New Case Fortress FT01B-W

Soldato
Just got delivery of my fortress today to house my new rig :)

boxi.jpg

Here it is in comparison to my Antec 900
sidebyside.jpg

Its not until you get a decent case that you appreciate the build quality and finsh and this case is no exception.

insided.jpg

The case is also very very quiet thanks to the sound proofing foam on the inside of the panels

foam.jpg

Sorry for the poor final pic will get some more during daylight, i have to admit i expected the case to be a lot easier for cable management but the foam on the side panels makes stacking cables on the back of the mobo tray a no go without cutting away loads of the foam.

done.jpg

Anyone with any experience of the case that can give any advice for tidying the cables on these cases, its ok as it is now but id like to hide more if possible.

Associate
Very nice, still haven't even ordered mine yet, probably tomorrow :D

So can you not put cables/wires at all behind mobo tray?

Soldato
OP
you can but theres a thick layer of foam on the side panels for sound dampening which means the space you have is only a few mm without cutting away some of the foam.

There are a few cable management holes at the side which are too narrow to fit the pci-e connectors or atx lead through so that means trying to route all the thickest cable up the backplate.

I would norm,ally juist cut away some of the foam but the case at the moment is so quiet i dont wanna lose that as after the 900 case im loving the silence lol

I know RJ did a build log with his fortress so ill have a look there and see if theres any pics of his routing.

Soldato
Superb build m8,

I also received this case not long ago but im just waiting for some other parts from america before i do the build.

I can defo agree with your comment though, 'Its not until you get a decent case that you appreciate the build quality and finsh and this case is no exception.' - im coming from an antec 300, what a difference!

enjoy it,:)

Associate
Lovely build there. I also got one of these cases a few weeks ago, they're very nice indeed. One question though; I see you have your top 180mm fan connected to a motherboard header, does that fan spin for you?

It's just that when I connect either of the 180mms to a mobo header, they turn about half a revolution very slowly and then just stop. They both work fine when using the Molex > 3-pin provided with the case, but I only have one of those, so I can only have 1 180mm fan running at the moment.

Does anyone know why this might be? My motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

Soldato
It's just that when I connect either of the 180mms to a mobo header, they turn about half a revolution very slowly and then just stop. They both work fine when using the Molex > 3-pin provided with the case, but I only have one of those, so I can only have 1 180mm fan running at the moment.

Does anyone know why this might be? My motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe.
Those fans might require quite high voltage for starting/keeping rolling and if motherboard has automatic fan speed adjustment on that could keep voltage too low.

Associate
Those fans might require quite high voltage for starting/keeping rolling and if motherboard has automatic fan speed adjustment on that could keep voltage too low.

So how would I go about fixing this? In the BIOS? If so, what would the setting be called? I have looked for fan header settings, but I've not had much luck yet.

Soldato
OP
my fans are running fine off the board mate, i cant get over how quiet the case is, literally the only thing i can hear during use is HDD access, itr prob my raptor im hearing.

I never realised just how loud my antec 900 was until now ha ha.

BTW in terms of cable management my job was made a bit harder by my only using one of the HDD bays, if i kept them both installed you can hide loads of cables at the back of the HDD cages.

Personally i chose to remove the top one to allow the front 180mm fan to breathe a little.

Associate
Very nice :cool:, I'm loving the black interior that Silverstone applies to these cases the interior seems very similar to the raven.

Whilst browsing I saw two cases with the FT01B-W number, one was title "Silverstone FT01B-W" and the other "Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W", are there two different cases? One of them was listed cheaper than the other....

Soldato
one prob i have with this case..

the top fan filter - how are you meant to get it out to clean it? you have to bend it, so dust would go everywhere.

They shoulda made it so it puls out the side.

i havnt had a look to see if it can be turned around but it seems like a silly thing to do having it the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom