Huxley preview!

Suspended
Having played Tabula Rasa and been disapointed my hopes are now pinned on this. However lets hope they dont screw over the PC players by making it a poor console port.

Soldato
Noxis said:
Having played Tabula Rasa and been disapointed

Its beta not a demo. While trying not to get anal it really gets me annoyed when people try to get in beta then drop it when they think its crap. You're there to test it not demo it, and as such shouldnt be broadcasting how crap or good it is.

Suspended
Edinho said:
Its beta not a demo. While trying not to get anal it really gets me annoyed when people try to get in beta then drop it when they think its crap. You're there to test it not demo it, and as such shouldnt be broadcasting how crap or good it is.

:rolleyes:

I am not calling into question the condition of the game due to what testing stage it currently is at. The game is going down a path I don't think is right and I personally will never find enjoyable. Unless you have access to the beta forums I cant and wont say any more.

Soldato
You've played Tabula Rasa which means your in beta. You're implying its rubbish which is against NDA. They've been good enough to let you in, is it that difficult to keep quiet?

Suspended
Edinho said:
You've played Tabula Rasa which means your in beta. You're implying its rubbish which is against NDA. They've been good enough to let you in, is it that difficult to keep quiet?

I haven't implied anything, I simply stated I was disappointed. I am sure many people will enjoy it but its not for me.

Man of Honour
OP
Nieldo said:
360 preview :/ hope it doesnt turn out to be a cheap port for the pc.

been looking forward to this for a while.

it wont be and it's not a 360 preview it's the pc preview. as far as I know the 360 is the port and will not be re-leased on the xbox till some months after the pc version. Players also can't fight against each other (pc vs xbox) at the moment.

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.huxleygame.com/forum/huxley-news/2498-games-radar-preview-huxley.html
MMO meets FPS in this ambitious persistent shooter
Dec 17, 07

There’s no place for moonlight walks on the beach in Earth’s far future, because the planet’s celestial satellite is no more. An unidentified object has demolished the moon, causing earthquakes and tidal waves that ravage the Earth’s surface. In the wake of these apocalyptic natural disasters, mankind’s struggle for survival splits the species into two rival factions - the “normal� Sapiens and the mutated Alternatives. The war between the estranged sides is the story behind Huxley, Korean developer Webzen’s upcoming MMO shooter. We got a chance to playtest both the RPG and shooter elements of Huxley, exploring the massive digital cities and battling both human and AI opponents in deathmatch dungeons.

Siding with the Sapiens faction, we started off by customizing our avatar. The Sapiens are split into two physical groups, the ONE and the SYN, which only differ in their visual traits (the ONE are pure humans and the SYNs have slight mutations). After tweaking our facial structure and hair - typical MMO avatar features - we picked one of three play classes, which determine your fighting style and what weapons or armor you can utilize. As the Phantom class, we were a ranged attacker, with lots of energy abilities but weak armor capacity. Huxley will offer players nine weapon categories (Rocket launcher, shotgun, etc.) with hundreds of statistical permutations that you can purchase of loot.

In addition to weapons, we equipped our character with skills, which are both passive and active combat abilities that are used in the real-time deathmatches. Huxley’s skills seem fairly typical and offer expected bonuses, such as faster sprint or improved vision. Picking your skills will be an important part of giving yourself an edge in combat. Each piece of armor has a one to three skill slots; we geared up with infrared, sprint and double jump. Other options available included cloaking, tackle, clone decoys and others that will be unlocked as you level up.

Speaking of levels, gamers in Huxley will rank up through quests and combat to a tentative 50-level cap (which should take about three months of play). At around level 30, you acquire the ability to craft and tune weapons, and the post-level 50 game revolves around clan play and group questing. Dedicated players will eventually earn enough in-game currency to buy property, vehicles and gain special titles like “Gladiator.�

Exploring the Sapien home city of Nostalonia, we were impressed by the intricate amount of style and detail that went into each building and vehicle. Nostalonia is made of six districts, each ornately designed with unique architecture. The main area resembled a Victorian city with a steam punk vibe. Cable-car trolleys that provide inter-city transport stood out against the futuristic looking cars parked along the brick roads. Eska, the Alternative’s home city, will have a completely different style and high-level raids will let players on one side catch a glimpse of their rival’s domain.

