Oh dear!

Soldato
So, I recently recieved a replacement for a Sapphire Innovation Mobo (as per sig) and I stuck it in to the PC. Everything was working, but it was giving dodgy readings with CPU-Z, so I updated the BIOS. At the same time, I had a go at OCing the setup (not particularly far).

Now, at stock and with BIOS re-flashed and all drivers updated, the system is unstable - failing 2 x SuperPi (giving error - not convergent in SQR05) but doing fine with a SuperPi window and a Prime95. If I run a folding@home console on either core, it fails after about 5 or so mins.

Any ideas? Have I killed the CPU? Is there a website that I can download previous BIOSes for this mobo from?

Thanks for your help :(

Soldato
OP
I overclocked after the BIOS update (immediately) - which is why I'm not sure exactly whether it is a BIOS thing or a hardware problem.

Since then, I've flashed the BIOS again (hoping it was a flashing error in the first place) and reset the CMOS - no joy :(

Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
The torture test - in place large FFTs.

This is really bugging me now, as apart from that, the PC appears completely stable (I hope), but I'd like to use this for F@H. I might contact Sapphire and see if they can e-mail be the previous version of the BIOS - or ask on here :p.

There isn't anything obvious that I'm missing then?

Associate
Sounds like Vcore droop,
Do the tests that you describe that cause errors with a CPU-Z window open and watch the Vcore.
See if it drops a lot when you load it up.
Could be power supply although if it's the one in your sig it shouldn't be.
May be worth increasing the Vcore 1 notch for a try.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies :D

Well running at stock this has never been a problem before. The problem is that CPU-Z gives me dodgy VCore readings (one of the reasons I updated the BIOS in the first place - although it didn't fix it) and ALL other software I have found to monitor the system crashes the PC - a well known problem with this mobo (you just have to look at the sapphiretech forums).

Soldato
Can you check the VCore in the BIOS?

My previous mobo had an annoying VCore drop, it would stay at 1.80V for a while and suddenly drop to 1.75V for a fraction of a second causing the CPU to be unstable at that moment and cause errors in programs so I had to run at 1.85V to have a stable system when it dropped 0.05V

Soldato
well you could try the occt stress test as it will give you graphs of all the voltages in your system (easiest way to test for drops). Also what psu do you have? what temps do you have could it need reseating for whatever reason ?

Soldato
OP
@ Dutch Guy...
The VCore appears stable although the BIOS isn't stressing the CPU so it's hard to tell it this is the same in operation in Windows.

@ iraiquana...
The troublesome PC is in my sig - it's got a Hiper 580W Type-R :p. OCCT, like all other monitoring softwares won't work on my mobo. It gives the option to choose SpeedFan, which crashes the PC, MBM5, which can't be set up for the board and ASUS Probe, it isn't an ASUS!

The only software that I have to monitor the mobo is the ATI System Manager. This reports CPU idle temps of 29/30C and 36/37C loaded (at stock) - no problem there. It doesn't do voltages or anything :(

I've e-mailed Sapphire to see if they can send me the previous version of the BIOS.

Anybody else got any words of wisdom?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm! As mysteriously as it dissappeared, stabilty has returned :p! Lady Luck has smiled on me.

However, I am still no further on in knowing what happened :confused:! I found that Everest works on monitoring this board (completely forgot about that program) and VCore etc is fine, as well as temps.

Thanks for your ideas anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom