Airport Extreme questions, and what ADSL Modem?

Commissario
I've decided that I like the idea of the new Airport Extreme but I'm a little confused.

It is just a wireless router isn't it? If I want to use it on an existing ADSL connection then I assume I need a separate ADSL modem, something like a Linksys AM200 or equivalent. If that's the case, do I just configure the AM200 (or equivalent) to connect to my ISP and then drop an Ethernet cable between the two devices?

Or does the Airport Extreme have a built in ADSL modem?

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

2Wire Gateway 2700HG-B

It's an unlocked BT business router with a rock solid sync and good configuration.

I have it hooked in to my Time Capsule via CAT6, (Time Capsule set to bridge mode).

Associate
Ta.

Next question, who's got one, what modems are you using with it?

My mate has one but is with Virgin Media for his internet connection, seems to be a very good piece of kit in terms of stability I haven't heard him say anything bad about it, I'm pretty sure that he said it only took around 5 minutes out the box to get it working.

Pretty useful if you want to use an external hdd with it aswell to save you the extra £100 on the extremely overpriced drive that is in the time capsule.

Commissario
OP
I've got a Linksys ADSL router which I'm currently using effectively as just a modem so I'll continue to use that.

Here's another one. If I get an AirPort Extreme and connect a USB hard drive to it, can I then mount that drive and use it for Time Machine backups? I'm not specifically planning to because I think the performance is going to be a bit pants but I'm interested as to whether it can be done.

Man of Honour
I've got a Linksys ADSL router which I'm currently using effectively as just a modem so I'll continue to use that.

Here's another one. If I get an AirPort Extreme and connect a USB hard drive to it, can I then mount that drive and use it for Time Machine backups? I'm not specifically planning to because I think the performance is going to be a bit pants but I'm interested as to whether it can be done.

You can, I did recently and the initial backup took about 15 hours. After that though it's been alright performance wise...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought so.

I spoke to a 'genius' earlier today and he told me I can't do it :rolleyes:

He was half-right.

Apple marketed it before the release of Leopard (see: AirDisk), but canned the idea on the release.

It's only recently been opened up, and that was because of a software update that "fixed" the feature.

EDIT: The DSL diagnostics page.. it's quite comprehensive :)

picture1kiv.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Commissario
OP
Well I bought one at lunchtime and it's taken me hours to get it working in a mode I don't want.

I've now got my old Linksys wireless router with the wireless disabled and the Airport Extreme running in Bridge mode so that the Linksys is handing out DHCP and doing all the rest of the stuff, NATting ports and generally doing a lot more than I want it to.

Ideally I want to be able to plug an ADSL modem into the Airport Extreme and have everything dealt with by the AE, not my Linksys.

What's going to be a sensible cost that will allow me to do that?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Well I bought one at lunchtime and it's taken me hours to get it working in a mode I don't want.

I've now got my old Linksys wireless router with the wireless disabled and the Airport Extreme running in Bridge mode so that the Linksys is handing out DHCP and doing all the rest of the stuff, NATting ports and generally doing a lot more than I want it to.

Ideally I want to be able to plug an ADSL modem into the Airport Extreme and have everything dealt with by the AE, not my Linksys.

What's going to be a sensible cost that will allow me to do that?

The AirPort Extreme can assign IP addresses, there is a list of assignable IPs in the configuration somewhere. Apologies for the vague answer but I prefer my modem handling the DHCP, so my knowledge is limited.

I had it that way once.

Associate
You need to put the Linksys ADSL modem in Bridge Mode. It's one of the options under the ADSL setup, and it will then turn the light green on the AE (from yellow, for "Double NAT")

Commissario
OP
I actually ordered an X-Modem M3 yesterday before you posted, jhmaeng. It arrived this morning and all is now working as I want it.

Well, nearly as I want it! I'd like to change the IP of the Airport Extreme but it's not obvious how I can do that, it's given itself 192.168.0.1 and for historical reasons I'd rather it was on 192.168.0.211

Soldato
I used my time capsule with a Netgear DM111p ADSL ethernet modem, the pair worked really well together.

Sold both in the end as I never really used the disk on the time capsule that much. My macs have never fallen over before so I'm not bothered about backups.

Soldato
Not really, sure I'll be inconvenienced but it's nothing major for me as I don't have anything critical stored on my computers.

Back
Top Bottom