Quad Core Games

spp

spp

Associate
I'd also like to know if FSX utilizes quad cores. I seem to remember reading that the patch released for it had multi core support, but can't remember if it was just dual core support or more.

Soldato
Quite a few games utilize quad core cpus, i don't know of any that really need it. Dual core will be just fine until at least Christmas I'm willing to bet (poor ports and supreme commander sequels aside.

Soldato
With Crysis (and probably many other games) the bottleneck is probably GPU performance in most systems, so it wouldn't make a significant difference to the frame rate however many cores it's made to take advantage of.

Man of Honour
can't remember if it was just dual core support or more.

Theoretically pretty much every game which is dual core optimized should also be quad optimized as well, assuming it more than 2 threads.

Diminishing returns are inevitable because in the vast majority of cases, 1 or 2 threads are hugely more demanding than all the rest put together. You could have a 100 core cpu and it wouldn't be much use if everything was bottlenecked by say the rendering thread.

Soldato
How about a list of Quad-Core games that actually make and show a difference using the extra cores ;)

Supreme Commander definitely does use quad (especially with several AI players), although it also scales well with extra graphics power. Alan Wake was demo'ed on a Q6600.

Back
Top Bottom