Gave Her a Bath and Took Some Photos..

Man of Honour
Soldato
I've had a resurgence of enthusiasm for wrenching on my car lately, due in no small part to the lapse in the summer heat. As such I've gotten quite a bit of work done. Now that's I'm finished with most of the repairs and modifications I planed I decided my car needed a good cleaning. It turned out rather nicely, I think, so I hope you enjoy looking at these as much as I enjoyed taking them. :)

cat001ke2.jpg

cat002zc2.jpg

cat003ub4.jpg

cat007qy4.jpg

The car is a 1967 Pontiac Catalina Ventura 2-door sedan equipped with a built overbored 400 backed by a slightly modified TH400 transmission. The next frenzy will largely involve the interior. I'm refinishing the stock center console and will be installing new carpet and a headliner. I'm working on securing a cushy new set of seats but I don't expect that that will be finished before fall or winter interrupt my fun.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the compliments, guys. :D

Wang said:
That looks absolutely glorious. Did you buy it in that condition or have you renovated it yourself?
The paint and body is essentially in the condition it was when I bought it. My efforts have been largely focused on the drivetrain and suspension. The paint was OK when I got it 4 years ago and just needed a heavy-handed buff job to remove the oxidation. The body has actually degraded a little bit since while I was driving one night a rather large deer ran out from behind a hedge and rammed headfirst into the side of the car, denting a significant portion of the driver's side rear quarter. I'll fix that one day. :o
Serj said:
How much do these go for then in that sort of condition? If you don't mind me asking :)
I bought it for $2400 in 2003. As above the paint and body are largely how they were but the drivetrain, especially the engine, needed serious work. I reckon it would go for about $5200 if I sold it now.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
The second huge project I'll undertake on it is a manual transmission swap. I'm debating between a Tremec T56 in Camaro spec with an adapter plate and modified flywheel, a TKO-500, or a TKO-600. The T56 is a production double overdrive 6-speed rated for 450 lb-ft torque while the TKOs are aftermarket universal single overdrive 5-speeds rated for 500 and 600 lb-ft respectively. Though I am making nowhere near 450 lb-ft at the moment it does make me a bit nervous, especially if I start hot-rodding the motor again with a lumpier cam, improved heads, or some sort of power adder.

At the same time I'd swap out the factory 10-bolt open rearend for a more stout 12-bolt with a posi differential. The current axle ratio is an embarrassing 2.73:1. I'd like to install either 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gears when I do the swap. This would seem to be ideal; it will really help the car out of the hole at low gears but with overdrive engaged it would be a pleasurable cruiser for long trips. My only concerns are that a) With such a low rear ratio I might have traction troubles at launch and b) that it might be a chore to drive around town with first through third coming into use at speeds below 25 MPH.

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom