GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R - BSOD

Associate
Just got this new PC yesterday and everything seem fine but 1 problem: running OCCT tests (on 100%) and getting blue screen after just a couple of minutes.
CPU is on stock, so does everything else.
I don't think it has anything to do with temps as they don't seem to go higher than 65-70 on 100% load.
Someone told me that it might be something with the default volts?
I am not very familiar with this so here is screenshots of the BIOS, could anyone please take a look and tell me if I need to change anything, or know what the reason for the blue screens is?

Also the memory is 1600 MHZ yet as you can see in the screenshots below it only shows 1000 MHZ, how come?

Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R + i7 2.67GHz 920
OCZ 6144MB (2048MBX3) DDR3 1600 PLATINUM
GAINWARD GeForce GTX260 216 SP 896MB DDR3
SAMSUNG F1 1TB 32MB SATA2 7200 RPM
PCP&COOLING SILENCER 610W

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4117/dsc1575.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4067/dsc1577.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Change your DRAM Memory multiplier to 1600
Change your memory timings to:

Do that for each of the three channels (A,B,C)

Change your DRAM Voltage to 1.64 or 1.66.

Press F10 and save then reboot.

Associate
OP
Hey,
Did exactly as you said - now I am not getting any BSOD, but when running OCCT on 100% I am getting an error message: "Error detected on Core #X", where X changes between core #1, #4, and #5...

Funny thing is I don't plan to overclock at all, want to stay @ stock and that everything will just work :).

Associate
Mine seems to be unstable even at stock speed too, on a virtually identical setup. I find hypertheding seems to make it unstable. hypertherding and turbo mode on at the same time = very unstable. turning Hypertheding off seems to make it all stable. but then you lose the benefits of it.

Same when results when I'm running overclocked at 3.2ghz.

Last edited:
Associate
Set up your memory as w3bbo said as your memory should be stable at this speed. drop it down a notch on the memory multiplier if it's still unstable later.

in the Advanced CPU Features section you should set

CPU Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech [Disabled]
CPU Multi-Threading [Disabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]

I personally disabled C1E because it makes my PSU squeal like crazy. that is totaly optional for you. but the other 2 made mine stable.

The most annoying thing is that with these turned on @ stock speeds, volts and stock setting( bar the memory which you need to set to 1.64 or 1.66 to run at it rated speeds) it should be stable. I've found it just isn't.

Last edited:
Associate
Not altered cpu volts at the min....only changed those when i am overclocking and that was 1.3 volt for a 3.4 speed ...at moment running stock speed....memory tho is manually set to 1.64 volts...with timings of 9-9-9-24

Associate
I'm running the f5 bios too. the F6 only seemed to have microcode updates for the new 940 and 965 D0 stepping. unless there is something they haven't mentioned which is lilkely the way shaye87 is talking . Not sure weather to give the Beta f7a bios a go or not. I'll give F6 a go later.

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried the f6 and f7a beta bios. still not stable with hypertherding enabled. it will fail prime 95 within an hour and Intel burn test with more than 1 gb of ram tested with hyperthreding on. hypertheding off any everything is fine!!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sounds like you have a maybe dodgy cpu , if it aint stable as default settings
something is sure up. Do you have another board you can try it on?

I left the HT off on my board ( Iam not running my PC as a server)

I did notice that Auto for CPU voltage made it pretty high ( 1.38v)

Associate
Nailed it. Bumped the QPI/VTT voltage from the default 1.2v to 1.3v Intel specify upto 1.35v as safe( if you take that as gospel it's 1.34 on this gigabyte board). The Ram running at its rated speed and slight oc at 3.2GHZ, it's passed intel burn running 20 times testing 5319mb's of my memory. :D Currently has gone a lot longer on prime 95 than it has before, and still going now.

The Rule of thumb is if you are going to run higher than 1.5v on the memory you need to up the QPI/VTT voltage too.

Happy now :D I don't want an insane overclock anyway, I don't want the insane noise that comes with trying to keep this bugger overclocked at insane speeds cool, until I can be bothered to invest in watercooling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom