• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9800gx2 - Just got and not happy

Associate
Just got a nice new BFG 9800gx2 from overclockers, great service as usual guys. Installed it in my rig, nice quad core dual screen setup. Now i only get 1 screen working with this damm card, lots of blue dots on the other screen and no way of haveing both screens running at the same time, looks like i'm going back to a 8800gtx :(

Associate
Is SLI enabled? If it is then this normally restricts the output to one monitor (at least in two card SLI set-ups).

Soldato
I thought it did not support 2 screens over being an sli card ? could be wrong.

was the pci bracket slightly bent on yours ?

Soldato
Yea 2 monitors wont be working ever if you want to use both cards on the GX2, if you want a dual card setup and dual monitor a good place to start would be the 3870X2 but with a performance loss compared to the 9800GX2.

Just send the GX2 to me and I'll give you an 8800GT overclocked for free that handles dual monitors just fine :D:p.

Caporegime
slightly off topic.... can crossfire handle dual monitors?

Yes it can, SLi is a ******* joke compared to Crossfire, Nvidia seriously need to update it as AMD's showing em how its done, no having to disable Crossfire to run dual screens, no having to use the same exact cards (i.e 2x 3870 XT's etc...), as Crossfire can mix and match, (i.e you can pair a 3870 with a 3850), and they'll still both run at their own sperate speeds, unlike crappy SLi, where if the 2x exact cards have differing speeds, then the faster one has to go in the the first slot, and then it drops down to the same speeds as the one in the 2nd slot, lmfao. :D :D

If your going dual cards, CrossfireX is the only way to go. :)

Come on Nvidia, we know you aint updated your cards in nearly 2 years, but surely you can't leave SLi in the dark ages to. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Actually its perfectly possible with SLI to run 2 different cards (aslong as like the 3870/3850 the 2 cards are the same architecture) and at different speeds... but if you've ever tried it (even with crossfireX) its less than ideal imo there is a quite deffinate jerkiness to the rendering... I wouldn't say it was a major plus that crossfire supports it.

The lack of multi-monitor support is a bit of a downer.

Associate
You can run dual screens when using SLi but it involves using a 3rd graphics card, preferably not nvidia.

The exact details of how to stop the drivers fighting with each other evade me, but I'm sure you can google it =).

Associate
The ability to use slower/different cards with various speeds in crossfire is always going to hamper performance i would have thought. Cant see this being a performance plus point, just a wider selection of upgrade paths.

Associate
That's shocking that you can't use both monitor outputs when the SLI on the card is enabled - that can't be true, right? Isn't the SLI-ness supposed to be transparent as "it's just one card" according to nvidia?

Back
Top Bottom