• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This week 'Silent Cooling solution' 4870?

Associate
Reckon i might get this actually, was gonna get one and nice of them to put it on this week only for me :p probably buy this one over the other powercolor due to the tiny extra stock speeds.lol

Im thinking the cooler will be quieter than the normal cooler but not 'silent'.
Will try out the cooler but most likly end up putting my accelero s1 on and attaching a silent fan or two.

Associate
I was considering a GTX 280 but saw this on offer today and decided it was too good to pass - free copy of Grid as well! Can't find any reviews of this card though - hope the cooler doesn't turn out to be a lemon!

Caporegime
Plus it has the added bonus of been pre-overclocked to 800MHz so the bios limits of overclocking will have been removed so you can use Overdrive to clock it even further :D

OcUK Staff
Hi there

They seem great cards, incredible value. :)

Now to me they are very quiet but I also find a 4870 with the stock cooler quiet apart from the times when it spins upto 100%.

These are actually as cheap as some of the other stock brands, but they have a quieter cooler and come overclocked out of the box which allows for more overclocking headroom via overdrive facility in the drivers. :)

Associate
Hi Gibbo have you encountered any heating issues with the cards during testing? Some forums are reporting a BIOS problem that prevent the fan from spinning up to full speed. Hope there's no probs as I've just bought one!

Soldato
All of the info regarding a "bios problem" originates from one source who aquired a pre-release version of the card. They said that their particular board was overheating due to a slow running fan that could not be turned up sufficiently via bios. The Powercolor PCS box says temps will be 10deg lower than stamdard 4870's (even though it is overclocked). I cannot see any manufacturer adding a 3rd party cooler which is worse than stock, and then overclocking the card. I think the bios issue is probably a one off, or pre-relase problem that has been fixed.

I am very tempted to order one now that OcUK will give me free delivery and Grid. If the card does infact have ANY problems with overheating (which I very doubt) it can be returned anyway so no risk.

I guess it wouldn't be "silent" if the fan always ran at 100% anyhow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom