The truth about Hiper 580w PSU's WARNING LARGE PICS

Soldato
ok, iv started this thread which will hopefully help to identify or work out why the 580w hiper psu's keep blowing up, well the newer batches mostly.
normally i would resize the pics for forums to 1024x768 but due to the nature of this thread i need to keep original size to help identify components better. hopefully this will not be too much of an issue for speed, if it slows down loading i can just hotlink the pics insted of embedding them.
first the warning, large pics are gonna be comming. this psu iv taken pictures of is currently working, has probably been used for less than 2 hours and is a very new one, was bought from the shop a month ago my my mate.

hiper1.JPG

hiper2.JPG

hiper3.JPG

hiper4.JPG

hiper5.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hiper6.JPG

ok those pics are up now. as you guys can see the new psu is a lot lighter than the older 580w ones. the heatsinks are totally different. dunno if someone can identofy those brands of capacitors though, all i can see is the primary which is 330uf 400v rated at 85c

Last edited:
Soldato
fan.jpg

Not very good quality, but if you look carefully though the gaps, you can see larger heatsinks, deffenitly had changed in PSU manufacture here, surely the Type-R M and Type-R Modular will have same insides apart from the modual difference?

Soldato
OP
now taken form the johnny guru review of a 580w hiper done last year august time:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=16

we can see there is a lot more stuff inside the psu compared to the newer one iv opened up.

as mentioned above by willhub, both type-R and type-M have both the same internals, just one has modular connectiosn the other one has non modular. very big difference in quality there.
in the johnnyguru review the old primary caps were rated to 105c too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
who is the OEM for hiper? well for that psu iv opend up above? iv not seen that design before, does seem quite empty and some of those heatsink, just a metal plate don;t look too good to me.

just need someone else to open up an older unit now and take a look inside.

Soldato
OP
old thread i know, but if anyone has a blown up hiper 580w before you bin it open it up and show us some pics, would like to see how it looks compared to the one above, if its a new design or the older one.

Soldato
My Hiper PSU was bought over 2 years ago and it still blew - I think the REALLY old ones are supposed to be ok, and around the time i bought it, it got bad....and now they have sorted themselves out and the newer ones are ok.........mine was pretty heavy aswell.

Thats what i heard anyways.....

Man of Honour
Well mine was the older variety and it still blew up and took out a motherboard with it. It literally did blow up too. Bloody great bang, flames and thick acrid smoke. Other's will tell the same story. They were blowing up long before the newer ones came along so i feel that this is barking up the wrong tree. It doe'snt matter if it's an old type or a new type. They blow up and that's that.

Back
Top Bottom