• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Opteron 170 Ocing Thread ***

Associate
Hello All,

I just ordered my opty 170 from OcUK and it should arrive on tuesday (31st Jan). :D

I want to know who has an opteron 170 and what clocking results you are getting from it. Would be most benficial if you put you steppings on here too and let us know if you get it from OcUK. :)

I also want to know what mobo and RAM you are using and the usual HT and multiplies / dividers you are using along with cooling method too. :cool:

So go on, reveal the opteron 170 secrets ;)

Caporegime
I have already started an overclocking opteron 170 thread we dont need two ;) just clutters things up

see here

It is in the overclocking section where it belongs :)

Plenty to read already

Soldato
Just in op's defence most cpu overclock threads seem to be in this section of the board - so this is exactly where most people put it (seemingly)

However your thread is very interesting reading

Soldato
ok just tried the cpu at 2.8ghz, got it stabe with 1.47v but i cant use my 150 divider with this cpu. when it would normally save bios settings, the system just hangs and restarts. Though i used to run my 146 at 2.8ghz on a 150 divider with no problems.
140 divider just does the same so have to use 133 which sets my ram speed too slow and i get better performance at 2.7ghz.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Oh im using a dfi ultra-d and 2gb corsair cas2

Last edited:
Associate
ok, i really didnt think OcUK would ever get these in... and they're a pretty damn good price too, but i'm in a dilema now, isn't there limited stock on the dual core opterons and isn't the price due to rise quite considerably soon aswell?

it's just that i'm torn between getting an opteron 170 right now and a good system to go with it, or... wait untill after socket M2 is released and the next nvidia cards to come out so that there's a big enough price drop for me to aford water cooling ontop of my dream system :(

what should i do?

A: Wait as planned for the price drop
B: buy my almost dream system now and save up for water cooling (might take a while)
C: buy the opteron 170 now and wait till after prices drop before getting the rest of the system

Associate
OP
Solouko said:
ok, i really didnt think OcUK would ever get these in... and they're a pretty damn good price too, but i'm in a dilema now, isn't there limited stock on the dual core opterons and isn't the price due to rise quite considerably soon aswell?

it's just that i'm torn between getting an opteron 170 right now and a good system to go with it, or... wait untill after socket M2 is released and the next nvidia cards to come out so that there's a big enough price drop for me to aford water cooling ontop of my dream system :(

what should i do?

A: Wait as planned for the price drop
B: buy my almost dream system now and save up for water cooling (might take a while)
C: buy the opteron 170 now and wait till after prices drop before getting the rest of the system

My advice would be to stick around for the M2 socket.

The opterons are damned good and the only reason I decided to go for one is because this is the last upgrade for some time for me and I want a little bit of future proofing.

If I was in your situation I would wait and buy your "dream" system and then put watercooling into it.

If you need inspiration to do this, I got my first rig back in March, which cost almost £1800 and sinse then no component (bar the case and PSU) are the same! I've spent over £4K with OcUK and if only I waited for a decent setup in the first place!

None the less, I'd advise wait for M2 and then pounce ;)

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

My opty 170 has arrived from OcUK and I thought it was best to update you as to the stepping.

OSA170DAA6CD
CCBWE0550UPMW
1387408L50756

Any one know if this is a good clocker?

I'm trying to look it up on Google and can't find that much info on it...

I'll be playing with it this evening. :D

Soldato
Well I for one will keep an eye out if you post any results, because My 170 should be coming from OCUK very shortly also (along with a few other bits and pieces hehehehe)

Associate
hey spudmaster, i have the same stepping as you mate. :)

Does any know if these chips are fussy with certain memory dividers?
I'll have to try some different memory dividers

Associate
OP
kingnothing said:
Current Status: These goods have been loaded onto a van for delivery today. :D

Has it arrived yes kindnothing? If so, what stepping is it?

FrankJH said:
Well I for one will keep an eye out if you post any results, because My 170 should be coming from OCUK very shortly also (along with a few other bits and pieces hehehehe)
I've put it in my comp and its working fine, but I had to go back to work so I will post some results when I get back home and have a change to play around with it tonight.

Anyone else had their Opty 170 arrive? If yes, what stepping is it?

Back
Top Bottom