Between Nostalonia and Eska are “Battle Zones,� the wastelands where the two factions fight for valuable “Lunerite� energy sources. Huxley will ship with around 20-30 Battle Zone maps at launch, which will support standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, radar domination (control point capture) and component collection PvP gameplay modes. PvE quests take place in Battle Zones and also in underground sewer dungeons, where players face off against a third AI controlled faction: the Hybrids. Defeating these NPC monsters slowly unravels a plot that reveals the secrets of the lunar Armageddon and the dark history of Huxley’s world.
On one PvE quest, we drudged through winding tunnels and large laboratories, blasting away at low-level Hybrid beasts. Slaying these NPCs was fairly easy with circle-strafing, but Webzen promises that the AI will prove to be more challenging in later stages. More exciting, though, were the PvP matches where we faced off against the developers in mid-sized 4v4 maps (the largest maps will accommodate 20v20 firefights). Here, our team automatically formed a squad, which gives each member health buffs when close together. Indicators on the HUD show the direction of your teammates and when they were sufficiently close for squad-status, which was very helpful after respawning from untimely deaths.

As for the gameplay, Huxley’s deathmatch mechanics felt familiar and responsive, as if we were playing Unreal Tournament III (it helps that they’re both built on the same game engine). Learning to activate skills and familiarizing yourself with the wide arsenal of weapons is what makes this more than just your typical online shooter. Competing with 5,000 players to be top dog on a server is a more exciting venture than topping a leaderboard in a random online match. As long as the final deathmatch mechanics are up to snuff, the promised persistence and long-term rewards that come along with being an MMO definitely makes Huxley an exciting proposition for both MMO and shooter fans.

Everytime I check it out it just seems to get better and better.

Associate
They dropped the 100v100 player deathmatches and instances tho! Last time i checked they said it would be more like 20v20. :(

Caporegime

Means nothing, ive been involved in about 15 or so betas and the vast majority of the time the difference between the final product and the beta is a few tweaks that make barely any difference to the game. As you should know a beta is mainly about bug testing, stabiity and tweaking so PLENTY of conclusions can be drawn from it.

Soldato
Means nothing, ive been involved in about 15 or so betas and the vast majority of the time the difference between the final product and the beta is a few tweaks that make barely any difference to the game. As you should know a beta is mainly about bug testing, stabiity and tweaking so PLENTY of conclusions can be drawn from it.

Exactly. I too am in the Tabula Rasa beta and it is pure dump. If anything we are doing you a favor Edinho, saves you from spending money on it to find out its crap.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Tabula Rasa has been out for a long time, so I'm not quite sure what half the people in this thread are rambling on about.

Regardless, I've been waiting for Huxley for a long time, and while my interest has somewhat dwindled, I'll probably pick it up when it does eventually come out.

Caporegime
I seem to be fairly unclear about Huxley, first things i read made it sound like it would have a lot of pvp but would fundamentally be a normal MMO just in fps style so less clicking a button for an attack and more actual aiming and skill involved. THere is PvE right but, theres only really one main city you start from and everythings instanced? so PvE will be doing same maps over and over and over again?

Is it going to be almost COD4 style in leveling? as in a lvl 1 can fight a lvl 50 in a pvp match, but the lvl 50 will have more powerups and better weapons?

As for beta's, i played the TR beta, wasn't significantly different to how it came out it was crap. Most beta's i've played in are incredibly close to how they are in final version. Lotro beta was also very very close bar high res textures which aren't that much better than the next highest versions. To be fair beta's can last a long time and can change quite a bit, but not "that" much. General design of game, the basic gameplay will rarely ever change from initial idea. The biggest thing to happen in beta is things get dropped, like some grandeous idea that simply can't work. Textures can improve, but general design of the game is unlikely to. UI can get minor tweaks but mostly if its horrible in beta it will only be slightly less horrible in final. Quests don't seem to change much, some broken or hard to script ones gone, basic quick to write, code and script ones are added.

Associate
Huxley is going to be relatively good by any reckoning, it's partially what i like about FPS games.
As in Planetside, anyone can kill anyone, regardless of rank and equipment. In games like WoW people are quite literally seperated in terms of gameplay by their level. Whilst obviously there will be different content for higher levels and lower levels, the player interaction in Huxley wil be much greater i think

Back
Top Bottom