• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Broadwell-E: Reviews, Stuff and Owners

Soldato
Huge disappointment.

No boosts in DirectX 11 and 12 gaming performance, waste of money to use for games. I think the same thing will happen to Zen too.

Guess people will save extra money for Kaby Lake or go for Sky Lake instead of Broadwell-E and Zen lackluster gaming peformances.

Soldato
Huge disappointment.

No boosts in DirectX 11 and 12 gaming performance, waste of money to use for games. I think the same thing will happen to Zen too.

Guess people will save extra money for Kaby Lake or go for Sky Lake instead of Broadwell-E and Zen lackluster gaming peformances.

Kabylake is likely to be a very lacklustre upgrade over say a 6700k only saving grace likely to be the new 200 series boards released at the same time with updated io and cannonlake future compatibility.....

Soldato
Any forum members going to try a 10-core?
I've not had time to go through all the reviews but noticed "heat" being mentioned. I was/am considering cramming a 10-core into a small ATX case. I want something for gaming, software development and virtual machine use and think the extra cores will be great for the VM's that but might lead to a little under-performance in gaming?

Need to read up more. Maybe 8 cores, somewhere inbetween the 6 and 8, but I dont mind paying extra if the 10 core processor will last a long long while as more apps/games use more cores.

I'd rather get a retail processor (definately not leftovers from speed checking/binning) which are not in yet so a few days to consider.

Currently using an old 3770K processor so a decent time to upgrade for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the 6800K have gimped PCI-E lanes compared to the 6850K as per the last time around?

Edit:
It does: "While the choice at the low-end is somewhat familiar - the new Core i7-6800K is the poor old CPU with only 28-lanes, there are now three 40-lane options"

High prices, and how long until Skylake-E? Roll on Skylake-E for me.

Soldato
Wondering if I can hold out til Zen now, or maybe just get a Skylake or Cabby is it, with the new chipset (200 series?) and potentially more cores? I really don't get the $200 premium on 12 more PCIe lanes, it seems like a marketing premium, rather than a production premium.

Associate
I am very tempted now to wait till Z270 + Kaby lake, and also to see what Zen is like. Since that should all happen in 4-5 months time.

If Zen is good price/performance I could get that.

And if Kaby lake seems better on balance (since it'll have higher IPC) I could get that with Z270, and then hope Cannonlake is 6-core.

EDIT: I'm on a 3770k now and a decent mobo.

Soldato
I am very tempted now to wait till Z270 + Kaby lake, and also to see what Zen is like. Since that should all happen in 4-5 months time.

If Zen is good price/performance I could get that.

And if Kaby lake seems better on balance (since it'll have higher IPC) I could get that with Z270, and then hope Cannonlake is 6-core.

EDIT: I'm on a 3770k now and a decent mobo.

Hmmm good thinking

Soldato
Noobwell-E

What a disappointment.

Huge disappointment.

Do you not understand who these CPU's are for?? OK, the marketing really doesn't help, but if you're mostly a gamer then these really are a waste of money, and you're far better off with a Skylake 6600K at the most (even that would be deemed excessive by some). Haswell-E and Broadwell-E are for professionals, those do intensive WORK (not gaming, but they can do that also, very well in fact) that will utilise ALL the cores... Photoshop, Premiere, 3D rendering... all that kind of stuff. If you don't do this... i.e if a big part of your day to day isn't spent in these applications... then what the hell are you doing looking at these CPU's? THEY ARE NOT INTENDED FOR YOU! :rolleyes:

Soldato
I disagree. I think these chips are aimed squarely at people with limited hardware understanding, or those looking to build a £3000 games console.

Caporegime
Do you not understand who these CPU's are for?? OK, the marketing really doesn't help, but if you're mostly a gamer then these really are a waste of money, and you're far better off with a Skylake 6600K at the most (even that would be deemed excessive by some). Haswell-E and Broadwell-E are for professionals, those do intensive WORK (not gaming, but they can do that also, very well in fact) that will utilise ALL the cores... Photoshop, Premiere, 3D rendering... all that kind of stuff. If you don't do this... i.e if a big part of your day to day isn't spent in these applications... then what the hell are you doing looking at these CPU's? THEY ARE NOT INTENDED FOR YOU! :rolleyes:

Why don't they just buy an Xeon then?

Associate
Come on people, CPU's are no longer the bottleneck for performance. If you have a decent CPU within the last few years, then you are golden. Applications/game/OS development etc needs to catch up before we need half the processing power we have already.

5960X was pointless for most people and still is. The same can be said for the 6950X and I am buying one knowing this!

Why?

Because I want one.

I could give the legitimate reasons around the amount of VM's I run, coding I do, or video editing I produce - but the truth is my 5930K handles this just fine.

It's shiny, its in the top spot, so I want it in my project build. That's it.

That should be good enough right?.....

Cheers :)

Soldato

They're not intended for all 'professional' users either. Not all 'professional' software uses multiple cores effectively, at least not beyond 4 (which has been mainstream for a long time now).

For example, Photoshop actually doesn't benefit from more than 4 cores. A quad i5 is fine for Photoshop, a quad i7 will squeeze a tiny bit more performance out thanks to the extra threads, but anything above that it's wasted on Photoshop. Reference.

Soldato
I disagree. I think these chips are aimed squarely at people with limited hardware understanding, or those looking to build a £3000 games console.

+1 - or for those with limited reading ability, those not able to see these make absolutely no difference to gaming compared to Devil's Canyon/Skylake cheaper 4 core CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom