• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3DMark06Available 18/01/06

Associate
I'm utterly perplexed by their decision to include CPU performance in the overall score. This is supposedly to reflect the part physics and A.I play in modern games and how CPU performance affects that. Surely this makes it more of a system benchmark now rather than a pure graphical one.

The phase change users will love this as their 3.6Ghz, Uber o/clocked A64 rigs will trounce us lowly air-only users. What about Dual-core processors at the same speed as their single-core brethren? Will the extra core score higher?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142457.html

"While 3DMark05 could only measure single-core CPU performance, the new 3DMark06 CPU test suite has support for single-core and dual-core processors. Acknowledging the increasing importance of AI and physics calculations in-game, the 3DMark06 now includes CPU performance in the overall 3DMark06 score."

I hope this is an editorial mix-up :rolleyes:

Associate
Why? Surely it's meant to represent how a system performs in a gaming environment? The CPU is an important part of the set-up in a real-world game, so why not bench it?

Soldato
They need to list it as two scores like in the details at the end of your 3d mark 05 test..

Like this..

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 12651 3DMarks
CPU Score 6477 CPUMarks

Soldato
chaparral said:
They need to list it as two scores like in the details at the end of your 3d mark 05 test..

Like this..

Main Test Results
3DMark Score 12651 3DMarks
CPU Score 6477 CPUMarks
They will probably still list both GPU and CPU Marks, but the Main score will include both scores this time, instead of just the GPU score.

Associate
3Dmark06 will be more like 3d2k1 than 3d2k05 in that it will be going back to being a proper system benchmark. Which is really good news for my x2 at 2.7ghz!

Soldato
Dirk said:
I'm utterly perplexed by their decision to include CPU performance in the overall score. This is supposedly to reflect the part physics and A.I play in modern games and how CPU performance affects that. Surely this makes it more of a system benchmark now rather than a pure graphical one.
Good call by them imo. If you want to purely test your GPU you have 3DMark 03/05.... Ive been waiting ages to have an updated version to 2001.
All hail Future mark :E

Soldato
I will speculate and say the cpu influence will be processing the physics during a normal graphical scene, rather than rendering through whole screen itself without any gpu assistance -> so speed should hopefully be ok? :D

Back
Top Bottom