Xbox 360 - USB HD-DVD Confirmed

Soldato
McDaniel said:
yup i just wasnt sure if they would re-realse the new consolse/revisions with the hd dvd drive built in

It is possible with the inevitable 360 redesign, but they have already said that games will not come on HD-DVD's so it would be pointless so early on.

Associate
Really can't see them putting a HD-DVD drive built in.

1. Would hurt sales of the HD-DVD addon
  2. Would increase the base cost of the 360, which is one of the things microsoft hopes to jump sony on

Really think the 360 will drop in price at the end of the year/beginning of next, to give it a sizable gap over the ps3, so for the (dare i say) majority of people that probably aren't interested in blue ray (or know what it is) the 360 looks like a much more attractive deal.

Soldato
Caustic said:
It is possible with the inevitable 360 redesign, but they have already said that games will not come on HD-DVD's so it would be pointless so early on.
I wouldn't be overly surprised if they go back on this in a couple of years tbh.

Caporegime
So whats the score with this whole blu ray/HD-dvd drives??. Are they for games or are they for movies??.

Do they give a better picture or something, i keep hearing about both things but really dont know much about them...anyone care to educate me??:p

Soldato
well so far games dont need the extra storage required, ps3 games will ship on DVDs at 1st, HD DVD and blueray can output films at 1080p HD so we get great picture quality(providing the player is up to it) - cheers davey

Last edited:
Soldato
Spawn said:
So whats the score with this whole blu ray/HD-dvd drives??. Are they for games or are they for movies??.

Do they give a better picture or something, i keep hearing about both things but really dont know much about them...anyone care to educate me??:p

360 won't be using it for games,PS3 will(I think)
For games all they offer is more storage,for DVD it just means higer resolution playback

Man of Honour
da_mic_1530 said:
well so far games dont need the extra storage required, ps3 games will ship on DVDs at 1st, HD DVD and blueray can output films at 1080p HD so we get great picture quality
It's not the actual Blu-Ray / HD-DVD themselves that make it possible to output to 1080p, the player needs to be powerful enough to do it, and the screen capable of displaying it.

Soldato
Have there ever been any successful console addons before? Won't most people just go for a standalone HD-DVD player? Unless the price is significantly lower (possible) then I can't see this taking off.

-edit-

Although, on reflection, engadget or someone said that the first HD-DVD have Pentium4 2.8GHz chips in them so yes, this probably will be quite good value.

Back
Top Bottom