• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Issues with 3870X2

Associate
Hi

I got this card today Asus 3870x2 via Overclockers and , I am having probs trying to install drivers.

RAM: 4GB DDR2
CPU E6600 Quad @ 3.0ghz
FSB: 1333 MHZ

Now I uninstalled my old CAT 8.1s and shut down the PC . Put in new card ,booted up and reinstalled the 8.1's again . Got the blank screen and waited about 10 mins and did a reboot . PC came up ok but i was unsure if drivers installed ok so I uninstalled the 8.1s and did a soft reboot. This time i booted into Safe Mode and ran Driver CLeaner..

Booted into Win and installed 8.1 , rebooted and CCC told me it could not find compatible ATI Hardware

so I uninstalled the 8.1s and did a soft reboot, booted into Safe Mode and ran Driver CLeaner..Booted into Win and installed 8.1 , rebooted and CCC told me it could not find compatible ATI Hardware AGAIN.

Tried installing the 8.1 hotfix over this and it didnt help so I unistalled everything again , installed the hotfix on its own , rebooted , installed the 8.1 rebooted and then it worked , but CCC tells me I have a 3800 series card , 512 RAM and 3Dmark score of 15k....... I was getting 11K with last card ..

What am I doing wrong here ?

I did not try the drivers that came with the Asus card yet , should I ?

Best rgds
Martin

Associate
OP
Ok well I installed the Asus drivers (8.1) and rebooted. I didnt get any errors referring to no Ati Hardware found and CCC shows the 3870x2 but I dont see any reference to Crossfire and the Overclock Icon is not there .

Ran 3Dmark again and same score of 15k......

Should I just wait for the new Cat's ?

Regards
Martin

Caporegime
Welcome to the forums. :)

It looks about right to me, 15k is a good score, and you do have a 3800, and is the CCC only saying 512mb as its DDR (Double Data Rate), so you go 512mb x 2, not sure on that though as its been a while since ive used ATi, but im sure someone will be along who will know, and be able to help.

Associate
OP
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Yeah its 512 per core so 1GB in total.

I am sure most of these issues will be resolved in the next driver release ...... its just annoying , it shouldnt be this painful !

cheers
Martin

Associate
OP
Hmm nup im still not convinced .... loaded up GPU-Z and it tells me ATI CrossFire is disabled ! Bleh !!!!

gpuz.gif

Associate
On mine the card is listed correctly as a 3870x2 but also says crossfire is disabled, how many entries should I have for the 3870x2 in device manage/gpu z - I only ask because mine is showing 2 but the second one has low clocks :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very puzzled by this card, I have no overclocking options in CCC they are all greyed out and gpu-z shows two similar cards but the second one has different temperature and clocks.

Should I be seeing two 3870x2's in device manager ?

Associate
OP
You don't get double performance from 2x cards, it doesn't work like that, id say 15k is about right still. :)

If you don't have 1x 8x Pin in, then your overclocking TAB will be greyed out.

Theres a big thread here with X2 results in, may help.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17835250

Hi

I am using 2 x 6 Pins (coming off the CPU)

Would using 1x8PIN make any other difference ? Where can I get one of these ? Will take a look at that thread thanks

Martin

Associate
I'm very puzzled by this card, I have no overclocking options in CCC they are all greyed out and gpu-z shows two similar cards but the second one has different temperature and clocks.

Should I be seeing two 3870x2's in device manager ?

Click on the lock picture in the CCC to unlock the overclocking options, I made the same mistake :)

GPU-Z reports the wrong clocks for me also.

I see two 3870X2's in Device Manger.

Associate
OP
Click on the lock picture in the CCC to unlock the overclocking options, I made the same mistake :)

Yeah I have seen that before but i dont even get the lock pic on CCC . It doesnt show that part of the menu.

Associate

You just made me look very stupid.... but I could hug you :p:D

That worked spot on - probably should create an x2 sticky and document all these little 'issues' :cool::D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi

I am using 2 x 6 Pins (coming off the CPU)

Would using 1x8PIN make any other difference ? Where can I get one of these ? Will take a look at that thread thanks

Martin

No, all the 8x Pin does is allow you to overclock within the drivers overdrive option, using 2x 6 Pins means you can't use that, so you have to use another overclocking tool, like ATi Tool etc... instead, if they now have versions out that work with the X2's. :)

Back
Top Bottom