How dangerous is Glasgow

Associate
Is it bad in the west end/city center, you always here stories about how bad it is, what are your experiences?

Caporegime
Mess with folk and you will get it - eh! HINK SAE!

Never had any problems myself, if you are in the centre you will be fine. Wonder out and you may get some stick for the English accent same as anywhere really.

Supposedly the second highest city for stabbings in Europe though.

Associate
Just be observant when walking on your own. When I used to walk home on my own from city centre back to Yorkhill (where I used to live during Uni), I always walked fast, and walk in lit areas, and avoid people. You should be okay.

As the previous poster said, just don't do anything/wear anything football related and you should be just fine!

Associate
Glasgow is a really good city, if you stick to the centre. Ive never had any bother, none that you dont get anywhere else.

But, a few weeks ago a guy was shot outside a pub literally round the corner from my mates flat. Was a gangland incident though.

Just dont wear football colours at night.

Soldato
Glasgow is no more dangerous than any other city, it has it's good and bad llike everywhere else. Don't believe the 'No Mean City' hype. Follow the basic rules of the big city -

1. Avoid wearing football colours.
2. Avoid idiots in tracksuits.
3. Stick to the busier parts of town at night.
4. Enjoy yourself.

I lived in Glasgow for 29 years and only ever ran into trouble once in the city centre and this involved telling a drug adled big issue seller that I wasn't interested in a purchase no matter how many times he asked, short argument, knife produced, police intervention and junkie taken away to the cells.

Glasgow has an amazing nightlife, some truly great pubs, great restaurants, oodles of culture and the best collection of shops outside of London. Don't miss -

GOMA (Gallery Of Modern Art)
Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum
The Huntarian Museum
The Burrell Collection
The Horseshoe Bar
Jinty McGinty's
The Uni Cafe (best ice cream anywhere)

Enjoy.

Soldato
Glasgow is no more dangerous than any other city, it has it's good and bad llike everywhere else. Don't believe the 'No Mean City' hype. Follow the basic rules of the big city -

1. Avoid wearing football colours.
2. Avoid idiots in tracksuits.
3. Stick to the busier parts of town at night.
4. Enjoy yourself.

I lived in Glasgow for 29 years and only ever ran into trouble once in the city centre and this involved telling a drug adled big issue seller that I wasn't interested in a purchase no matter how many times he asked, short argument, knife produced, police intervention and junkie taken away to the cells.

Glasgow has an amazing nightlife, some truly great pubs, great restaurants, oodles of culture and the best collection of shops outside of London. Don't miss -

GOMA (Gallery Of Modern Art)
Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum
The Huntarian Museum
The Burrell Collection
The Horseshoe Bar
Jinty McGinty's
The Uni Cafe (best ice cream anywhere)

Enjoy.

I'd just like to add:
Home - my favourite bar in the Merchant City.
Gigs at the Barras, King Tut's or the ABC.

Oh, and to the OP, the east end of Glasgow is the worst bit but there's for going there unless it's where you're staying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom