Received my new N82 today... frst impressions...

Caporegime
For me the N73 was easily the best phone I ever had, the camera was decent if not outstanding, but the fact that it had so much functionality (sat-nav, organiser etc) and that while occasionally slow it rarely ever keeled over won it a firm place in my heart. The N82 is the spiritual successor in every way and then some!:)

PICS HERE http://richdog.smugmug.com/gallery/4002274#232860207

-------------------------------------------------

External Looks/Feel:

It isn't going to win any awards here lets face it... it's standard Nokia N-series candybar format, a bit plain. Functional. Having said that, it isn't ugly by any means, and personally I can't abide sliders and clamshells. I like it neat and simple, just like my quim (I kid, I kid). With regards to feel... despite still being made all of plastic (Nokia, ffs sort it out) it feels solid, much more solid than the N73 did. Less plasticky, less fragile, no creakage.

While I loved my N73, I found the buttons a pain in the arse for texting, I've reasonably large hands and would constantly mis-press due to their overly flat design. Here the N82 excels. The buttons are small and protruding... there is plenty of space around each button making for easy and pressing, and I can write texts swiftly and comfortably. I'm very happy with them. The directional pad is also very flat to the phone, whioch is good in the respect that it isn't going to fall off like the old N73 joystick, but some may find it trickier to navigate.

The phone features a micro-USB port for PC connectivity (thank God they got rid of the horrible proprietry thing) and it is stable and steady. However, I would have much preferred it use the much more common mini-USB port for the sake of convenience, as I already have loads of cables/chargers for those lying around. Memory card (Micro SD) slot is placed on the left side, as is the charger entry (which I personally think is a poor and rather odd choice, keep it on the bottom). All inputs seem to be on the left, naturally barring the 3.5mm headphone jack situated at the top of the device.

Dimension-wise, it's no deeper than the N73, indeed it appears more streamlined somehow due to the design, but it is slightly wider. However, I definately prefer it.

Speed/Interface:

First thing I did when I got the phone was customise it to exactly how I had my N73, and install some apps. Then played around entering and exiting them and just generally trying to make it sweat a little. The N73 had only little memory... I believe it was roughly around 20-25MB, and when the phone had been in my hands a while it quickly ran out of free RAM, making gliding about the phone as pleasurable as swimming the River Humber in concrete shorts.

In comparison, the N82 has a whopping 100MB (or just over), and the difference is like night and day. The different menus and sections open snappily. Programs open and exit swiftly, tomtom is about 3x quicker when navigating in and out and through the options, and the phone just feels 10x better than the N73 did even on its best day. This for me is a huge relief, and i'm looking forward to experimenting further with more intensive programs and reporting back with some further feedback.

Camera:

Ok be honest... you were really wondering about the camera, right? Is it as good as they say? How does the spangly new xenon flash fare? Well, my answer to that would be only to say that it is leagues ahead of any other camera phone I have ever used including the K800i. The flash is a proper flash, xenon as mentioned, and noticeably brighter than that of the K800i, which was the first phone to feature it.

The camera is opened by flipping the switch on the back of the phone, this way of opening the lens is much less intrusive than on the N73, and importantly, it isn't going to open/close by accident in your jeans pocket. It's how they should have designed it in the first place to be honest.

Stills image quality seems decent, the flash obviously helps massively in this department, but what really struck me was the video quality, it rocks! Full 640x480, 30fps, "DVD quality" (use the term loosely) video capture... and it really is smooth as a babys bum! Sound q2uality in the video was also very clear, and it's obvious they've improved the mic pickup and clarity on this model. What else I find awesome is the cable that comes with the phone that will plug into any modern TV, and connect it via the 3.5mm headphone jack. You can then run the phone through the TV, displaying any videos, photos you like... or even just randomly (if somewhat pointlessly) using the TV as you use the camera scree, for browsing the menus and texting etc etc. However, it's really only useful for the videos, and provides a fantastic and very speedy means of showing off what you've captured.

Lastly, and perhaps as important as the good picture quality is this... the speed of the camera, both which it loads up, shuts down, and also time between pics. With the N73 it was oftn a nightmare, the phones low memry made switching between camera and OS a royal pain, and it would frequently get confused or stuck when changing between video and stills etc. Not any more... it really is leagues ahead, and taking a row of still is now painless, with no confusion and a consistently low time between shots. Yay, at last!

Sound:

One area I found the N73 very weak was sound... if you had music playing through the speakers (for whatever reason) it would sound tiny and distorted at higher levels. Not so with the N82. While it's obviously never going to rival a speaker system, the stereo sound quality is noticeably improved with the N82. Overall I think it is a tad quieter, but this is compensated for with much richer sound quality. Music through the speakers doesn't sound bad at all for what it is. However most impressive to me was the sound quality through a pair of good Sennheiser headphones... rich and warm with good (surprisingly good) bass.

However.. the sound is too quiet. Compared to the N73 it's a lto quierter especially when playing via the speakers. Nokia claim this was due to new "regulations" but come on... this is below what it should be.

Battery/GPS:

I always feel these two go hand in hand for obvious reasons and the truth is... I haven't had chance to see either aspect yet. The GPS isn't something i'll really use until it can work with tomtom, and battery life always needs a few days to get a feel for. However with it's higher capacity battery (than the N95) it shouldn't be TOO bad when using the features. I'll get back to you on this one.

