Who do I send my Raptor back to?

Associate
I bought a WD Raptor a couple of months ago from OcUK - it's died with an exception code 0008 when I run the WD Diag tools - at the moment Windows won't boot.

The WD support site says if I get this code to replace the drive, but who do I send it back to? Do I use the WD RMA service, or should I send it back to OcUK?

Thanks

Oh and is there anyway at all of recovering data from this drive now? It's pretty much all program files as data is on the other drive, but there's some work in My Document I really don't want to lose. It's backed up to the other drive, but not for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Give OcUK a ring and see what they say. I suspect they will tell you to send it to Western Digital but it is worth checking.

You might be able to recover your data. I would probably run a Linux Live distro such as Knoppix and see if that can read the data on the drive.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso this link will start a download of a knoppix disc iso. Just download it then burn to a CD. Then set your PC to boot from CD and pop that bad boy in. It will boot into a linux OS and you may be able to see the data on your Raptor. If so just copy it over to your other HDD.

This method has worked for me several times on my own PC and other peoples PCs so I think it is worth a shot.

SiriusB

Permabanned
The choice is yours if it's under 12months old!

You can either send it back to OC's or WD.
Sending it back direct to WD would be quicker as thats all OC's will do when they recieve it.

Associate
OP
Okay I ran both the quick and extended test from the WD boot diag CD and it suggested there was an error with the drive, the extended test said that it had fixed the error but I still couldn't boot with the drive.

I'll try the Linux thing, but I've never used it before so I might run into problems. Is there any simple DOS boot from CD or floppy utility I can try and see the drive somehow?

If I still get nowhere I'll RMA the drive via WD's support site, as they allow you to get a new drive for 30 days before sending the old one back, during which time I might be able to recover the data using XP.

Soldato
Linux is dead easy to use. Knoppix has a proper GUI similar to Windows so you should have absolutely no problem looking at your drives contents - assuming it can read the drive.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom