• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

e8400 + IP35 Pro, 127 deg in BIOS - 15-17 deg difference between cores

Duh... that ain't right:

doing_it_wrong.jpg

Neither is this:

25012008044.jpg

The CPU fan is ramped up and doing 10 to the dozen, it's all at stock 333x9 @ default volts. Bios is latest, rev 14 - 09/06/2007.

Anyone else seeing this, or anything like this? I know Coretemp is a bit glitchy, but this looks like a board/CPU specific epic fail to me...

edit - now CPU reads as 249 degrees C in BIOS after another CMOS reset.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
that's a tad dissapointing, here's hoping Abit pull there fingers out & release another bios pronto, i'm curious to see what mine will read as i'm on water & got an 8500 coming tomorrow ( assuming citylink don't stuff up ).

Soldato
OP
Yeah that seems to have done it, Coretemp is still way off though and Speedfan doesn't pick up the CPU. Oh and the Beta of that crashes so I've got no way to accurately gauge the temps anyway. Nuts.

Soldato
Not really temperatures are all over atm due to dodgy bios etc.

Speedfan is my best option as Core Temp over reads by like 20c

TAT won't work on 45nm, at least not the old version.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just reinstalled Speedfan 4.33 and it's picking up one value for CPU now which is around 28 degrees, there's no per core temp listing though. Is this what you're seeing?

Coretemp at least shows both cores, albeit one is mental. Ah well, have to wait for an update I guess.

Soldato
Just reinstalled Speedfan 4.33 and it's picking up one value for CPU now which is around 28 degrees, there's no per core temp listing though. Is this what you're seeing?

Coretemp at least shows both cores, albeit one is mental. Ah well, have to wait for an update I guess.

This is the socket temperature, it's fairly close to how hot the CPU actually is give or take 5c and it's your best bet of monitoring temps atm.

Soldato
OP
Been playing around with this a bit more, and to say it's unstable on the latest beta BIOS release is an understatement. Seems if I'm running anything monitoring temp, I get blue screens.

The current BIOS (rev 16 beta 4) reports correct (afaik) temps in the BIOS and on uGuru but Coretemp still has a massive difference between cores.

There's loads of people on the Abit forums saying they're seeing the same thing too, think there will be another BIOS release pretty quickly for this as Abit have already acknowledged the problem.

Soldato
Its more than likely the cpu's themselves, Im running a 45nm quad and the Pro needed the 16B04 bios too read correctly. Even then one core is 10c off, there was talk of the 45nm quad delays down to some errata like problem with temp reading. People have RMA chips and received one back that works fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also I know of someone with the same batch as me, there Core Temp works fine. Mine seems to over read. We both have different motherboards.

Surely this points more towards a Bios issue?

Soldato
OP

Interesting read, so it maybe faulty/badly calibrated Tdiodes causing this? I'm getting more and more tempted to RMA this on Monday, as some people are having success with IP35s and the e8400s and Core Temp also appears to be working which would indicate a batch of shady CPUs.

I thought it was Abit that were at fault, but 16B04 cured the iffy temps in BIOS and the Core Temp readings have stayed consistent so I'm leaning away from them now.

There's also the problem that this CPU is unstable, Firefox has crashed twice this morning and I had 4-5 blue screens in 15 minutes last night before I got cheesed off and hit the sack. This was on a system previously stable at 400x9 on an e6600 8 hours Orthos.

This smacks of the AMD Thoroughbred A/B fracas to me, compatible boards and re-releases of CPUs etc...

Back
Top Bottom