**Official Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI NF650i Owners Thread**

Soldato
Well I don't actually have one of these boards but am wanting to upgrade to Conroe, but still debating what mobo to get. Now the 650i seems to be the way forward for me and have been waiting for news/reviews on the Abit one. Seeing as there are like 3 thread on this board I thought I would create this thread.

Basically post your overclock results, any problems you have, images of the bios and as some have asked for information on what CPU coolers will fit this board.

Thanks

Permabanned
Got mine 2 days ago forund it hard to get to gribs with bios but i got my e4300 to 3.4 with 1.55 but fails orthos in seconds.. temps are fine at 29c in core temp and 26c in abit eq. might have to up the volts some more...lol

Associate
yeah same here..

had asus all my life.. so I am seriously thinking to try out Abit for once
plus it looks so much better than asus :) hope t performs as well!!!

please ppl give us some info on how it clocks

Soldato
Hi,

Just got the abit to replace a P5N-E I killed in a BIOS flash.

BIOS seems ok,

CPU voltage control is coarse 1.325v to 1.7v in 0.025v steps. The P5N-E has much finer control but happy enough with this.

There doesn't seem to be a +100mv option for the CPU so the overal range is the same as the P5N-E

The northbridge has much finer voltage control, 0.03/0.04v increments at the lower end with 0.07 ish at the higher end. Seems a good function as I can run the FSB at 350 with just 1.2v giving me 3150Mhz with an E43

Otherwise the BIOS options are similar if much differently laid out.

Both will run at 3.2Ghz at ~ 1.4v, NB ~1.3v, Orthos 1hr

The Abit seems to have less vdroop, @ 3.375 1.5v P5N-E was 0.8-0.1v Abit was 0.2 - 0.3v then CPUz decided Ii was running at 1.2v. On both board Orthos fails after a few minutes.

Anyhow currently reinstalling XP as I had a few device issues from the P5N-E install.

Overall my initial view is that it's performance is very similar to the P5N-E with less vdroop.

Haven't tried the higher FSB's as yet, need to finish the reinstall first off.

Regards

AD

Soldato
ive only OCd a DFI nf4 ultra-d and am not familiar with these weird vdroop problems. Is there a way to fix it?

Would you recommend this board over a DS3 for overclocking first a P4 DC 3.4ghz presler with cheapo ram...and then a e4300 or 6300 later on?

Soldato
Well the ABIT has a removable BIOS chip, thats a bonus, no External SATA or firewire. I have a downer on ASUS for not having a removable BIOS chip or a BIOS recovery system that works.

Also Abit has a heatsink on the Southbridge (if needed)

Otherwise there is little to choose between them unless someone finds that the are high FSB CPU issues with the ABIT.

Also the ABIT has about 10mm more clearance from the top and rear for a CPU as the socket sits a little further in. The board is a fraction larger so has 9 mounting holes wheras the ASUS only has 6, just falling a little shy of the 3 innermost mounts

Flat cables with both boards.

I prefer the ABIT, others may differ

AD

Soldato
decto said:
Also Abit has a heatsink on the Southbridge (if needed)

Can you confirm that the Abit's Southbridge cooler doesn't foul the 2nd graphics card in an SLI configuration (?) as any size of cooler over 10mm high on the ASUS prevents SLi operation because of this.

Caporegime
wahey posting from my new C2D ABit FP-IN9 Fatal1ty rig!

okay it took me aages last night and gave me a few frights along the way - (first power on nowt...) i dont have an intel 8 pin 12v adapter for cpu? so i tried the 6 one, and thenfinally the 4 one from my psu and it kinda worked.

but then i got beeps until i removed a memory stick!

then i couldnt install windows kept copying files across and then saying (on setup boot) NTLDR missing.. CNTRL-ALT-DEL

eventually i figured out this morning about the sata drivers (not supplied on a floppy...) on the abit CD, made myself a sata boot disk, and managed to get windows installed!

Okay first impressions;

i dont like the board layout. its carp.
the packaging/box etc left me underwhelmed. it does not feel like a premium motherboard. I have a DFi Ultra-D in my amd rig and that is a far superior layout/board in terms of quality and features. the ribbons are too short and they suck.

Arctic Freezer Pro 7? doesnt fit as standard. the massive heatsink on the chip near the cpu gets in the way. i took a lighter and knife to the corner of the ACFPro7 and shaved off enough to allow it to be seated properly. an annoyance.

so far so good, no crashes however since installing windows (twice..) so overall stability seems okay. and temps are fine too although the DWM is the hottest part of the board @ 38deg!

more updates as i get into the OC

Soldato
Nickg said:
eventually i figured out this morning about the sata drivers (not supplied on a floppy...) on the abit CD, made myself a sata boot disk, and managed to get windows installed!

Did you discover that by luck, or was it buried somewhere in the manual? Asking as I dislike it when motherboards have nice undocumented 'features'.

