My new Samsung 26" LCD

Soldato
img19650gt.jpg

Couple of shots for ya. Really am happy with this. Pefect size and supports everything i'm gonna need it for (PC, TV, Freeview, Xbox360 etc)

Gonna mount the top speaker just above the screen when i get a bit of time.

Playing BF2 on this thing is insanely good! :p

and little video to watch here , not the best quality as done on my camera..but should give you a nice idea of what it's like. About 6meg.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ohhhh Suits You Sir...

Damn i wanted one of these but with the current money being spent on the living room it had to be sacrificed..

Tell me im right that 26" Widescreen is just perfect for a right eyefull of lush visuals at desk distance, nice indeed AA in games should be grand to smooth them out perhaps something 2405 potential buyers should consider given that this is also a fully fledged HDTV too.

My money says youll have a nice curvy looking console sitting beside that by xmas... ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mr Latte said:
Ohhhh Suits You Sir...

Damn i wanted one of these but with the current money being spent on the living room it had to be sacrificed..

Tell me im right that 26" Widescreen is just perfect for a right eyefull of lush visuals at desk distance, nice indeed AA in games should be grand to smooth them out perhaps something 2405 potential buyers should consider given that this is also a fully fledged HDTV too.

My money says youll have a nice curvy looking console sitting beside that by xmas... ;)

You are.............................right! ;) Perfect size for sitting in front of, field of view is full when playing games etc..and there's NO ghosting. I read somewhere it's an 8/12ms display.

Cheaper than the Dell too...i got mine in-store (dont know if i can mention them here or not) for £699. Took in a printout including the 'DISCOUNT50' coupon code and they matched it! Was strange though, as the lad on the counter didnt know what the discount was..but went along with it anyway. :eek:

And ya darn right, got my x360 on preorder! Cant wait!! Even playing my PS2 on this thing has been a dream...its like having a Tekken 5 arcade in my room! :D

Soldato
OP
Mr Latte, while ya there...you dont happen to know where i could download drivers for this screen do you? Can't seem to find them for XP. Screen works fine, but i'd like to have the LCD identified in Display Properties.

Associate
Is it possible to get a HDMI to DVI connector? Im just wondering as although I realise you can connect a PC/Mac via VGA - it would be nice to use the HDMI port as well.

I'm insanely envious of your TV quite honestly, and I might have to try what you did on the High Street. £699 doesnt seem too bad for the TV.

Soldato
You dont need drivers...

VGA is best for PC use as HDMI will not work with all resolutions mainly only HDTV resolutions like 1280x720 and 1920x1080

Also problesm with overscan on HDMI are common with many LCDs when connecting a PC.

Can i ask what the cool visuals were from on the video, im a big fan of music/visuals but maybe that was from some DVD or something?

Soldato
I have a real problem with those Samsung screens, what is it with the silver pointy bit. The focus should be on the screen not the frame.

Soldato
Was considering the 32" samsung instead of my 2405. I don't regret my purchase of this screen, but I must admit that for gaming with my fairly uninspiring PC that it might have been better for now. However, once I get my own house and have a nice lounge to play with this PC screen will only be used for PC use, and games will probably be played on a much faster PC than this one anyway. Not that the scaling is bad at all on here.

Glad you're enjoying your screen, it does look very tasty. The 26" model is very well priced too atm.

Soldato
I have the 41b (the black surround is square at the bottom rather than the pointed arrow bit with the speakers), and it's fantastic. It performs really welll in our living room on the MCE box (uni shared house, so it gets used quite a bit).

Soldato
tom_nieto said:
Was considering the 32" samsung instead of my 2405. I don't regret my purchase of this screen, but I must admit that for gaming with my fairly uninspiring PC that it might have been better for now. However, once I get my own house and have a nice lounge to play with this PC screen will only be used for PC use, and games will probably be played on a much faster PC than this one anyway. Not that the scaling is bad at all on here.

Glad you're enjoying your screen, it does look very tasty. The 26" model is very well priced too atm.

In Baddass thread regarding the 2405 (monitors) their are many admirers of that screen but personally i see the 26" Samsung as its so affordable a better allround option particulary for multimedia heavy users combining different forms of video entertainment within a room or bedroom.

Tell me if im wrong but:
Most Pc users that get the 2405 will greatly benifit in windows enviroment with the huge resolution but apart from getting a bigger display than they previously owned but at the expensie of:

Excessive scaling of video for fullscreen, even 720p will be highly scaled.
Having to lower PC gaming screen resolutions for most users PC specs again lessening the quality and its in having to update a friggin PC every 12 months to maintain a spec capable of still playing games in native.

Overall id say if people can adapt their Desktop purposes to a 1360x768 resolution then they also get the benifits of a fully HDTV capable display that will offer better visuals on video playback of any source. This is because the Tv is designed to make the most out of interalced and progressive video with its own internal scalers, and the resolution is more suited to make the most out of standard def and hi-def.

The 2405 seemed fantastic upon release but as time and users have shown its not as suitbale for a multimedia display as first thought, if anything it worsens the experience of it in most cases, 1920x1200 is an odd beast of a resoluition, it really suits nothing except PC usage with dual a4 display available. I really considered getting one but glad now i didnt, 1920x1200 desktop is nice but hey dual 19" @ 1280x1024 is better still and a lot less expensive if a large desktop is required.

I still maintain dual displays for pc desktop/multitasking with a HDTV is the
best solution for todays multimedia and digital entertainment. Hell its 3 screens but lots of people on here seem to be following suit.

Really wish someone comes along and does indeed compare the two side by side with all aspects of gaming, desktop, consoles, tv, dvd etc kept in mind.

Reading the above it might come across im blowing my own trumpet a bit, but honestly ive found dual monitor for multitasking and a large media HDTV display to be the best solution for combining PC and AV entertainment. Maybe if i get time to update the loft thread i can get around to explaining and showing why more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
norm said:
I have a real problem with those Samsung screens, what is it with the silver pointy bit. The focus should be on the screen not the frame.

They're the stereo speakers. Personally, i think they complement the overall look of the screen...and would rather them be there than at the side as most other screens have.

Soldato
while everyone goes on about your new screen...I think your keyboard is quite nice!

How much was it if you do not mind me asking, and is it a very soft touch or do you feel as if your pushing down the keys?

Soldato
OP
rossyl, the keyboard is just a branded (was meant to remove it, just not bothered!) version of the last but one keyboard on here. It's very nice to the touch, a soft feel to it but with a little bit of pressure needed. Paid about the same price on here from a shop.

Gamesfreak...oh yeh! I actually originally bought the 32" version...but had previously failed to take any measurements of where it might go..promptly returned it. Was a beast! Very happy with this size now though. :) When i get my Gamecube back off a mate (he's playing Resident Evil 4) i'm gonna give that a whirl too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom