• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q6600 @ 3.3ghz vs AMD 955 Benchy results.

Associate
Ok following on from my other thread as promised here are the results, as i could not find did a direct comparison between a stock and overclocked AMD 955 and an overclocked core2 quad anywhere on the net (this is where you tell me there are loads) so as i finally decided to take the plunge and get myself an AMD 955 i will do the comparison myself.

Please bear with me though i only ordered the parts yesterday so it might be a few days before i get round to swapping the systems over and running the benchies on the AMD rig.

I'll add more benchies as i do them, please not this will ONLY include game benchmarks.

Q6600 rig spec as per sig.

Stalker Clear sky @ 1900x1200, ultra quality, dx10, msaa off.

stalkerbenchyq6600at33ultra1900x120.jpg

Farcry 2

q6600farcrybenchieresults.jpg

World in conflict (no screeny)

Resolution: 1920*1200
Detail Level: Very High
Average fps: 38
Min fps: 11
Max fps: 99

Ok slowly getting stuff installed on the new setup and will update as i run the benchies. So far i have got the 955 running at 3.8ghz, much higher seems to require a significant increase in core voltage which i don't want to do. Th memory is running at 1500mhz.

World in conflict (no screeny)

Resolution: 1920*1200
Detail Level: Very High
Average fps: 52
Min fps: 14
Max fps: 140

Quite pleased with that an improvement of 3fps on the minimum equates to 25+% improvement and the improvements on the average and max are even better

fc2results.jpg

Again nice improvement in Farcry2 minimum framerate up by 13%.

stalker955results.jpg

The most "disappoinging of the lot similar results across the board, some slightly better some slightly worse, i'll rerun it a few times to see if it was just because i'd rebooted the pc when i ran it.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, for a CPU test run the games at a low res and detail setting to rule out the GPU. It would also be worth running something like super pi or cinebench.

It's a shame its an older core2quad though, but it'd be nice to see if the legendary q6600 can still hang with the new guns.

Soldato
SuperPi is one of the synthetic benches that is on the no list to gauge performance between different architectures.

Its uses heavily Intel bias legacy x86 code that even when AMD cpus were king could not beat allot less powerful Intel cpus in that bench at the time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The cpu has 1.45v on the coe for 3.8 and nb is set to auto so i guess ut will still be around 2ghz, thanks for the linky though i'll certainly be looking into upping it.

Back
Top Bottom