The Nokia 5800 Express Media (Tube) Thread

Associate
So, Nokias first 'real' touch screent phone and is officially available direct from Nokia tomorrow. Can't believe there isn't much discussion on it here so in anticipation here's a new thread to post your views and experiences in.

Anyone got one on order ? Seen one yet in the flesh ? Planning on getting one or wait for the with music version or holding out for the N97 ?

I've got one on preorder with Nokia so with luck should get it soon. Am keen to see how the touch interface works in real life and what the video capabilities are like and whether it will be an adequate replacement for my HTC Touch HD.

Doh - can some passing mod please change the title to Xpress Music :o

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
They've been available direct from Nokia for a while, they are "released" on o2/orange tommorrow :)

definitely looking into one as my next phone.

Soldato
I'm probably going to wait for the N97 but the 5800 is tempting at less than £250 SIM free. Nice to see a 8GB memory card in the box too.

Associate
OP
Definately only available officially in the UK from Nokia from tomorrow. Being sold exlusively from the Regent Street Store and T5 initially as well as online.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Nokia_store_to_open_early_for_tomorrows_5800_launch.html

Kane - no doubt it's not going to be as powerful as the Touch HD but it's half the price and depends what you need from your device. For me the HD is still too PDA like being based on WM and requires getting the stylus out too much. The screen is gorgeous but video playback is poor and the UI is still too fiddly.

I just want a phone with a big screen that can play video which I can use easily day to day and take into the Gym to watch downloaded TV etc so the 5800 looks like it could be ideal. If it's too laggy or unresponsive though it'll be disappointing..

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that positive reviews for this phone,
it's not better than the touch hd by a long way
its a budget touchscreen

Not sure why reviews you are reading - pretty much every review I have read has been very encouraging. Its a mid end touch screen phone. Personally I find the HD far too big - more of a pda than an everyday phone.

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Must've got my dates mixed up! Nevermind.

All reviews I've seen have been very positive, dunno where that came from.

Associate
The review from GSMarena put me off this phone really. They slated the interface pretty heavily, and apparently the camera is mean to be below-par for a 3.2MP one.

I'll have to give it a go myself as this did look like a potential phone that I would be interested in - just not unsure now as the camera is pretty important to me.

Associate
I bought one for my girlfriend on 9th January in Beijing. She absolutely loves it. She had a Nokia N95 before, and the charge wouldn't last a day (regardless of all the tips to make the battery last longer). She can now get several days out of the 5800.

The camera is not as good as the N95, but it has dual LED flash, which helps indoor photos.

The touchscreen works excellently for her, and she hardly ever uses the stylus, except when she is using handwriting recognition (this model recognises Chinese characters as well as western).

At the moment, she can't fault it - except we did have one problem when she tried to put the 8GB micro-SD card in the phone - she missed the slot, and managed to jam it between the phone's cover and the metal slot! Took some prying to get it out, and have scratched the plastic around the slot, so she was not too happy about that.

All in all, a very successful buy, even though it was so much cheaper than the N95, it's definately an upgrade for her. I don't think the phone is supposed to be competing with the HTC Touch HD, which is a lot more expensive.

Associate
Sneaky Peaky says he is replacing his HD for one which is ludicrous imo,
I was just saying that it's not a top end phone so don't expect an iPhone beater,
can't beat it for its price bracket though

Associate
I'd like to hear people's opinion of the case it comes with. My girlfriend found it to be extremely tight, and now doesn't use it for fear of scratching the phone when she puts it into the case.

Do you think there will be an alternative case available somewhere?

Associate
OP
Ok - couple of quick observations after a couple of hours with it.

I was suprised at how small it actually is, very similar in size and shape to the N73 I used to have. It's quite light too, almost a bit too light. Overall it lacks the premium quality feel but that's to be expected given the target market / price.

The screen is nice and bright, not as sharp as I had expected from the reviews but maybe I've been spoilt with the touch HD. It also seems much smaller than the iphone screen even though there's not a lot in it. However watching some of the supplied video content it's perfectly adequate for watching some downloaded TV etc in the Gym or on the train etc for shortish periods of time.

Pleasantly suprised with the touch screen interface, all very easy to pick up and intuitive, response seems very good and very little missed selections and frustrations etc that I got with the HD. Haven't had the stylus out once which goes to show, I like the haptic feedback too which adds to the reassurance. As the reviews have picked up you single click in icon mode and double click in lists which is counter intuitive but presumably necessary to avoid miss selecting when scrolling through lists. Have found it reasonably fast and not laggy. The landscape keypad is a breeze for text entering and a real bonus.

Like the sprung switch on the side to lock/unlock the phone.

Haven't had time to play with the camera and web etc but email set up was a breeze and v easy to use.

Overall I think it does what it says on the tin - very easy to use, touch works well on the Symbian interface much better than on WM and well featured for a mid range phone. Bodes well for the higher end models I think especially if they can engineer some more quality feel to the devices.

Interested in others views !

Pete

Back
Top Bottom