Vulcan!

Associate
I didn't think I'd ever get to take pictures of one of these taking to the sky but today at RAF Cottesmore I did!

The weather was better than forecast but not good. Still working though what I shot but this is the pick of the bunch so I'll share this for now. Maybe more to follow depending on quality....

RAF-Avro-Vulcan-B2-XH558-Take-off-photo.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for comments!

Did you use your 300mm F/4 by any chance? :D

I didn't, as I've not shot a Vulcan before I didn't know what focal length I would need so went with my 100-400 L IS instead.

I have got some shots of the 300 f/4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS for you but they are in a queue of other shots I need to look at first :D

Soldato
hopefully XH558 will attend a few airshows this year, so it won't be very rare. half the fun of a Vulcan is the noise when they fly, but I've been told it doesn't make the same noise any more...

nice shots mate!

Man of Honour
but I've been told it doesn't make the same noise any more...

It does... :D

Same 201 engines - same howl...

However - due to losing so much weight - I believe it was in the 10 tons area iirc, they may not use full power any more. They certainly don't need to - so the howl won't be as loud, but it will still be there.

This also has the benefit of preserving the life of their engines. The most wear happens in the top few percent - so reducing that by even 3% helps. They only have 8 and then thats it. Can't rebuild them or retrofit other ones.

Noise is the same as ever though. :D

Soldato
Good to see her back in the skies again, with a bit of luck we'll see it at some shows this year, I believe it was going to appear down the road from me <waddington> this year, but i'm not sure :confused:

Soldato
Awesome plane would really love to see it fly myself!!! the shots look great also mate! Looks like you had difficult plant spotting conditions there to be fair with the very gery monotone cloud behind!

Soldato
shame that they had to abort the test due to that starboard undercarriage cover not retracting :(

Hope that she makes it North at some point, Leuchars show would be good. :)

Back
Top Bottom