UPDATE:-
Ok i've been using the GPS today and wow... I am seriously impressed. I turned off A-GPS as I don't like the idea of it constantly using data charges and the GPS locks onto a signal literally within 10 seconds. Not only that... but the bloody thing has a good signal inside me house, in my bedroom! I never got that even with Sirfstar III... to say i'm pleasantly surprised is a complete understatement... over the moon is more like it! I have Garmin Mobile XT installed and it's not skipping a beat... detected the internal GPS with only minor modification (basically you need to add a single file to the memory card) and as I said, once you get a GPS lock by holding it out of a window for 10 secs you can then take it inside the house and it has 3 to 4 bars constant. Unbelievable.

With regards to battery life, I gave it a full charge in the morning and hammered it until empty during the day. bear in mind the usage I gave it was not considered "normal"... I was using the flash a lot, taking videos, making calls, installing programs, testing the GPS for a short while, playing MP3's etc, and basically the LCD was backlit for most of the day. It lasted from around 8:30am until 11:00pm before it started moaning at me and I turned it off as I was at a mates and wanted some charge left in the morning. Over 14 hours is NOT bad for all that usage! I've ordered a spare genuine battery off of Ebay too, so that if I ever do get caught short then I have a backup on me.

Initial Conclusion:

This is the phone I have been looking for... same and greater functionality then the N73 with none of the horrible speed issues due to the vastly superior memory. It supports the new SDHC Micro SD cards for capacities up to and in excess of 8GB (which cost roughly £40), so space should never really be an issue, whether it be for mobile pr0n (looks good by the way:D) or MP3's.

I can't wait to put this phone through it's paces over the next few days, and as I do os i'll put on some pics and if people have any spare web space i'll send them a video to upload for me. This is what the N73 always wanted to be, and with its built-in GPS, decent capacity batter and of course the magnificant camera with xenon flash I can't see me getting tired of it over the next 12 months. :cool:

Good things:

*Streamlined candy-bar format (no sucky slider)
*Speedy and responsive interface (due to a plentiful 128MB of RAM)
*Awesome photo and powerful xenon flash
*Awesome video capabilities 640x480 @ 30fps
*VERY strong GPS receiver (even non-assisted), locks-on in seconds and doesn't skip a beat
*Good sound, 3.5mm jack

Bad things:

*Not the best-looking phone ever created
*Sound is too quiet!
*Charging point is on the side (why?), would prefer the more common mini-USB

I'll update this as I find new things... :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Very nice review you have done there Richdog...:)

Here a link to a good preview of this mobile phone here http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n82-en.shtml

Richdog;10689997[B said:
Battery/GPS[/B]
However with it's higher capacity battery (than the N95) it shouldn't be TOO bad when using the features. I'll get back to you on this one.
:confused:
My N95 8Gb has 1200mAh were these N82 meant to have 1050mAh

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Oops..forgot about the silver n95 having a lower capacity battery...:o

I want the N82 top mounted 3.5mm headphone socket / camera xenon flash / camera lens cover for my n95 8Gb...:(
About £340 to £350 including p&p

Yeah, bingo. Not too fussed about it as a) I want a good candybar phone and b) i'm taking out an o2/Vodafone contract in the next couple of weeks so will sell the free N95 8GB I get for £250 or so. :)

The flash on this is really good, just took another pic of my room and it lights it up brilliantly!

I'll upload some soon. :)

Caporegime
OP
Im writing this on my n82 using a mates wireless and the more i use this phone the more i love it! Tested the gps outside and it got a fix within seconds, cant wait to try it out on the garmin software i should have by tonight. Amazing little device! :D

Soldato
Im writing this on my n82 using a mates wireless and the more i use this phone the more i love it! Tested the gps outside and it got a fix within seconds, cant wait to try it out on the garmin software i should have by tonight. Amazing little device! :D
Richdog if you get the garmin software can let me know if the garmin maps covers the street names in the channel islands please.......

Permabanned
It available on O2 on Mobileshop (dont thing this is a competitor?) looks a nice phone, im just going to wait for the Samsun I560, and see which is the better phone, finally a phone i like from Nokia, decent camera and not a bulky effort like the N95.

Caporegime
OP
Ok i've been using the GPS today and wow... I am seriously impressed. I turned off A-GPS as I don't like the idea of it constantly using data charges and the GPS locks onto a signal literally within 10 seconds. Not only that... but the bloody thing has a good signal inside me house, in my bedroom! I never got that even with Sirfstar III... to say i'm pleasantly surprised is a complete understatement... over the moon is more like it!

With regards to battery life, I gave it a full charge in the morning and hammered it until empty during the day. bear in mind the usage I gave it was not considered "normal"... I was using the flash a lot, taking videos, making calls, installing programs, testing the GPS for a short while, playing MP3's etc, and basically the LCD was backlit for most of the day. It lasted from around 8:30am until 11:00pm before it started moaning at me and I turned it off as I was at a mates and wanted some charge left in the morning. Over 14 hours is NOT bad for all that usage! I've ordered a spare genuine battery off of Ebay too, so that if I ever do get caught short then I have a backup on me.

This device is the evolution of all Nokia phones before it... I can't put it down...

Oh yeah, I promised pics didn't I... :D

Permabanned
Hmm...hard to tell though with battery life day in day out until you use it for long enough. I personally can't buy a phone unless I know its got battery life where it only needs charging once to twice a week as it drives me insane. I'm not a heavy phone user though.

Caporegime
OP
Hmm...hard to tell though with battery life day in day out until you use it for long enough. I personally can't buy a phone unless I know its got battery life where it only needs charging once to twice a week as it drives me insane. I'm not a heavy phone user though.

Then you need a very basic phone if you want that sort of charge. The larger the technology inside, the quicker it will drain. Doesn't bother me though, I have a charger at home, at work, I just stick it on every night. :)

Pics on their way!

Back
Top Bottom