• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i7 Overclocking Thread***

Don
Where's Easyrider when you need him :p

Anyway, keep the results in here please. I'm particularly interested in seeing things like maximum stable overclocks using OCCT or Prime, idle/load temps and idle/load power measurements when running OCCT or Prime. Also intested in max stable "FSB" acheivable and on what board it was done.

Associate
Settings so far. Please note that there is probably things I should be doing with bios but not sure.

Asus P6T with 920 chip overclocked to 4.0Ghz with corsair dominator 1600 memory.

All bios setttings at auto except the following.

AI Overclock Tuner - X.M.P
CPU Ratio Setting - 20
BCLK Freq - 200
Dram Freq - 1603
CPU Voltage - 1.475
QPI/Dram Voltage - 1.475
Memory Volatge - 1.66

Hyperthreading - Off

Dont matter what you do or change cant get over 4 Ghz.

4gig Overclock

Voltage 1.45v / Hyperthreading On
Idle - 52,52,52,50
Load - 76,61,61,57

Voltage 1.45v / Hyperthreading Off
Idle - 50,50,50,49
Load - 67,67,56,55

Runs all test stable with hyperthreading off but crashes in a few seconds with it on at 4gig clock.

Noticed that with hyperthreading on I have one odd core that is nearly 20oC above the rest.
Have just lapped my chip. It had an almighty high spot at one corner and the reason why my temps were a bit wild.

After lapping

Idle - 45,45,45,43
Load - 60,60,50,50

Caporegime
Where's Easyrider when you need him :p

Anyway, keep the results in here please. I'm particularly interested in seeing things like maximum stable overclocks using OCCT or Prime, idle/load temps and idle/load power measurements when running OCCT or Prime. Also intested in max stable "FSB" acheivable and on what board it was done.

Opened one now.:p

Can this one be closed and the post's transfered in order to keep up with tradition? :D

Associate
EDIT: 4.15GHz

4100.jpg

With Asus P6T Deluxe.

Settings:

BCLK: 198MHz
CPU: 1.47v
RAM: 1.54v
QPI/DRAM Core Volt: 1.37v
IOH: 1.2v

LoadLine Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCI-E Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU TM Fuction: Disabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
SpeedStep: Enabled - IMPORTANT! most people are getting 200MHz BCLK (4GHz on a i7 920) as the max BLCK thats stable, by enabling this setting it also enables Turbo Mode, which increases the CPU multiplyer when under load - giving a extra 200MHz. It's the only way i could get over 4GHz stable.
Also note that if 80c is reached under load then Turbo Mode will throttle the CPU multi back down to default.

DRAM Ref Cycle Time: 88 (this is only really necessary for 12GB)
DRAM Timing Mode: 2N
RAM Timings 8-8-8-24 @ 1582MHz

Gear: SwiftTech CPU GTZ block + i7 bracket, and TFC Xchanger Triple Radiator 360 with three 120mm 1400RPM fans mounted.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Here are some pics of my settings.

If anyone has got some advice on how to reduce the heat but keep the same clock speed please let me know as I am still a relative newbie to OC'ing and I don't fully understand voltages etc. I am currently running at about 40c idle and 85c load at these settings, stock was around 30c idle and 60c load. I think 85c is too high and want to get down to about 70c load. Any ideas?

benchiesdf6.jpg

EDIT: I should just say that this OC has been done by simply raising the BCLK to 190, disabling Turbo Mode, setting the DRAM voltage to 1.64, CPU voltage to 1.30, and QPI/DRAM Core voltage to 1.35.

Last edited:
Associate
This is my overclock with triple rad watercooling. Its on Asus P6T Duluxe, Corsair Dominator 1600 memory with single Ati 4870X2. Hyperthreading is off in bios and think it looses about 500 marks in 3DMark06 with it off.

3DMark06.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
d8ncer, you should be able to do that same speed with a lot less voltage, i notiuce you max voltage as shown by hardware monitor, shows a max voltage if 2.04v, given intel say 1.375 is the max 24/7 you should run i think you maybe in danger of killing you chip long term. im at 3.86Ghz and only use 1.28V.

Your 24/7 volts should be around 1.375 or less mate. Up to you but thats what intel say and although they are been comversavive, i wouldn't wanna kill my chip.

Nice overclock too given you timings though mate ;)

What super pi 1Mb time do you get?

Phil

Associate
d8ncer, you should be able to do that same speed with a lot less voltage, i notiuce you max voltage as shown by hardware monitor, shows a max voltage if 2.04v, given intel say 1.375 is the max 24/7 you should run i think you maybe in danger of killing you chip long term. im at 3.86Ghz and only use 1.28V.

Your 24/7 volts should be around 1.375 or less mate. Up to you but thats what intel say and although they are been comversavive, i wouldn't wanna kill my chip.

Think you read that wrong... If d8ncer really had his CPU voltage set at 2.04v it would kill the CPU instantly LOL.
He has it set to 1.47v which is perfectly fine for water cooling.

Associate
no max is what the maximum value it has gone to, download hardware monitor for your self and see how it reads the "max"

look at the rest of the max values, they are the maximum value they have hit.

See why i was worried about the 2.04V?

Phil

Back
Top Bottom