Caporegime
it does actually tell you how to make the disc in the manual both through DOS and Via Windows under the heading'; "build a raid disc in widnows" and "build a driver disc under dos environment"

it doesnt state that windows is incapable and that you will Definately have to do this.

previous board NF4 chipset let me set SATA to NVRAID and install windows without needing a floppy disc (my old pc doesnt have a floppy drive). it was strange because windows setuip was seeing the drive, letting me delete partitions, format etc and copy across but when it restarts to bootup and "config/install" windows it would just tell me NTLDR was missing...

you would have thought they'd chuck in a floppy disc with the RAID/NV Storage drivers on tbh!

and looking online at Abit Global, USA and UK none of the sites have any drivers, or utils for the FP-IN9

edit;

my CPU is nice and cool though check this!

chillynv4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hahah, nice, thats the exact chip my mates trying to clock, and we're considering changing to this board from a possibly faulty DS3 (lack of confidence aint good for the OC, ya know ;) )

You've got the exact same bug in CPU-Z we did too (2x SSE3, ones meant to be SSE4 XD)

Soldato
Nickg said:
i dont like the board layout. its carp.

What's wrong with it?

Nickg said:
the packaging/box etc left me underwhelmed. it does not feel like a premium motherboard. I have a DFi Ultra-D in my amd rig and that is a far superior layout/board in terms of quality and features. the ribbons are too short and they suck.

It's not actually a premium motherboard, it's about as much of a budget performance board as anyone makes these days. The premium one is the 680i at 3 times the price. It has round PATA cables and a wireless card.

Nickg said:
Arctic Freezer Pro 7? doesnt fit as standard. the massive heatsink on the chip near the cpu gets in the way. i took a lighter and knife to the corner of the ACFPro7 and shaved off enough to allow it to be seated properly. an annoyance.

This is getting surprisingly common - you would think that the cooler designers would be working with the motherboard designers, but apparently not.

Nickg said:
so far so good, no crashes however since installing windows (twice..) so overall stability seems okay. and temps are fine too although the DWM is the hottest part of the board @ 38deg!

more updates as i get into the OC

I think the temperature reporting is from non-core sensors - you need to use CoreTemp, TAT or PC Wizard 2007 to get numbers comparative to the ones generally quoted on here.

I look forward to seeing your OC results.

Soldato
Hi,

The height of the southbridge heatsink is approx 12mm which gives plently of clearance for my 7800GTX which has approx 17mm measured from the board after installation.

At the point I'd posted I'd only run orthos for an hour as I'd got the board that day so those were my initial results. It didn't crash or error, I just stopped it. 1 hour is a fair indicator of stability, I usually run for an hour then turn up the OC a little until I get an issue. Only when I'm at the point it all get shaky do I run a long test.

Anyhow as a baseline my E43 has run for 6 hours with no errors so far. Current 3,0Ghz 1.425v bios, 1.400 CPUz(idle) 1.376 CPUz load @46C. Have to say the CPUz voltage readings are very stable with the only fluctuations being when load is applied/removed. To clarify earlier voltages quoted were CPUz under load therefore higher in BIOS.

I didn't have an issue with the package, I see this a value range overclocking board rather than a premium board. Sure the cable aren't great and you have to install the drivers invidually etc but coming from an era where you had to configure each card's interrupt with jumpers and then tell the software what settings you'd used, I think it's fit for purpose and I had no problems setting it up without looking at the manual.

The 8 pin power connector works fine with a 4 pin plug, just plug it in the 4 holes to the rear of the board. The 24pin also works fine with a 20 pin supply (unplugged my 20-24pin coverter and can't plug it back together now!)

The temp result from the horrid car shaped application is reasonably accurate. At idle mine shows 20 (app) 20/21 core temp, obviously fluctuating rapidly up with every minor CPU load. Currently 42C (app) with 46C/46C core temp. Strangely under load my core temos are always near identical, only under partial load are there any significant differences.

More later.

AD

Edit
Almost forgot - Lapped E43 CPU with TT BigTyphoon

Last edited:
Caporegime
i dont like the position of the IDE, or FDD connector on the mobo

also PCI slots seem a bit poorly positioned.

it IS a premium motherboard to an extent, i.e its a Fatal1ty for a start, and its certainly not aimed at the low end non user. IMO its pitched at the same crowd as the DFi Ultra-D was - i.e good spec but a few cut down bits from the bigger brother.

Re the Cooler/NB HSF yes you would have thought they would work together or at leats bear in mind... but apparently not! DIY should not be necessary to get these bits to fit.

lol the FP-IN9 isnt even listed on the abit website for drivers/utilities or BIOS so no luck recalibrating yet

but a taste of the OC so far;

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1254/ocedcv2.jpg

Caporegime
WJA96 said:
The temptation to ask if they don't line up with the case is almost overwhelming :D

hmm...not really.

another example would be the audio header situated near the primary PCI-E card. surely they mkust understand that the card in there will need good airflow? ive had to bend and tie the cables away otherwise they would be interfering with the fan on my 7800GTX.

BUT it seems stable, ive not had a crash from it yet (apart from when it didnt boot when i put in some overclocking numbers within the bios)

Back
Top Bottom