Speaker upgrade for 2000 Renault Megane Scenic?

Soldato
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my Scenic as they're a bit rubbish, I'd just like a little more clarity, and a modicum of bass extension, as there's absolutely none now! :(

What size speakers should I be looking for?

Will component speakers fit relatively easily?

I'll be sticking with the standard Renault cassette head unit and multichanger, and would prefer to pay less than £50 for the fronts, and not really sure whether I'd benefit from upgrading the rears too?

Thanks in advance. :)

Soldato
I'll be sticking with the standard Renault cassette head unit and multichanger,

There's your problem. Is it the 6-speaker system with tweeters in the top corners of the dashboard? If so, my Megane had the same system. A new head unit gave the speakers a new lease of life. The clarity and depth really was pretty good for stock speakers. The standard cassette player, however, was rubbish.

If you're changing your head unit (I recommend it), let me know and I still have the dash display/steering wheel control adaptors if you wanna have them off me ;)

Soldato
OP
There's your problem. Is it the 6-speaker system with tweeters in the top corners of the dashboard? If so, my Megane had the same system. A new head unit gave the speakers a new lease of life. The clarity and depth really was pretty good for stock speakers. The standard cassette player, however, was rubbish.

If you're changing your head unit (I recommend it), let me know and I still have the dash display/steering wheel control adaptors if you wanna have them off me ;)

Thanks for the advice and the offer, but the car stands on a main road 100m away from my house, so I'd much rather it looked like it only had a cheapo cassette player for my peace of mind, hence I'd like to leave it looking as standard as possible. :)

Soldato
Why bother replacing the speakers when Howard has just told you it's your source that is your problem?! Buying a new set of speakers isn't going to improve the sound that your OEM stereo is outputting. You can't polish a turd as they say.

On the security front, all modern stereos have removable fascias so the little scrotes would have to be very bored to even bother trying to steal a useless stereo.

Soldato
OP
Why bother replacing the speakers when Howard has just told you it's your source that is your problem?! Buying a new set of speakers isn't going to improve the sound that your OEM stereo is outputting. You can't polish a turd as they say.

On the security front, all modern stereos have removable fascias so the little scrotes would have to be very bored to even bother trying to steal a useless stereo.

But as I've already stated, I don't want to change the head unit at all as I want it to look OEM, and I'm quite sure that the standard Renault speakers aren't as good as an aftermarket set, so I'm sure there'll be a gain by changing them, hence my asking for a recommendation on an upgraded set.

And removable are all well and good as long as you always remember to remove them, which I don't!

Soldato
Honestly, don't bother. Have a look on Ebay or similar for an uprated Renault CD player. Ought to make things sound a little better while letting you play CDs which are naturally higher quality :)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
There will not be any decent gain as you are not improving the source!

It's like having £10k speakers and a £100 amp!

Soldato
OP
Honestly, don't bother. Have a look on Ebay or similar for an uprated Renault CD player. Ought to make things sound a little better while letting you play CDs which are naturally higher quality :)

I already have a Renault MP3 multichanger under the passenger seat, so happy to stick with the cassette headunit, can't imagine the CD version sounding any better, but thanks anyway.

Soldato
OP
There will not be any decent gain as you are not improving the source!

It's like having £10k speakers and a £100 amp!

But I imagine that I currently have 50p speakers with a £2 amp, so surely a mildly uprated set of component speakers would yield an improvement?

Soldato

yeah same here with my rover 75
its got a rover Harmon Kardon 10 speaker upgrade kit(plus Harmon Kardon sub) fitted,but it still wasnt up to much.
it really came alive when i got rid if the standard stereo and fitted my JVC kd-lhx552 head unit
its totally transformed the sound

Last edited:
Associate

Howard, if you're still offering, I could do with those adapters! I'm changing my head unit, and am looking at £30+ for ones from Halfrauds... Let me know how much you want for them - are they for the mkII Scenic?

EDIT: sorry, just seen you said Megane! Mine is a 1999 V-plate mkII Scenic and looking to install an Alpine unit. Halfrauds website said 'without remote display' for my car - sure that's not right? It has the dash display!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the original Renault headunit really that bad, has everyone heard one and had the chance to compare it to an upgraded one in the same vehicle?
Did you not read my first reply? ;)

Howard, if you're still offering, I could do with those adapters! I'm changing my head unit, and am looking at £30+ for ones from Halfrauds... Let me know how much you want for them - are they for the mkII Scenic?

EDIT: sorry, just seen you said Megane! Mine is a 1999 V-plate mkII Scenic and looking to install an Alpine unit. Halfrauds website said 'without remote display' for my car - sure that's not right? It has the dash display!

I still have them yep - the interface box from the car, and the little lead that goes from there to the head unit's remote input. Cost me about £40 including the "Pioneer" cable adaptor bit that you have to buy which incidentally I believe is the same as the Alpine socket.

Hmmm, MK2 scenic... It might work. Infact I'd say it will. Same car really, only difference is mine was a prefacelift Megane so stuff might have changed. You can try them if you like, just send it back if it doesn't :)

I'm going on holiday on Monday for two weeks but if you're still interested when I get back, talk then?

Associate
I still have them yep - the interface box from the car, and the little lead that goes from there to the head unit's remote input. Cost me about £40 including the "Pioneer" cable adaptor bit that you have to buy which incidentally I believe is the same as the Alpine socket.

Hmmm, MK2 scenic... It might work. Infact I'd say it will. Same car really, only difference is mine was a prefacelift Megane so stuff might have changed. You can try them if you like, just send it back if it doesn't :)

I'm going on holiday on Monday for two weeks but if you're still interested when I get back, talk then?

Am interested... what's more, been looking at/interested in the exact same head unit you have!! Is it any good? really just want something to control iPod.

Where in Surrey are you? might be able to collect leads...

MSN me if poss - would like to talk about head unit!

Soldato
Am interested... what's more, been looking at/interested in the exact same head unit you have!! Is it any good? really just want something to control iPod.

Where in Surrey are you? might be able to collect leads...

MSN me if poss - would like to talk about head unit!

OK I'll leave myself a reminder of some sort to MSN you once I'm back from Holiday if that's not too late :p

Soldato
OP
Well, I eventually caved in to the pressure on here, and treat myself to a Pioneer DEH-5000UB, and what a difference, sounds 1000X better than before, thanks for everyone's help! :D

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

Back
Top Bottom