how to limit speed for other users

Associate
hi all, how do i limit the speed so other users dont use so much band width?
basicly have a sky router with 2 ethernet cables coming from it, 1 being my connection and other my sister, but my sister leaves her pc on 24/7 always using webcam and downloading which is affecting my speeds for gaming online.

dont know if it can be done! but limit hers to allow mine to run faster

Associate
Does your router have the QoS/bandwidth limiting option? I have the same problem with my housemates. I changed the firmware on my linksys so I can limit their speed....

Associate
OP
Does your router have the QoS/bandwidth limiting option? I have the same problem with my housemates. I changed the firmware on my linksys so I can limit their speed....

i dont think it does as cant see anything but very basic settings which sky give and as far as i know cant use different router and would need to do firmware change too.

Associate
I am no expert, but if I was in your position, I would get the linksys WRT router for cheap on ebay, d/l those open source firmware
and use it to do the routing
He's stuck using the Sky supplied router, unless he can hack it and find his account details (no idea if that's still possible). Even then he still needs an ADSL modem as the Linksys is an ethernet router (I don't think either of the Sky supplied routers can act as dumb modems). Simply connecting the Linksys to the Sky router means he'll be double-NAT'ing and that's a bad idea.

If he has the Sky supplied Netgear maybe he can run UberGT or a variant. No idea how good those are and whether they provide more in the way of bandwidth limiting/QoS though.

Back
Top Bottom