Multi Lane Roundabouts

Soldato
It seems every now and again on my way home I'll come across someone who doesn't understand how multi-lane roundabouts work. Resulting in a few near misses. Now spiral roundabouts do of course move the lanes over, but only when you pass an exit. You don't move over one lane when you join the roundabout, otherwise why would there be 3 exit lanes and 3 lanes on the roundabout?

Anyone else get this problem, or anyone even think I'm wrong?

Here is how it's supposed to work:

roundabout.jpg

[/rant]

Soldato
You see the markings on the road at the bottom of the roundabout, behind the white car - they say that the left lane is for straight, middle lane is for straight/right, and right lane for right. Following that round the roundabout...

I'd say red definitely turns left off the roundabout, blue is left/right (around roundabout), yellow should split off into the right-most two lanes, carrying on round the roundabout.

Why would a car in the left-most lane coming onto the roundabout from the bottom (red line) go straight past the first exit and round the roundabout??? That's what the middle/right lanes would be.

Soldato
Depending how often you visit that roundabout you get used to it, I come across a couple that are seriously flawed so people only use the left lane to go left, that is until someone who is new comes to and uses it to go forward and nearly has an accident.

The council should change it but I don't think they care about the area, considering a pedestrian crossing with lights lasts for 5 seconds over four lanes lol

Soldato
OP
Seems clear to me the red line should go left ONLY. Is this what you're saying?

There are road markings saying that the red lane can go left or right. But many seem to think that it goes left only, meaning I tend to get cut off by cars in the blue lane. Even though I have right of way.

Soldato
Seems very, very stupid to me.

I would suggest that if you want to go straight, use the middle lane, which is the most common scenario, that way you should hopefully avoid being cut up as often.

Soldato
There are road markings saying that the red lane can go left or right. But many seem to think that it goes left only, meaning I tend to get cut off by cars in the blue lane. Even though I have right of way.

Going from the information you've provided, the road markings are probably not very logical, but you would expect that from a pencil pushing council employee.

However, I wouldn't think you have right of way. You're crossing a white line, so it's up to you to make sure it's safe and clear to do so.

Soldato
OP

I would suggest that if you want to go straight, use the middle lane, which is the most common scenario, that way you should hopefully avoid being cut up as often.
Yeah I do that now, use the blue lane, middle exit ---> middle lane.

Soldato
OP
From those markings, it's clear that the straight arrow denotes the first exit, and the right arrow denotes continuing on the roundabout, so therefore only the middle lane has the choice of taking the first exit or continuing.

I've added another close up picture, maybe you didn't see it at the time of posting. As the lamppost gets in the way.

But the arrow posts left and straight ahead. To me that suggests the left exit, or straight ahead on the 1st lane of the roundabout.

Soldato
You're crossing the white line. The markings are wrong. The left lane is designed to be left only.

You would agree that the second lane has two options, first exit or go round to second exit? The lane markings give two options, "straight on"=first exit, and "right"=go around.

Hence the "left" on the left hand lane is rubbish. That's the only incorrect bit on the roundabout. Tell the council.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed, I think there must be a mistake with road marking.

Left lane is supposed for the left exit only - hence you have 3 lanes entrance to the roundabout. Middle either go to left or straight ahead.

Also you're not meant to cross the lines at roundabout unless you're in the wrong lane.

Soldato
OP
You're crossing the white line.

You have to cross the white lines to get on the round about.

The markings are wrong. The left lane is designed to be left only.

You would agree that the second lane has two options, first exit or go round to second exit? The lane markings give two options, "straight on"=first exit, and "right"=go around.

Hence the "left" on the left hand lane is rubbish. That's the only incorrect bit on the roundabout. Tell the council.

But the arrows state otherwise.

1st Arrow: It's left (1st exit) or straight ahead (2nd exit). This is backed up by the "A40" wording, which is straight ahead.

The middle arrows state you can go straight ahead, or right (3rd exit).

Soldato
2 and 3 lane roundabouts do my nut, because other drivers seem to try going straight over them (for little ish ones anyways) then look at me like I'm a ****** because I'm using the lane markings, beeping at them and having to floor it to avoid disaster, which would go 50:50 insurance wise !!

Back
Top Bottom