Which IT A level is most respected?

Caporegime
Next year I will probably be doing an extra A level just in case I do badly in something else. :p

Now I know they probably aren't well respected, but out of, "Information and Communication Technology", "Computing", and "Applied ICT", which is the best one to do?

EDIT- Applied ICT is a double award.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well ICT, = How to word proccess, how to database design, how to make a website, how to build a computer, computing business.... Tis basicaly common sense, easy to get a good grade and my uni liked it so...

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Applied ITC sounds like it might be more useful (Im going purely on the name here as I have no idea whats involved in each).

Caporegime
OP
Gilly said:
Depends where you want to go afterwards...

Computer science at uni.

Abraham said:
it will be a reasonably easy grade, but probably bore the socks off you, nothing more interesting on offer?

The teacher is looking into it, maybe something else like an m$ or cisco qualification. But I need to make sure I have the entry requirements to the uni as well.

Una

Una

Associate
What do you want to do afterwards? Computing is prolly the best one out of the lot there if you want to do CS. However it won't help "that" much.

Maths, Physics and Futher Maths is your best bet for CS really. I did Maths, Physics and Biology because I couldn't be arsed with more maths heh.

Soldato
i would do maths, at the most basic level you can if you struggle with it
otherwise i'd go with something you're going to enjoy, IT a-levels while not as bad as some people say, wont win you any places at uni, and while they count as a grade, if there is anything (non-IT related) which you would enjoy more i'd do that
IT at a-level is just tedious for 90% of the people doing it

Soldato
If maths is out of the question for you, Computing would be best.

I'd definately recommend doing maths if you intend to do CS at degree though.

Suspended
ICT is pap, my brother in law did it for 2 years at college, wasnt an Alevel but a GNVQ.

Everytime something goes wrong with his PC he brings it to me, the person with no IT qualifications as such.

Man of Honour
As said, maths is best if you want to do Comp Sci.

Those qualifications are pretty easy to describe. Applied ICT - basic office use and some input/output device teaching but it's all usable, not much theory at all. ICT - basically the same but more theory. Computing - Programming, databases, basic hardware architecture. I;d never touch ICT as it's basically for idiots, Computing is what you want if you're going to CS and don't want to/can't do maths A2/AS.

Associate
They arnt looked upon individually, you just get ucas points based on the grades you get. So you could just get loads of points to get into a course which requires a lot by doing easy subjects.

Man of Honour
BenJ said:
They arnt looked upon individually, you just get ucas points based on the grades you get..

Some are. I've seen loads of courses that require you to have Computing/Maths of some kind to get on. Computing/maths would look better to a Computing Faculty than ICT.

Soldato
BenJ said:
They arnt looked upon individually, you just get ucas points based on the grades you get. So you could just get loads of points to get into a course which requires a lot by doing easy subjects.

you are joking yeah..?

for all but the lowest courses you'll need specific grades in fairly specific subjects, even if only 1 subject is required, they look at the rest

the only time you'll get judged on ucas points properly is when you're applying through clearing and that's because they sit there with a points calculator to check if you have good enough grades

Back
Top Bottom