Gaming headphones for £60?

Soldato
My medusa's are unfortunately on the way out and i fancy something a bit more classy. Doesn't have to be 5.1 really, as many people tell me a great pair of 2 speaker 'phones will do as good a job. So i'm looking for great sound quality and a high quality mic as well. Comfort too!

Any thoughts? Should i get USB?

Associate
lookup the canyon computer hardware company site. they make memory keys and such but also make headphones. i got myself a nice pair of headphones from them with an adapter and force feedback bass booster ( as in the earphones vibrate with the bass while its being boosted if its loud enough in the song :). cost me £17 from a local shop, bestter than most £60 sets of speakers ive seen so, i'd recommend them.

Soldato
I bought the audiofx force feedback headphones, work a charm, nice sound and good mic, rumbles good for fs, gimmicky lights but what the hey. Cant link them for obvious reasons.

Soldato
Well I have the Plantronics DSP 500 Headset and i think there great. Nice large ear pads and the mic isn't one of these flimsy jobs. Before this i had a DSP 400 and that lasted for 5 years, had to replace them as the ear pads got rather nasty to say the least :eek: .

By the feel of these 500s there of exactly the same quality as my old 400s and should see me through quite a few years. The lead connections also seem good, as on my 400 i was always stepping on the damn thing and its survived.

Hope that helped.

Soldato
OP
AFK_Matrix said:
Well I have the Plantronics DSP 500 Headset and i think there great. Nice large ear pads and the mic isn't one of these flimsy jobs. Before this i had a DSP 400 and that lasted for 5 years, had to replace them as the ear pads got rather nasty to say the least :eek: .

By the feel of these 500s there of exactly the same quality as my old 400s and should see me through quite a few years. The lead connections also seem good, as on my 400 i was always stepping on the damn thing and its survived.

Hope that helped.

i've been looking at some reviews of those and they look very good actually. The USB thing would be good too but does that essentially render my audigy 2 obsolete (apart from for listening to the speakers)?

Soldato
snow patrol said:
i've been looking at some reviews of those and they look very good actually. The USB thing would be good too but does that essentially render my audigy 2 obsolete (apart from for listening to the speakers)?

Well yeah pretty much I am afraid :(. I have a set of 7.1 speakers and only use the headset for chating on teamspeak etc I don't use them for music etc.

So if you wanted to use these for not only chatting but music and game sounds then yeah your audigy would not be used. If your not ever going to get any speakers then sell the audigy then the DSP 500's won't be such a hit on the wallet :D

Soldato
OP
i have some decent desktop 2.1 speakers but i could still sell the audigy and plug those into my onboard sound i suppose...I'm sure my onboard would be fine for music.

Associate
I have the Sennheiser PC160's also and though they are well made and built to last I am still looking for headphones that have large comfortable ear pads that fit round the ears and not on it.

I would also prefer noise cancelling rather than the open dynamic but I guess they are not fashionable anymore.

And then again the quality from digital compared to a top end sterio and L.P.'s and Sony headphones that I used to have is completely differant anyway.

Soldato
Yep the 2.1s on your onboard shouldn't be to bad, depends if u are ones of these peeps that are into music and are sensitive to quality, personally i think i must be tone def or something as i don't notice huge differances between music played on my pc or on my mp3 player lol.

Also I did get a Steelsound 5H Gaming Headset before my Plantronics as they looked really good. I wasn't too impressed with there build quality and also they weren't usb but instead used the audio jacks and for the life of me i couldn't figure out how to control them etc.

For instance they weren't being picked up in the control panel so when i started teamspeak up it didn't recognise them, there was also no software with them whatsoever?? So I am a little mifed how your supposed to use headsets with audio jacks :confused:. But with USB headsets there a dodle, if you do get the DSP 500s there is no software with them but all u do is go to there site and download it, then plug ** headset in and away u go, easy.

Soldato
OP
haven't got them yet. Chose the cheapest (free) delivery option from the place i got them, as i wasn't in a particular rush. Should be here in a couple of days i suppose

Permabanned
Ruhbarb said:
I have the Sennheiser PC160's also and though they are well made and built to last I am still looking for headphones that have large comfortable ear pads that fit round the ears and not on it.

I would also prefer noise cancelling rather than the open dynamic but I guess they are not fashionable anymore.

And then again the quality from digital compared to a top end sterio and L.P.'s and Sony headphones that I used to have is completely differant anyway.

Try looking at the Beyer DT770Pro/80 fits what you are looking for.

Got mine today ;)

Soldato
OP
got the dsp500 today. Not had too much of a chance to play around with them yet, but i'll give some initial impressions. Size wise they're smaller than i was expecting. Compared to my big bulky medusas, these look a bit flimsy in comparision. I'd say the soud for listening to music isn't that great, something seems to be a little lacking, but as i said i haven't tweaked them yet, and to be fair i had the setting on 'games'.

BF2 did sound very good. At least as good as my medusas i reckon. The mic though is outstanding. Easily the best mic i've ever used on a gaming headset. It's extremely clear. I asked people on the bf2 server today and they said it practically sounded like i was sitting next to them :)

They're fairly comfy because they're so light. Overall i'd say i'm pretty impressed and they'll be great at what i basically wanted them for: gaming/voice comms.

Just hope that they're a bit sturdier than they look..

Soldato
Glad that you like the mic etc snow patrol, if my old DSP 400s are anything to go by the DSP 500's should last a while, as the 400s are even flimsyer as there fold up ones. My 400s as i said lasted for 5years for me and my brother is still using them. I have dropped, trod on and yanked the lead on my 400s so many times and each time i thought they have to be broken and they still keep going. SO i am hopefull these 500s will be with me a long time :).

On a side note can u give me a email at my trust email as i have a prob getting voice coms to work in game in bf2, np on teamspeak. Just can't seem to get the damn things to work.

Thanks

N3M

N3M

Associate
I got myself the Sennheiser PC160 Pro-Gaming Headphones...

I love 'em...

So will everyone you! :p

Also, i did have the Plantronics DSP 400 Headset, and i hated them, sound quality and mic was sweet, but the muffs were too thin & hard :D

Soldato
OP
AFK_Matrix said:
Glad that you like the mic etc snow patrol, if my old DSP 400s are anything to go by the DSP 500's should last a while, as the 400s are even flimsyer as there fold up ones. My 400s as i said lasted for 5years for me and my brother is still using them. I have dropped, trod on and yanked the lead on my 400s so many times and each time i thought they have to be broken and they still keep going. SO i am hopefull these 500s will be with me a long time :).

On a side note can u give me a email at my trust email as i have a prob getting voice coms to work in game in bf2, np on teamspeak. Just can't seem to get the damn things to work.

Thanks

i replied to your yahoo address, did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom