Oh crumbs

Soldato
hmm, glad I noticed this when I did, plenty of tread on it but it must be faulty in some way :confused: Not sure what causes it.

Swapped it with the spare but that isn't much better, its like a slick:o. So on Tuesday i'll get 2 new front ones and put the other decent front tyre on the spare wheel.

tyre2.JPG

tyre.JPG

Got egg?

Was going to get Pirelli's or Bridgestone or something, any suggestions?

Soldato
Civic 1.8 VTI, same as me.

I've got no complaints about Eagle F1's, I've had mine for 8.5k miles and they still haven't worn too much.

At least you keep an eye on your tyres, it takes a few minutes to check the car over and not enough people bother.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I didn't check the spare though untill I needed it, mistake tbh. Lesson learned:)

I guess your spare being bald is as bad as one of the 4 on the car being bald, 3pts + fine?

Soldato
A mate had a Metro which would do this to tires constantly (like within 2 weeks). He tried swapping wheels around/buying new tires etc. I think he eventually solved it by getting the tracking redone.

Soldato
OP
Just rung around a few places to see if anywhere was open, ended up going into Worksop and got 2 x Avon 195/55 R15 fitted/balanced and the front right put on the spare wheel, for £139.

Not sure if thats any good but these Avons have a lifetime guarentee, can't be too bad. Kids, always check your spare tyre;)

Gilly said:
Its illegal to carry it.

Aye thats why I wanted it sorted asap:)

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
Doesn't that stuff wreck the tyre so instead of £15 for a puncture repair you're left with £100+ for a new tyre?
Yeah but if you're miles from home and need to get back... not sure what it does to the tyre though.

Associate
Gilly said:
As sure as anyone can be on something they heard from a copper but haven't double checked...
I've heard it aswell, if you carry a spare tyre it has to be legal... couldn't you just say you swapped it for the good one on your car though?

Man of Honour
You could.

I think the reasoning behind it was something like if you carry an illegal spare if you get a puncture you would be tempted to use the illegal, which would then mean you could be seen to have planned on using an illegal tyre.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the copper and his mood I guess, I had my exuse ready incase I got pulled over with the "slick" on, surely better than an egged tyre but still illegal...

Thankfully there were no coppers around.

Associate
Its not true. For example you could carry a tyre which has no tread on it at all and its perfectly legal UNTIL its used. Hence why the MOT test doesnt consider these.

'Spare tyres There is no legal obligation to carry a spare tyre and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. A spare tyre is not a testable item in the MOT test, though the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy.'

Back
Top Bottom