S/C Installation all done - Up and running, WOOOOOSH!!!

OcUK Staff
HI there

Well today started early for me, by 8:30am I was in Macclesfield picking up my uncle (truck mechanic), we were in Halfords in Stoke for 9:30am purchasing some parts and we arrived at OcUK Motors garage for 10:00am ish.

So work commenced, we got the front bumper, grill, sidelights, indicators all off with relative ease. Everything else was going fine until it came to remove the alternator pulley. The nut was on so tight that the pulley was slipping in the belt, increasing belt tension had no success. After approx 30 mins of trying several different techniques we gave up.

So we proceeded with draining the coolant and doing other areas. We gave up with the alternator pulley as the only way to get this off was to use the impact gun my uncle had, unfortunately we had no airline. So I hunted down an airline and then the alternator pulley came off with ease. Its amazing how easy the right tools can make a job.

So all was going fine again, then upon removing the metal water hoses in the engine valley represented a problem, we had no cap and so had to make something fit and in the process we probably lost a good litre of water, oh well.

Once again all was going fine until it come to removing the crank pulley, our pulley tool was useless. As the Saleen crank is very strange so the only way off was with mini-crow bars, hammers and lots of work arounds along with lots of patience. After about one hour it came free and thankfully fitting the new crank pulley was a breeze as it got onto the keyhole with ease and I was able to source a new bolt from Ford UK, though I was lucky as it was the only bolt in the UK.

Anyway from there on things have gone great. 8.5 hours later and we've got most things on and installed including pulleys, belt, spark plugs, Supercharger, intercooler, water pump/brackets and its now coming together.

Tomorrow we've gotta fit the new injectors and re-install the fuel rails. Gotta route some coolant hoses, wire up the H20 pump/switch, extend the alternator wiring, fit the throttle body to the S/C, install all the CAI and MAF which means were practically done. Then put the car back together and hope the bonnet closes and everything fires up nicely.

I did take pictures but left the camera at work so will have to put them up tomorrow but needless to say things have gone pretty well. My uncle has been a great help and having two of us doing it does make things a lot easier and adds further quality control to the job. :)

What was quite funny is at times we got ahead of ourselves, as in forget about the manual and just started removing parts which meant some later stages in the manual went very quick. :D Thats the advantage of previously pulling the car apart. ;)

Associate
Now that is a full and proper days work Gibbo, well done for going ahead your self! Fingers crossed it all fires up ok as Im sure it will.
Takes me back to swapping mini engines over a weekend, ill need to wait a few years till the kids are old enough to pass me the correct spanner and not a toy donkey :D then going to get a Clubman estate to fettle.

Have fun tomorow.

Perry.

Soldato
Bad start by the looks of it.
Bet you were wishing you brought it to me to begin with :D
Glad it got easier..
Still lots to do then. good luck, you'll be proud when it's all done and purring like a kitten. :cool:

Andy

OcUK Staff
OP
nokinidea said:
Bad start by the looks of it.
Bet you were wishing you brought it to me to begin with :D
Glad it got easier..
Still lots to do then. good luck, you'll be proud when it's all done and purring like a kitten. :cool:

Andy

Hi m8

Your welcome to come down and help. :p :)

Yeah the crank pulley was the biggest bitch of a problem, not having the correct removal tool made things very slow and painful. Thankfully we kept our patience and kept having breaks then coming back for another attempt. Luckily putting the Ford stock pulley back on was a lot easier as it went straight on the keyhole with the old bolt no messing. So then just put the new bolt on, tightened it to 66Lb-Ft, un-did it 360 degrees, re-tightened to 39Lb-Ft plus an addition 90 degree turn and all sorted. :)

Soldato
This reminds me of my last attempt to change an alternator, stuck on bolt and barely enough space to clench a fist nevermind gain any leverage.
Does the engine bay on yours have a nice amount of space to work in at least

Is this setup going to have water injection?

Caporegime
Meridian said:
Every DIYer (of whatever type) should have that as a tattoo...

M

There are two other rules that you should always remember

1: When In Doubt Give It A Clout!!!

2: If At First You Don't Succeed Try Try Again (With A Bigger Hammer This Time)!!!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Well we've spent another 6 hours today and apart from some niggly wires and routing were about 90% done. Just 1-2 hours more and she will be all put back together and as new, plus working as should be hopefully. :)

Shall post some pictures up soon from yesterday and today. :)

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Well we've spent another 6 hours today and apart from some niggly wires and routing were about 90% done. Just 1-2 hours more and she will be all put back together and as new, plus working as should be hopefully. :)

Shall post some pictures up soon from yesterday and today. :)

Sounds like excellent progress and well done for having the bottle to have a go!!

Look forward to seeing the pictures!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Images from Day One (8 Hours)

Gibbo205-SC1.jpg

Gibbo205-SC2.jpg

Gibbo205-SC3.jpg

Gibbo205-SC4.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
DAY 2

Images from Day Two

Gibbo205-SC5.jpg

Gibbo205-SC6.jpg

Gibbo205-SC7.jpg

As you can see from the pictures it has come along nicely.

Also the bonnet closes, it rubs a little but in a weeks time the lowering mounts go in which drop the engine 1/2 inch. :)

Soldato
Good job, I like seeing people getting stuck in and doing work on their cars them selves. Must say I'd be slightly wary with an engine bay that full of gubbins.

OcUK Staff
OP
burns said:
Good job, I like seeing people getting stuck in and doing work on their cars them selves. Must say I'd be slightly wary with an engine bay that full of gubbins.

Hi there

I think my engine bay is pretty bare compared to most cars. As I'd never attempt such a job on the 3000GT as its was cram packed under the bonnet on that car. :)

Soldato
Yeah, could be much worse I guess, at least it;s not just a mass of plastic covers. I'm just used to being able to see large amounts of floor though the engine bay. I guess it's just one of those things you have to put up with when you have a huge engine:D.

OcUK Staff
OP
burns said:
Yeah, could be much worse I guess, at least it;s not just a mass of plastic covers. I'm just used to being able to see large amounts of floor though the engine bay. I guess it's just one of those things you have to put up with when you have a huge engine:D.

Hi there

I can see plenty of floor, can even reach from the top of the engine bay and nearly touch the floor, there is plenty of space to move around in, hence why its possible to add this kit without too much fuss. :)

Back
Top Bottom