Confused! Setting up WRT54GL wireless to work with ADSL modem router AG241

Soldato
I have Linksys 4 ports ADSL modem router and I have just received WRT54GL today...I want to use static address but which router settings should I care? I'm confused!

I have changed ADSL modem router to 192.168.2.1 because wireless router uses 192.168.1.1. I have connected them together and my computer is connected to wireless router by cable but can still not access to internet. What am I missing? :confused:

I was looking at RIP, is that what I should do and how?

Soldato
OP
Oh, well...after hours of various way to get it working! :mad:

Wireless works fine but not internet access via WRT54GL.

I'm beginning to think that it must be faulty. I plugged cable to internet port on wireless from AG241 ADSL modem router so it should work but it isn't. :(

Caporegime
You don't need RIP, and the easiest way would be disable DHCP, NAT et al on the WRT, and connect the LAN port on the ADSL router to a LAN port on the WRT. Change the WRT's IP to something in the same subnet too - ie 192.168.2.x.

Your machines should then get IPs from the ADSL router - not the WRT, and all should be fine.

Alternatively, the output from ipconfig /all, and the results of attempting to ping the LAN interfaces of both routers, and an IP on the internet, would be useful.

Soldato
barnettgs said:
Oh, well...after hours of various way to get it working! :mad:

Wireless works fine but not internet access via WRT54GL.

I'm beginning to think that it must be faulty. I plugged cable to internet port on wireless from AG241 ADSL modem router so it should work but it isn't. :(
Does the modem (AG241) on its own work, i.e. directly connected to PC?

Have a similar setup & problem initial. Using a D-Link DI-624 Cable/DSL Router with a ADSL modem router. To make it work this is what I did:
  • Connected ADSL modem router direct to PC & disabled modems router features RIP, FireWall & IP Filter. Then set DHCP Mode on modem to DHCP Server. Created a static address, 192.168.1.6
  • Removed cable from PC & ran it to the DI-624's WAN port
  • Changed WAN settings on DI-624 to Dynamic IP Address
  • Switched off modem, router (DI-624) & PC for about 2 minutes. Then switched on modem, waited for it to connect, etc. Switched on router (DI-624) & then finally PC.
  • Now I'm here replying your post/s :D

hp7909 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
tolien said:
You don't need RIP, and the easiest way would be disable DHCP, NAT et al on the WRT, and connect the LAN port on the ADSL router to a LAN port on the WRT. Change the WRT's IP to something in the same subnet too - ie 192.168.2.x.

Your machines should then get IPs from the ADSL router - not the WRT, and all should be fine.

Alternatively, the output from ipconfig /all, and the results of attempting to ping the LAN interfaces of both routers, and an IP on the internet, would be useful.
Thanks very much!

After following your instruction and it worked for the first time! I didn't know that IP can be received from 1st router via 2nd router!

I have set AG241 router to 192.168.1.1 and WRT to 192.168.1.64. I choose 64 because AG241 gives out only IP starting from 64. Does it matters? :confused: After getting it worked, I can access to 192.168.1.1 browser but I couldn't access to 192.168.1.64, not sure why.

Anyway, I'm happy now and just had few races of Mario Kart wireless! :)

Cheers!

Caporegime
barnettgs said:
After following your instruction and it worked for the first time! I didn't know that IP can be received from 1st router via 2nd router!

The 2nd router will be transparent. Unless you need to access its web interface, you can forget all about it.

Only obvious reason for one not working is you need to set the second router's LAN IP to that, not the WAN interface.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
The 2nd router will be transparent. Unless you need to access its web interface, you can forget all about it.

Only obvious reason for one not working is you need to set the second router's LAN IP to that, not the WAN interface.
Right...that goes over my head! Could you explain a bit? Just get to get my head around this so I will know what to do in near future.

I have set 192....64 on Wireless router and thats LAN ip. I left WAN interface blank.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom