Bungee Mod Akasa Eclipse

Associate
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has bungee modded their hard drives in an akasa eclipse, either still using the hdd cage or removing it and bungee mounting them in front of the front case fan.

Im interested in doing this, it would be a total of 3 hard drives, and it would be my first attempt at doing this mod.

If anyone has done this could you post some pictures to show your setup and how you did it; as much help and examples of this is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there,

I have bungee mounted all of my hard drives in my Gigabyte Aurora. I have two of them in spare 5.25" bays and another in the 3.5" bays.

I haven't tried suspending the whole hard drive bay with the hdd's inside it so i'll just comment on my way.

I used some sewing elastic to suspend my drives, you should be able to get this from any local sewing shop. I then weaved the elastic through the gaps in the drive cage and then tied them tightly together. To mount the hard drives you need to cross the upper and lwoer bits of elastic over and then slide the hdd through the middle.

Now i probably didn't really explain that very well so here are some pictures of what i did. They speak for themselves.

dsc00232mediumhc0.jpg

dsc00235mediumni7.jpg

I found an image on the internet of somebody elses suspension mod which i used as a guide. See here.

The hard drive i have mounted in the 3.5" bay was a lot trickier to set up due to the much more confined space and i was only able to mount it there due to the Aurora having quite wide hdd bays.

The difference it made to noise levels was amazing. I can't hear any of my drives at all whereas before they used to cause the whole case to vibrate, my raptor especially. The only thing you can hear from them is the seek noises and you can only hear those if you put your head in the case. It's well worth doing.

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
They're pretty secure. So long as you pull the elastic reasonably tight and tie them up well there's no reason for it to break.

Something i forgot to mention in my last post was that since i took those pictures i have added some more elastic which is connected to both the top and bottom elastic strips and can be pulled around the end of the drive. I tested this by carefully tipping the case and gently letting the drives slide a bit and it seems to work quite well. I'm never going to be tipping the case lengthways so it shouldn't really be a problem, i added the extra elastic just as a precaution.

Associate
OP
So has no-one tried this in their akasa eclipse? Suspending the hard drives in the 5.25 bays or suspending them where the hard drive cage is.

Im very interested in doing it; since I replaced my 5 hard drives for 3x 500gb Samsung HD501LJ my machine is louder for some reason, what i believe to be caused by any or all of the 3 things

1) hard drive noise/vibrations
2) PSU fans/vibrations
3) resonance/vibrations from the case itself i.e. sidepanels.

Id like to get my machine as quiet as possible as it was the reason of upgrading to this case from my Lian Li PC60.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
djphatic said:
So has no-one tried this in their akasa eclipse? Suspending the hard drives in the 5.25 bays or suspending them where the hard drive cage is.

Im very interested in doing it; since I replaced my 5 hard drives for 3x 500gb Samsung HD501LJ my machine is louder for some reason, what i believe to be caused by any or all of the 3 things

1) hard drive noise/vibrations
2) PSU fans/vibrations
3) resonance/vibrations from the case itself i.e. sidepanels.

Id like to get my machine as quiet as possible as it was the reason of upgrading to this case from my Lian Li PC60.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Try question in Akasa Eclipse Club thread.............:cool:

TC1

TC1

Permabanned
Also mounted my Hard Drive with sewing elastic in the CDrom bay. Really quiet. Can't hear it at all. Been like this, with the same sewing elastic for approx 3 years now. No degradation to the elastic.

Back
Top Bottom