Only Asus? Power down on restart flaw?

Soldato
Just wondering if someone can tell me which boards suffer the clock resync when overclocked over 300FSB, I'm guessing all Asus boards suffer from this design flaw? What other makes/models. Would appreciate the info - I heared the MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition suffers the same flaw?

List of clock resync mobos when overclocked over 300FSB
Asus - P5W 64-WS
Asus - P5W 2G2-WS
Asus - P5W DH Deluxe
Asus - P5W D2 Premium
Asus - P5B Deluxe
Asus - P5B

Asrock - ConroeXFire-eSATA2

DFI - Infinity 975X

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, I'm very interested in this issue and I'm suprised it doesn't get more interest. I too will not overclock my Asus PW5 DH beyond 300 MHz for this very reason. I have £800 worth of hard drives which don't like the way asus just pulls the plug on the power when saving bios changes or restarting.

As far as I know only the PW5 DH does this. I'd love to know if the other Asus ones do though. All I can say from experience, is that the Bad Axe doesn't do it.

Associate
Are we safe to say this is an Asus only fault? Asus claim it is a chipset limitation, but no other manufacturer seems to suffer from this. I'd say the limitation is with the Asus engineers. :rolleyes:

Associate
occasionally my Gigabyte S3 with a Pentium4 630 will shut off the PSU wait a second and boot up when you alter FSB/CPU Multi/VCores SOMETIMES. Meaning it only seems to occur when you change the parameters, and only sometimes, not sure exactly what triggers it.

Once it does that, normal rebooting seems fine though, power is kept on fine.
Im running said system currently as follows
P4 630 ( Default 3GHz (200x15) with 200x4 FSB ) @ 3.5 GHz 250x14 with 250x4 FSB
2GB Corsair TwinX 5400C4 ( Default 100x3.33 @ 5-5-5-19 & 1.8v ) @ 125x2.66 @ 4-4-4-12 & 2.0v
Chipset Voltage +0.2
DRam Voltage +0.2
CPU Voltage 1.408

Associate
Sorry could I ask you to articulate on exactly what this bug/feature/design limitation is please?

I've got a P5W DH Deluxe @ 300Mhz FSB and I have noticed something odd at powerdown - the PSU (a 600W Seasonic) seems to power the mobo off 3-5 seconds before the molex connectors, which I thought was a neat feature as it means the water pump keeps pumping for a little longer to take a little more heat away from the GPU/CPU. Is this the bug you are talking about? If so - why is it a bad thing?

Soldato
OP
I'm quite interested in purchasing a Conroe setup using an Asus board, but for the very same reason Jay_t mentioned, I am worried about this effecting my hard-drives - could this possibly lead to damage to them? It's not like I have read any reports about this happening but its something I would like claryfying before I buy one of the Asus boards for overlocking above 300 FSB.

Asus mobo owners, does this only effect upon using Windows restart? does this also happen when using the reset button on that actual PC case?

Associate
If you use the reset button on the case, save settings in the bios or reset in windows, it pulls the power - so long as the board is over 300fsb. Hard drives have their life shortened by being turned off and on, let alone having the power pulled.

Ask yourself this, Would you consider pulling the power cord out when your pc was on? As that is what this board does when you hit reset on the case or save bios changes.

So long as no one complains or just accepts Asus's lies about this being a chipset limitation, they will keep on producing flawed motherboards.

Soldato
Jay_t said:
If you use the reset button on the case, save settings in the bios or reset in windows, it pulls the power - so long as the board is over 300fsb. Hard drives have their life shortened by being turned off and on, let alone having the power pulled.

Ask yourself this, Would you consider pulling the power cord out when your pc was on? As that is what this board does when you hit reset on the case or save bios changes.

So long as no one complains or just accepts Asus's lies about this being a chipset limitation, they will keep on producing flawed motherboards.
It doesn't do it consistently either, which is annoying. I've set the FSB to 400 in the BIOS and rebooted and it hasn't switched off, but putting it back to 266 and it did. :confused:

It's even more of an issue if you're using a Vapochill or a Mach2 because they sense the board has switched off and assume you're switching your PC off, so they power down as well. A few seconds later your motherboard comes back on, with no cooling....

Soldato
OP
Well thanks for the info, thats definitly put me off buying any Asus Conroe boards, back to the old skool Abit I think, will take a look at Gigabytes offerings too.

Soldato
Can anyone find a way of complaining to Asus? If we get enough of us to do it then im sure they will change it.

We need a standard reply along the lines of:

"Your Intel P965 mobos dual reboot over 300mhz, you call this is feature. We do not, especially as it stressed the system needlessly. No other P965 manufacturers do it so you don't either. It also caused problems for phase-change users, when the power switches off so does the unit, then it boots up with NO COOLING.

So remove this silly option otherwise we will have to kill it with fire/boycot you/whatever."

Except more tackful.

*** feature, who is asus kidding :rolleyes:

Associate
Concorde Rules said:
Can anyone find a way of complaining to Asus? If we get enough of us to do it then im sure they will change it.

We need a standard reply along the lines of:

"Your Intel P965 mobos dual reboot over 300mhz, you call this is feature. We do not, especially as it stressed the system needlessly. No other P965 manufacturers do it so you don't either. It also caused problems for phase-change users, when the power switches off so does the unit, then it boots up with NO COOLING.

So remove this silly option otherwise we will have to kill it with fire/boycot you/whatever."

Except more tackful.

*** feature, who is asus kidding :rolleyes:

1.yes and also not building to intel specs
2.intel gigabit lans replaced buy cheaper marvel controllers
3.the high end boards dont use quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors (yet cheap gigabytes do)

4. new revison's of the same board instead of fixing other versions

5. now asus owns part of gigabyte ah now we will see boards using Conductive Polymer Capacitors ( wich means all new versions of the same boards that are out)

P5B-E Plus

the list goes on i getting abit sick of asus changing to cheaper componets
but charging a premium for a board.

Soldato
james32 said:
1.yes and also not building to intel specs
2.intel gigabit lans replaced buy cheaper marvel controllers
3.the high end boards dont use quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors (yet cheap gigabytes do)

4. new revison's of the same board instead of fixing other versions

5. now asus owns part of gigabyte ah now we will see boards using Conductive Polymer Capacitors ( wich means all new versions of the same boards that are out)

P5B-E Plus

the list goes on i getting abit sick of asus changing to cheaper componets
but charging a premium for a board.
What's the big deal with "Conductive Polymer Capacitors" though? Is it just another fancy name for something that has very little real World value except to the extreme end of the overclocking spectrum? (cascade phase change, etc)

Back
Top Bottom