Problem setting up 5.1 speakers with Vista/Realtek HD Audio Manager...

Associate
Hey peeps,

So I recently got a new rig and want to put my old Creative 5.1 speakers onto my new pc an get gaming, however, setting up the 5.1 speakers and sub is a problem and is doing my head in!

Basically I've always used NV mixer software to set up my 5.1 speakers, as its an ace setup wizard and has always been easy to set up (i.e. do you hear sound from this speaker Yes/No?, then proceeds to sort the channels for you), however, as I'm now on a new PC, I can't use this software, as (it says) i'm not on a nforce chipset motherboard etc, as my motherboard is:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-257-AS

...so basically I'm using Realtek HD Audio Manager and there isn't any wizard, only a basic checker to test where you're getting sound from. However, I'm getting sound out of some speakers and not others, even though I've got it set to 5.1 it seems to be more like Stereo. I've swapped the speaker inputs around a bit at the back of the PC, but I get no luck in setting it up correctly. However, I do get sound from each of them when I've swapped the inputs around, so I know it aint a hardware problem, I just need some software like NVmixer to sort it out.

So does anyone know of any software that can do this? Or know of anything I could try get get them working properly?

I'm using Vista 64 on this PC too, for the first time, so its probably just me being a noob, so if there is anywhere within Windows that can sort this prob, then let me know

Cheers in advance... :cool:

Soldato
on mine for some reason when you set it to 5.1 the rear speakers dont actually work with some apps, you have to have the rears set as side speakers.

in the audio control panel you will see an image which represents your setup, click each speaker and it will play a test tone. if you dont get audio out of the rears then switch them to the side speakers.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the tip but its sadly nothing to do with the rear/side speaker options with my problem, as I've tried them all, for some reason Realtek HD Audio Manager will not work in 5.1 with my speakers :( As it just seems to play all speaker tests out of the front left and front right speakers :(

Its just a nightmare as I don't really want to have to buy some new speakers just because of this problem, as for all I know I would just get the same problem with the new ones :(

All I need is NV Mixer to work on my new machine, an job would be solved, however, sadly I can't. Shame Realtek HD Manager (is ****:mad:) doesn't have a decent setup wizard, are there any other programs that anyone knows of that can change the channels etc of your speakers, so that I might get it to work right?

Permabanned
You using the hdmi socket if not turn it off and connected the conventional way. or if not got to speaker settings and swap sounds to non hd drivers.
btw i dont have that board.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply, been away for a few days.

right mouse on your speaker sign, then playback devices, then highlight speakers then configure :)

believe me, the first thing I tried ;) No luck...

I think it might be something to do with the HDMI onboard sound, for some reason its just ******* everything up. I borrowed a friends set of logitech speakers, an I get the same problem. For some reason no matter what order I input the Green/Black/Yellow cables to the back of the PC, it will not play in 5.1! Its basically just the front right and front left where EVERY sound plays out of when using the Realtek HD Audio test :( This is really ******* me off now :(

You using the hdmi socket if not turn it off and connected the conventional way. or if not got to speaker settings and swap sounds to non hd drivers.
btw i dont have that board.

Could this be a driver issue then, as said above? I am not connecting using HDMI, just the simple 3 green/black/yellow cable, how do I switch the HDMI port off then, any ideas? Or if a driver issue, can anyone suggest what drivers I should be using? Or another audio software program that can sort out the sound?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorted ;)

With now having a bit of time to **** around with the settings, I unistalled all sound drivers, rebooted the PC, upon booting up it auto installed the sound drivers, an now I finally have 5.1 woot ;)

I aint got realteck HD audio manager prog now, but I dont care, as long as its working I'm happy ;)

Now back to Crysis ;)

Back
Top Bottom