• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3570k, 970 and review sites.

Soldato
On the back of looking at the Nvidia 1080 launch and reading up on reviews etc... I'm left scratching my head.

Most of the review threads are showing my 970 pulling frames in games (I'm at 1200p) which I cant.

The difference is they are running a 6700k (or at least the review I saw)

I currently have a stock 3570k. I know what you guys are going to say OC it. I did that before the Win 10 launch and my PC was fine for about 8-9 months. However it started blue screening in games after the upgrade to Win 10. Almost immediately!

So OC aside, I'm thinking it might be my CPU that is holding back my 970?

---

Just an example.

1.One of the benchmarks I saw was for FarCry Primal and they where running it maxed settings at 1200p (and higher res) and the frames they said they got I don't. I get slowdown occasionally and have reverted to using the GFE to 'optimise' my settings.

I get slow downs in Fallout 4 as well when the review showed I should be able to max the game at 1200p with a 970.

Soldato
On the back of looking at the Nvidia 1080 launch and reading up on reviews etc... I'm left scratching my head.

Most of the review threads are showing my 970 pulling frames in games (I'm at 1200p) which I cant.

The difference is they are running a 6700k (or at least the review I saw)

I currently have a stock 3570k. I know what you guys are going to say OC it. I did that before the Win 10 launch and my PC was fine for about 8-9 months. However it started blue screening in games after the upgrade to Win 10. Almost immediately!

So OC aside, I'm thinking it might be my CPU that is holding back my 970?

---

Just an example.

1.One of the benchmarks I saw was for FarCry Primal and they where running it maxed settings at 1200p (and higher res) and the frames they said they got I don't. I get slowdown occasionally and have reverted to using the GFE to 'optimise' my settings.

I get slow downs in Fallout 4 as well when the review showed I should be able to max the game at 1200p with a 970.

Was the benchmark running on the same settings as yours? Yeah cpu makes a difference especially since yours is stock vs a i7 6700k. Sell the cpu and get a 3770k don't waste your money on a 6700k

Associate
I had the same issue as you after upgrading to Windows 10. I solved it by simply upping the core voltage 2 steps. Unless you were already hitting 1.4v just try giving it a tad more voltage and putting your overclock back :)

Soldato
I cant remember exactly but I know it was running at 4.5Ghz at around 1.36v ish.

It was stable for nearly a year before I upgraded to Win 10 and it immediately started to blue screen in games. (Watchdog violation)

I'd try a clean install of Win 10 first with 365.19. 1.36v is pretty high for 24/7 and 4.5. If your chip requires that or more, I'd settle for far lower voltage and 4.3.

Soldato
Just overclock your cpu again it makes massive difference.

After 3 years of running my [email protected] I started getting blue screens and turned clocks down which helped, but in the end figured out it was actually my ram.

My processor still runs at 4.7 fine.

Also maybe your voltage is too high? The 3570k does get really hot with volts.

Soldato
OP
It wasn't heat. I have a Noctua NH D14 sitting on top.

Thing is an overclock to 4.5GHz is only 15% over stock boost (3.9GHz). Does it really make that much of a difference?

Last edited:
Soldato
The stock boost isn't all cores though. The higher speed across all four will add up to quite a bit of a difference. These two videos may be somewhat helpful, comparing the 2600K through 6700K at stock clocks, then all overclocked to 4.4GHz across the same suite of games. Should at least give you an idea of what sort of performance you'll gain.

Soldato
OP
OK. I'm having another crack at OC my CPU.

Although I have a Gigabyte board I found an Asus guide.

Loosely followed.

Whats the max safe 24/7 vcore I should pout through it? (3570k)
And I understand form the Asus article I should look for under 85c.

This time round I have LLC set to extreme. The Asus article recommended it so I'm giving it a try.

I set 1.3v in the bios and underload it is running at 1.32v. Temps top out at 86c at 4.5Ghz.

Is this OK?

And my last question is, why would extreme LLC not be a feature on by default?

My mobo is a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.

I'm running Prime 95 small fft whilst browsing on chrome and it's not going over 86c. So looking good so far. Are my underload voltages of 1.32v ok for a 24/7 oc?

Is ther any reason why extreme LLC is bad for my mobo?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also bear in mind the difference RAM speed can make. The 6700k systems will be running faster RAM than yours due to it being DDR4 as opposed to DDR3. What speed are you running compared with the reviews?

Soldato
OK. I'm having another crack at OC my CPU.

Although I have a Gigabyte board I found an Asus guide.

Loosely followed.

Whats the max safe 24/7 vcore I should pout through it? (3570k)
And I understand form the Asus article I should look for under 85c.

This time round I have LLC set to extreme. The Asus article recommended it so I'm giving it a try.

I set 1.3v in the bios and underload it is running at 1.32v. Temps top out at 86c at 4.5Ghz.

Is this OK?

And my last question is, why would extreme LLC not be a feature on by default?

My mobo is a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.

I'm running Prime 95 small fft whilst browsing on chrome and it's not going over 86c. So looking good so far. Are my underload voltages of 1.32v ok for a 24/7 oc?

Is ther any reason why extreme LLC is bad for my mobo?

I think 1.4v is the most for 24/7 but you need really good cooler.

I ran my [email protected]@1.4v for 3 years, I dropped it down a bit now to [email protected] because I realised it was hitting 94c on intel burn test.

I have had it running at 5ghz in the past for benchmarks but that took lot more volts.

The only settings I use for overcloking the cpu is the voltage and clockspeed, I have never bothered with anything else.

Your temps and clocks seem good it will probably never get that hot under normal use.

I dont know anything about llc hopefully someone else can answer it for ya.

Back
Top Bottom