Netgear RangeMax - seems good so far

Soldato
Got my rangemax router (DG834PN) and PCI card (WPN311) from OcUK today... all seems great so far.

The router was easy to setup, but I had to reboot it once to get it to remember the settings. Once all the values were setup, it's working fine and hasn't required a reboot since.

The PCI card was fairly easy - you have to install the Netgear software before installing the card, but that's fair enough.

After about an hour I'd got both router and PC setup and talking to one another.

Perfomance-wise, the speeds of downloads and pings in gaming are superb, easily as good as my previous wired network. I've tried a wireless setup in the past but the signal strength was poor and jumped around in quality, probably because of the sheer amount of electrical stuff in my house, not to mention the thick walls.

The connection on this rangemax stuff seems pretty rock solid so far, no dropouts yet. I'm using the full ADSL speed of my 8mb line, which is great - the Netgear software says it's connected at 36Mbps which doesn't sound that great , but at least the connection seems very stable.

My only gripe is the PCI card drivers / software - it seems to semi-freeze my PC on starting Windows XP (after logging in). This is quite annoying as I like my PC to boot up pretty snappily. I suspect it's a problem with the Netgear drivers, and switching to Windows Wireless Zero will fix it judging by comments found around the net. Maybe a future driver upgrade will fix this.

Just thought I'd recommend this so far as a solid wireless solution for those looking to buy.

Associate
caff said:
Got my rangemax router (DG834PN) and PCI card (WPN311) from OcUK today... all seems great so far.

The router was easy to setup, but I had to reboot it once to get it to remember the settings. Once all the values were setup, it's working fine and hasn't required a reboot since.

The PCI card was fairly easy - you have to install the Netgear software before installing the card, but that's fair enough.

After about an hour I'd got both router and PC setup and talking to one another.

Perfomance-wise, the speeds of downloads and pings in gaming are superb, easily as good as my previous wired network. I've tried a wireless setup in the past but the signal strength was poor and jumped around in quality, probably because of the sheer amount of electrical stuff in my house, not to mention the thick walls.

The connection on this rangemax stuff seems pretty rock solid so far, no dropouts yet. I'm using the full ADSL speed of my 8mb line, which is great - the Netgear software says it's connected at 36Mbps which doesn't sound that great , but at least the connection seems very stable.

My only gripe is the PCI card drivers / software - it seems to semi-freeze my PC on starting Windows XP (after logging in). This is quite annoying as I like my PC to boot up pretty snappily. I suspect it's a problem with the Netgear drivers, and switching to Windows Wireless Zero will fix it judging by comments found around the net. Maybe a future driver upgrade will fix this.

Just thought I'd recommend this so far as a solid wireless solution for those looking to buy.
ive got rangemax everything too, no issues, however check out the driver updates for the pci and cardbuses, on the netgear website,
enjoy!

Soldato
OP
I won't be able to test the range really, as I'm using a PCI card in a desktop PC and the next furthest place I can get the PC would actually be the garden.

I keep the router under the stairs, with a desktop PC upstairs with two walls inbetween.

It seems the MIMO-functionality is very handy for solving 'dead spot' problems such as where signal is weak, but intermittent. When I tried wireless g before, the signal dropped randomly around every 10 minutes. The true test was playing counterstrike: source last night - ping was as low as wired, and there was no dropped connection or wild fluctuation problems as I had before.

I'm convinced that the reason the actual signal strength still isn't that great is because the PCI card is next to a lot of power supplies and other electrical equipment. In fact I'd be surprised if any PCI wireless card from any manufacturer is that good. I might be able to improve things with a long cable and external antennae, what do you think?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've installed 17 DG834PN's to date and they all have been fantastic.

No different to the DG834G apart from the DG834G having a crap wireless range.

I installed one last week in a 3-storey house with concrete slab floors. The signal could be received in any room of the house even at the very top floor with the router sitting on the ground floor.

Very shocked at its range and if it worked great in that house then it will suit most houses.

Fantastic router so far.

Soldato
OP
Just an update to say that I've removed the WPN311 software, reinstalled the card manually with the driver on the CD, and using Windows standard wireless configuration - and now it connects straight away and no pause in XP.

Very happy with it now :)

Associate
To benefit from the full MIMO experence does one have to have a MIMO WLAN adapter as well? or will say a Centrino Laptop Benefit from it as well?

What about a standard ie NETGEAR WG511 work as well?

Mate of mine lives in an Old house and might benefit from the upgrade - signal gets ropey in places - but doesnt fancy upgrading the WG511 as well

Thanks

Associate
I second all this. I got a rangemax router and love it. So much better than my old linksys. Also bought a wireless card for my laptop and theres so many more networks picked up. Just got a d-link pci card for desktop and it cant pick anything up - was DOA. Only got it because it was cheap second hand but will definitely replace it with netgear rangemax pci card

Soldato
OP
shuntfield said:
To benefit from the full MIMO experence does one have to have a MIMO WLAN adapter as well? or will say a Centrino Laptop Benefit from it as well?

What about a standard ie NETGEAR WG511 work as well?

Mate of mine lives in an Old house and might benefit from the upgrade - signal gets ropey in places - but doesnt fancy upgrading the WG511 as well

Thanks

I would try upgrading the router first - as it has 6 antenna built in, it should give any wireless clients a much better chance at a stable connection. However I don't know the technical details - all I have to go on is comparing my old wireless router against this new setup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom