Another good Vista

Soldato
Another good Vista Gaming hotfix

Another very good hotfix is out :)

Virtual address space usage in Windows game development

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Fixes the problem which some games have in Vista which cause it to crash when it hits the 2gig limit.

I've tested it on Half Life Episode one (which always crashes when loading next lvl), and Dirt (which used to sometimes drop the to 1fps) both now seem ok.

Download from here:
x64 - http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=2840
x86 - http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=2830

Edit: Oops should check my thread titles before clicking post

Last edited:
Permabanned
Interesting! Is this that thing about Vista using more memory in games then?

Gonna run CS:S stress test before and after once I've installed it on x64 Vista. :)

Soldato
OP
Dont think it'll make anything faster, it just stops certain games crashing when they hit the limit. i.e. BF2 HL2:ep1

I'd had to mod the BF2.exe to remove the 2gig limit, but you couldn't do the same on ep one since it always redownloads the file.

This hotfix appears to fix it on the os side :)

If you want speed increases get the two performance packs

Edit: oh and its not that vista uses more mem which causes this problem, its because video mem is included on the 2gig limit under vista. Due to the new way graphics are done.

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the link (x64)

I was having problems with Insurgency Mod for HL2 when it reloaded a new map and also 2142, which i had to mod the exe to fix

Will test this over the next few days

Soldato
OP
The hotfix in this thread isn't a beta, and it wont cause a problem.

As for the other performance ones they are getting dropped out through windows update (maybe this wed), and I doubt them being a beta will matter. The updater will just check the file versions and install the latest ones.

Soldato
modo77 said:
Dont think it'll make anything faster, it just stops certain games crashing when they hit the limit. i.e. BF2 HL2:ep1

I'd had to mod the BF2.exe to remove the 2gig limit, but you couldn't do the same on ep one since it always redownloads the file.

This hotfix appears to fix it on the os side :)

If you want speed increases get the two performance packs

Edit: oh and its not that vista uses more mem which causes this problem, its because video mem is included on the 2gig limit under vista. Due to the new way graphics are done.

how do you mod the bf2.exe to work in vista 64 with no crashes? or do you not need to mod the exe file if this patch is installed?

Last edited:
Soldato
brilliant, i used to hate the crashes when playing the game with my cousins round. really took the fun out of the game. but now it shoudl be great.

also would this make test drive unlimited work with vista 64bit and 4gigs of ram? normally tdu would just crash when loading up.

Back
Top Bottom