that 15% is well within the realms of an easy overclock and 87c at stress testing would be high let alone at idle (YouTube)!

I assume its because his voltage was set so high. That said I'd guess that his CPU cooler could handle it though I don't have experience with the h100i gtx.

Associate
i have the same board, if you want to make sure everything resets then just use the clear cmos button that's on the board itself. it's to the left of the reset button.

Soldato
I assume its because his voltage was set so high. That said I'd guess that his CPU cooler could handle it though I don't have experience with the h100i gtx.

For Haswell yes but Skylake seems to cope well and need higher voltages. 1.4 is the norm.

Caporegime
1.38v?

That seems very high, i don't know what good volts are on Sky Lake but on Devils Cynon 1.3v is enough and an absolute max of 1.35v, it would get very hot even under an i100 at those volts.

Devils Cynon is 22nm, Sky Lake is 14nm so i would have though a lower volts part.

Associate
devils canyon - voltage control is on the cpu, sky lake - voltage control is on the board, so requires more volts, 1.38 is fine for sky lake as long as your cooling is up to it. 1.2v is default volts for a i7 6700k running at stock clocks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom