Sky Broadband

Soldato
Hi guys

Am looking into skys see, surf and speak package thing they have on and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Paying full whack for sky for programs we never watch, so would like to save a bit more money and get the whole shabang :D

Cheers :)

Soldato
I'm on Sky broadband. Have had it since the end of September, it has so far gone down twice (for periods of less than an hour), and I get a stable 10-11 meg connection.

Not bad for £10 a month in my view.

Edit: Just re-checked, getting 13.3 at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was with 'em for the whole package at nearly £60 a month (if I remember correctly).

I live less than 1 kilometer from the main exchange and was promised 10meg but rarely got any more than 5meg.
After a year of crap service and poo TV, I cancelled everything. They then wrote several times asking if anything was wrong.

Hope you have better luck.

Man of Honour
I had Sky 16mb service, connected first 2 weeks at good speeds then no more than 7mb then 6mb then 5mb...

After 2 months cancelled everything. Router needed daily reboots, connection went slow etc etc it was endless. Now paying £19 more a month for 20MB virgin media and after 115 days to today not a single fault with the line, modem or router.

I too hope you have better luck.

Soldato
I've used them since March. I'm not on the full bundle as BT gave me a free option pack when I signed up, so TV and broadband.

Initially on the BT connect as the exchange LLU was full. I'm close to the exchange so got the headline rate. Was automatically converted to LLU in around August, then phoned and got the 16Mb. Here's where I had a problem - someone screwed up and didn't update the config properly. I was connected to LLU while other bits still had settings for the BT network. Tech support on the phone were useless (and didn't properly understand Macs!) so I wasted about £15 on the phone to them. Did some digging myself, tracked the problem down and on the suggestion of someone on a Sky forum emailed Tech Support with the some extended tech data from the router. Got fixed within 20 minutes!

So ... the phone technical support sucks - just email them! No other problems and I'm very happy with the speed and quality of connection.

Deleted member 64478

D

Deleted member 64478

had sky broadband for around a year and 2 months. Lets say I am still with them without problems.

Associate
We got Sky about 6 months ago, had a few problems - took them a couple of weeks to get us an Internet connection because of problems, and then a few months ago we lost the net completely for 2 weeks and they had no idea why, it just suddenly came back!

The only problem I found was that it had extremely high pings (i.e. 120ms in UK CSS servers) but I had them change a setting as suggested by the guys over at Sky User and the pings more than halved!

SCM

SCM

Associate
I just swapped to them a few months back and have no issues with them at all. Told my line would be up to 8mb and so far i am getting that for download speeds, sub 40 pings in games servers so i am happy enough at moment. I am on the £17 a month package due to my exchange not being upgraded yet but for what i use the net for this is fine right now.

SCM

Associate
Had it for nearly a year and after an initial settle in period no problems.

Gaming pings are higher thoug, interested to hear how you got yours lowered and did it come at the cost of lowering your speed?

Permabanned
Been on Sky max for about 6 months and haven't really had a problem. Get fast speeds, stable connection and low pings for £10 a month. :)

Gaming pings are higher thoug, interested to hear how you got yours lowered and did it come at the cost of lowering your speed?
My pings were around 50 which have now been halved to around 25 by asking sky to lower the max delay to 8. Didn't affect my speeds at all.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/16513-sky-have-listened-gamers.html

Associate
Sky Broadband use BT exchange and lines like every other broadband supplier except cable.

The speed you get is down to distance from exchange and contention ratio.

Around my way, many people locally have changed to sky broadband and found no real change in speed. I am 4+ miles from exchange and am limited to 2.5 meg line.

I am an AOL customer and I pay £10 a month for their Gold product.

Set up an AOL account now and you can get a free PS3, strangely, existing customers get nothing!!!!

Associate
Hi all

i am currently just about to change from Pipex to Sky and was just wondering about the routers. I am currently using a Belkin router, which I am perfectly happy with, will I be able to just use this instead of switching to the one Sky are going to send me?

Deleted member 64478

D

Deleted member 64478

Hi all

i am currently just about to change from Pipex to Sky and was just wondering about the routers. I am currently using a Belkin router, which I am perfectly happy with, will I be able to just use this instead of switching to the one Sky are going to send me?

Correct, http://www.skyuser.co.uk/ will give you all the answers you need.

Back
Top Bottom