So who remembers populous

Caporegime
I first played the demo of the game when my sister got The Sims (shudders) and i simply loved it, and by the end of it i take on the computer of any size with my shaman 10 warriors and a preacher

And i spoke about it at work and apparently one of my collegues was walking down the high street and saw it in the shop window for £5 so bought it for me and called it a late xmas pressie rushed home (never played the full game) redid the tutorial and started playing, and the first couple of rounds were hard, but i got better at them, and can now kick its can but its bumped it up a notch and now i have to fight 2 computer players, its crazy, just wanted to no if anyone else has this game? still plays it? and would fancy a multiplayer sometime?

/runs off to cast locusts at the computer

Caporegime
OP
jidh007 said:
I've got Populous 3 and the expansion.

Ahh na im talking THE Populous, i still think the graphics are awsome, even though it must be about 7 - 9 years old
the only spells you ever got on the demo were the small fireballs used for troops, locusts and lightning.

I just converted about 20 of computer 1's men by literally sneaking a preacher around the back of their base whilst leaving everyone at my base training to be a warrior or building huts lol

now computer 1's base is being raided, by not warriors but standard men :D its funny to watch, they die quickly but go by the factors of strength in numbers lol

Man of Honour
Phate said:
Ahh na im talking THE Populous, i still think the graphics are awsome, even though it must be about 7 - 9 years old
the only spells you ever got on the demo were the small fireballs used for troops, locusts and lightning.

I just converted about 20 of computer 1's men by literally sneaking a preacher around the back of their base whilst leaving everyone at my base training to be a warrior or building huts lol

now computer 1's base is being raided, by not warriors but standard men :D its funny to watch, they die quickly but go by the factors of strength in numbers lol

Doesn't sound much like the original populous to me. 7-9 years is far too recent, and quite why you'd be getting a demo the same time as The Sims I don't know. Shamans and Preachers really don't ring a bell. You'd have been about 1 or 2 years old when it was originally released :)

Are you absolutely positive you aren't talking about Populous 3: The Beginning?

Caporegime
OP
HangTime said:
Are you absolutely positive you aren't talking about Populous 3: The Beginning?

Well on the cd case it just says Populous so i thought it was the original but when you run it it does say Populous the Beginning is that the third one then?

Soldato
jidh007 said:
I've got Populous 3 and the expansion. Great games, I started playing that at 9 or something :)
That was by good old Bullfrog too... What happened to them? Bought our I presume

Yep. EA Games bought out Bullfrog, so Peter Molyneux quit and started Lionhead Studios. :)

Soldato
Datamonkey said:
Populous, what a game, also who remembers warmongerer!!

Now that i loved!!

And megalowmania, was that its name? where you worked your way through various epoch's

I had megalomania on the mega drive, what a classic game, i can still remember shouts of "We've nuked them!" :D

mega1.png

I remember Populous as well, i got the demo from a magazine for my amiga, i went out the next weekend to buy it :)

Associate
I had original Populous on Atari ST, just used to make loads of knights then hit the armaggeddon button, iirc. Would spend hours flatenning the land out neatly also.
It was out in 1989.

So that makes it 17 years old. :p

Soldato
Nah, Populous 3 (The Begining) is terrible, in my opinion. Thats the one EA churned out after Molyneux left and set up Lionhead.

The original being by far the best.

Soldato
wow u just reminded me about that game i loved populous the beginning i used to spend hours on the demo getting to the unit cap.
I might install it again i hope it runs on xp and i hope my graphics card can run it at full detail.

Back
Top Bottom