2 dead hdd's

Soldato
Bugger.

For some reason after moving home I now have 2 dead hard drives. Both are Samsung HD103UJ 1Tb drives and it appears that a little black thingy near the sata connections on the pcb has burned on both.

Could it have something to do with the fact that I plugged them into a powered USB hub? Or could it be a faulty power supply (I swapped the plugs around when one wasn't working and then the other stopped)

Is there anyway of me getting the data off these or are they a write off?

I know I should have backed them up, but I was too cheap to buy another 2Tb of storage.

Soldato
OP
main.php

Both look the same :(

Soldato
OP
Know what caused the drives to go pop. The Lacie external drive I have uses a similar connection, I say similar as the 12v and 5v pins are opposite, so I ended up putting 12v through the 5v connection :(

Soldato
OP
As it happens, I have the same drive in the pc itself, so gonna spend tomorrow backing that one up and moving stuff around. Then I'll look at getting a new external drive at some point. Unless of course you are able to buy a spare pcb from somewhere.

Soldato
As it happens, I have the same drive in the pc itself, so gonna spend tomorrow backing that one up and moving stuff around. Then I'll look at getting a new external drive at some point. Unless of course you are able to buy a spare pcb from somewhere.
If anyone does sell a replacement PCB, they'll probably charge more than the cost of the drive...

You may be able to replace the diode on the existing PCB, but even then I don't think it will work.

I'd be tempted to buy another drive anyway, just in case something goes wrong when swapping PCB's around...

Associate
I'm really sorry for reviving this old thread, however the same symptons have appeared on my HDD (the burnt second resistor??) This happened after my gf accidently switched the enclosure power on, before plugging in to the outlet, and so it fried when she did in turn put it in the outlet (she didn't notice the power button on enclosure was on the on position)

This IS our backup drive so i was wondering if changing PCBs helped you with powering up the HDD or not, and if so can anyone recommend where to purchase a pcb? A new same HDD costs 60pounds from amazon.co.uk since OcUK doesn't sell them anymore and i'd like to hear if it works before purchasing an F1 just for the sake of jump starting only to find it incompatable!

Thank :)

Back
Top Bottom