• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3570k Owner - Out Of The Loop

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been heavily invested in other things going on in my life at the moment and have lost track of where we are in terms of components.

My computer has been playing up a bit recently it keeps freezing and locking up which also sometimes results in the PC freezing when booting up. I removed my OC a while back and that fixed things but the problems are creeping back again. If I am honest I am not sure if it is my Motherboard, CPU, RAM or PSU and I don't have the spare parts nor the time to thoroughly test.

Firstly if any of you know of anything I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Failing that I will most probably look at upgrading my system but I don't want to do it between Intel cycles so if it is worth waiting for the next CPU (not sure what that is) I will do it. I will look to go for an i7 this time I think.

So really looking for your thoughts.

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been heavily invested in other things going on in my life at the moment and have lost track of where we are in terms of components.

My computer has been playing up a bit recently it keeps freezing and locking up which also sometimes results in the PC freezing when booting up. I removed my OC a while back and that fixed things but the problems are creeping back again. If I am honest I am not sure if it is my Motherboard, CPU, RAM or PSU and I don't have the spare parts nor the time to thoroughly test.

Firstly if any of you know of anything I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Failing that I will most probably look at upgrading my system but I don't want to do it between Intel cycles so if it is worth waiting for the next CPU (not sure what that is) I will do it. I will look to go for an i7 this time I think.

So really looking for your thoughts.

Remove ALL your OC's, including your cpu and gpu. If you still experience issues such as freezing or blue screens then you have some dodgy components.

Soldato
My 3570k was doing similar and it was my ram speed needed dropping.

My sons pc was doing same and it was his hdd dying.

I would run a program like memtest and test your ram is working.

I would also try using a different hdd or sdd and see if that fixes it.

Soldato
OP
OK. With all your OC's off, have you tried a fresh install of Windows?

Haven't tried this but will do at some point.

My 3570k was doing similar and it was my ram speed needed dropping.

My sons pc was doing same and it was his hdd dying.

I would run a program like memtest and test your ram is working.

I would also try using a different hdd or sdd and see if that fixes it.

Sounds like a plan I will run memtest first.

Soldato
I also had issues with lock ups etc, swapping out cheap the OCZ SSD the OS was on solved it.

I then used that, totally reformatted and a new windows install, on my other half's ancient computer when it ran out of storage space as a cheap fix and transferred the issues...

Soldato
These kind of problems are very rarely a cpu issue . I was having some lock up issues running my usual ocs yesterday and turned out once I checked the temps I was up to over 100c. There was a lot of dust clogging up the radiator on the cpu cooler. You should check for that sorta stuff first before anything else. Next try the memory modules separately before looking at software, motherboard etc. If your bios starts freezing up or locking the Motherboard will be on its way out.

Soldato
Hi all,

Everything is exactly where you left off. 2-4% more performance with each new chip since Ivybridge with a 500Mhz drop in overclocking headroom.

Soldato
Just adding my 2 cents: The current i7s are barely an upgrade over a 3570K, so unless your 3570k is knackered don't waste your money.

Soldato
OP
Well I managed to fix the issue for now.

I removed my graphics card and the computer booted up fine, so then I reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery. Then I put my GPU back into the other x16 slot and it booted up fine again.

I will see how it goes over the next however long and report back if anything else happens.

Thanks for your help all.

Back
Top Bottom