• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP - Socket A XP3200 upgrade problem

yan

yan

Associate
Decided to upgrade my XP2600 with a new XP3200 CPU and its causing a few problems. The mb is a DFI Infinity NF2 Ultra (rev.A) and mem is 1GB PC3200 DDR.

Took all the normal precautions and replaced the CPU, powered up and nothing, not even a green monitor led, the only activity is from the HD's spinning up! Checked all cards and leads and the PSU's o/p's and all ok. So replaced the old XP2600 CPU and the same nothing.. I dont know the bios rev as I cant power it up, sos cant contact DFI either! From waht I understood the mb should auto detect the new CPU and there were no jumpers to change. Do I need to change anything in the bios for the new CPU? Strange thing is the old XP2600 CPU doesnt work anymore.. Also do I need a new h/sink - currently using a thermoengine and probably wont be overclocking....

Any suggestions greatfully received!!

yan

yan

Associate
OP
HELP??

There is only the one beep as normal at switch on and I dont think there are any led codes on this mb..

The FSB select jumper only has two settings (from what I can see), as it is now ("other cpu's") and 100MHz?? Still doesnt explain why the old cpu doesnt work??? Maybe the bios has been affected by trying to boot with the xp3200??

Soldato
Try clearing cmos and then booting.

Even if you had to alter the jumper for a different FSB the chip should still work just it will revert back whatever FSB the MB is limiting it to times its multiplier.

yan

yan

Associate
OP
HELP#####

:mad: Cleared the cmos and still no post - same problem, just the normal single beep.

Anyway this is with the xp2600 as it originally was, which has been fine for the last few yrs.. checked all the psu o/p's again and all seems ok. PSU is a 300W do you need more for a xp3200?

Anymore ideas, getting desperate now....

Soldato
A number of different things spring to mind Yan. The first is that the best upgrade path would have been from your XP2600 to an XP2500m or XP2600m. The next thing unfortunately is that the XP3200 have very well known and documented issues in the Infinity and LPB, lots of peeps have never got them to work. Take a look over at DFI STREET and do a search in the 32bit section there maybe an answer there. Also a 300w psu just won't cut it with a sista, you need a good quility psu with plenty a stable power. One thing that would defo help is flashing to the latest bios.

yan

yan

Associate
OP
:mad: Just out of interest I've got the cpu code for the new XP3200, does this seem OK?

new xp3200 cpu codes:-
AXDA3200DKVAE Z582113H08357
AQXCA0522VPZQ

yan

yan

Associate
OP
HELP ##

How do i flash to the latest bios if I cant get it to post, not even with the old xp2600??

Wondered what your thoughts might be on why the xp2600 wont boot anymore... seems a very subtle psu fault if all the rails read ok.. and could a cpu (if faulty) damage the mb?? I still cant believe that the cpu or psu could be damaged by a cpu, at least something that wouldnt return after the faulty cpu was replaced....

Caporegime
yan said:
There is only the one beep as normal at switch on and I dont think there are any led codes on this mb..

The FSB select jumper only has two settings (from what I can see), as it is now ("other cpu's") and 100MHz?? Still doesnt explain why the old cpu doesnt work??? Maybe the bios has been affected by trying to boot with the xp3200??

Ok regarding the Long beep...is it one long beep...A pause...then another long beep...it could be memory if anything, your psu will atleast power the computer on before anyone starts saying its not powerful enough mate :)

yan

yan

Associate
OP
Just one long beep as before I think... But the mem is as before, why should this stop the old xp2600 working???

Soldato
if you've got other memory laying about even pc2100/pc2700 or any DDR try changing the sticks you have in there over with them, then see if it boots.

Caporegime
Its not likely...infact very unlikely, unless you physically removed the Ram as well and replaced it lol...

Also, is it just the one stick of ram you have? Or is it 2 X 512 sticks? If so just try one stick, if it still beeps, try the second stick...

Caporegime
Well...im just going by what the thread stater said...which is one long beep...if its the standard *beep* sound of post, litterally one short beep...then you get nothing, its either a G-card problem, Memory problem, or Cpu problem...You can either try re-seating your memory, Cpu and your graphics cards if its literally just a Video output problem...

Need more info in all fairnes :)

Soldato
In your original post you said you "took the normal precautions". By that i assume that you did discharge the psu before you did anything to the mobo or cpu, or the ram? It does look more like a corrupted bios than anything else. Have you got a friend with an NF2 mobo that would be willing to let you hotflash your bios?

yan

yan

Associate
OP
More Help ###

So still no luck... tried the fast ram in another mb (different slower cpu - first athlon derivative, before xp) which worked fine. Then tried the agp graphics card from the slower pc in the problem pc and still no post!

The beep is one small beep, which is normal I think as before. 'Precautions' are an anti static wristband. Tried reseating memory/cpu/graphics card...

So my conclusion is dead mb or two dead cpu's, but how it happened who knows??

Any last ditch ideas? Can I get the board checked repaired somewhere?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom