Fish oil, how much per day ?

Associate
As the title states.

I had been taking one a day when I noticed it said one per meal :(.

What is a reasonible daily dose for someone like myself (6ft 1in, 102KG, 1 month in to training).

Cheers
RB

Associate
OP
Thanks Volcs,

Is this figure a recommended amount or just an amount that you have found to be good for you.

My knees are still a bit 'uncomfortable' so i am hoping to help this discomfort go away (my knees have no damage as verified by MRI).

Cheers
RB

Caporegime
theres no real dosage for stuff like this, its general as much as you feel comftable taking. I tend to have all kinds of joint problems, especially my knee's which have long term damage and had ops on them.

I think omega 3 oils help(veggie so I take flaxseed or chia seed for omega's rather than fish oil) to a degree, but especially for the knee's one of the best things you can do is strengthen them even if its uncomftable at first. By no means keep going if you feel real pain, and it might well be worth going to see a physio about safe knee strengthening exercises if you haven't already.

The difference in my knee's from not working out and eating crap, to eating great and working out is night and day. THe thing with knee's is not only to focus on hamstrings/quads with just squats and extensions and stuff, but also make sure the stablisers are very strong, side squats, other lateral movements to help strength the inside of the thigh and outside as its the stablisers that are move involved in making sure your knee stays tracking correctly.

I take glucosamine/chondritin pills aswell which are supposed to be great for the joints, are they really, who knows, exercising, omega's, gluscosamine all together and my joints tend to feel much better.

THe thing with omega's is really, as much as possible is generally a good thing as your joints use it, your brain is made of it, its used in a massive range of processes in the body and you simply work better from head to toe with a decent amount available in the body. I really don't keep an eye on how much I have, i try and drop a couple pills with every meal or just when I remember throughout the day, some days i'll forget, other days i'll have loads.

Do make sure its fish oils and not cod liver oil though, theres a lot of vid D(pretty sure its vit D IIRC) in cod liver oil which you can have too much of, normal fish oils won't have vit d in at all.

Associate
Thanks Volcs,

Is this figure a recommended amount or just an amount that you have found to be good for you.

My knees are still a bit 'uncomfortable' so i am hoping to help this discomfort go away (my knees have no damage as verified by MRI).

Cheers
RB

Well it comes down to the amount of EPA and DHA in the caps you've got really. I've got the simply supplement omega 3 1000mg each of which gives 180mg of EPA and 120mg DHA so based on what I've read, 6 of these plus an estimated level from my diet gives me about the right amount.

Good article here: http://www.alanaragon.com/fish-oil.html

edit: DM - I used to take glucosamine but recently I've seen more and more studies bunking it (and those that generally give a negative outcome tend to be the better designed). Just stick glucosamine studies in google and it pretty much tells it's own tale.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks everyone,

Dm, great info. I will take a look at the glucosamine/chondritin pills. I had a damaged ligament on one knee but that now seems fine. My knees just seem uncomfortable after sitting for an hour+ and then standing up for a few paces. Once I am in the swing of things then they are generally fine. Squats seem fine as do leg presses. No sharp pains and I get the 'your getting old' type feeling :(;).

Thanks again Volcs.

My caps are the same levels as yours. I get mine from GNC over here who are like Holland & Barett in the UK. The fish oils are a reasonible price though. Oh I hate them though or more accurately the fishy burps :eek::D.

Thanks
RB

Man of Honour
Do make sure its fish oils and not cod liver oil though, theres a lot of vid D(pretty sure its vit D IIRC) in cod liver oil which you can have too much of, normal fish oils won't have vit d in at all.

Its the vitamin A youve got to watch its posinous in high doses.

My caps are the same levels as yours. I get mine from GNC over here who are like Holland & Barett in the UK. The fish oils are a reasonible price though. Oh I hate them though or more accurately the fishy burps :eek::D.

Thanks
RB

A good way to get rid of the fishy burps is stick your fish oils in the freezer and use them frozen

Man of Honour
I take 6 a day of the high strength (1000mg) ones - and boy do I burn up as a result, they increase the thermogenic cpacity for me, as they should help increase fat burning once taken with a meal.

Caporegime
Its the vitamin A youve got to watch its posinous in high doses.

A good way to get rid of the fishy burps is stick your fish oils in the freezer and use them frozen

thats the one, pretty sure vit d is poisonous in high dose aswell just couldn't remember what was in cod liver oil.

As for fishy burps, one way would be have flax seed oil instead, no fish, no fishy burps :p

I had all kinds of weirdness with knee's, in the end after having scar tissue removed from the membrane that holds the sinovial fluid in, i also had back of my knee cap shaved as it had been worn down, was jaggy and in the final weeks before ops was essentially cutting into my knee on the inside... not fun.

Thing thats weird is I was told by every physio for YEARS not to do anything heavy, that swimming was the only cardio I should try and things like squats/running would be the worst things I could do. years of problems, I finally said smeg it, it will hurt but i'll walk/run/weight lift to lose weight and work through the pain. It turns out squats, running were fine, load and impact were no problem it was the high rep and ackward movements of cycling and swimming that hurt my knee the most.

Personally I think squats and other leg strengthening proper movements have helped my knee immeasurably.

The only problem with these things is not knowing what the main cause is, I changed everything in one go, diet, exercise, glucosamine, omega 3's and together i'm doing great. I have no idea if one single thing is responsible, everything together is working so I'm going to stick with it.

But thats also why some people find glucosamine does nothing, they take that and eat harribo while putting on weight and getting worse. It might not work for all I know but its incredibly hard to without question know whats working or why one thing might not work.

IN other words, I personally recommend, for joints and for knee's, eating well, omega's, glucosamin/chondritin/msm(can normally find all in one pill) and for me proper strengthening has helped no end. As long as you're comftable and feel no reaction do whatever helps, but I'd also get some advice from a physio if you're recovering from something specific. IE if a physio says don't do squats for 6 weeks after condition X is diagnosed, I wouldn't do it, then I'd start back in slowly and ultra carefully. But I can't say for sure any of that would work for you, try it yourself, if you think any of it helps, stick with it.

Caporegime
I think you are thinking too hard, if you train as hard as you think about these things then you will be onto a good thing.

honestly, eat well, train hard, sleep. if you arent growing then something in those 3 is wrong.
you really dont need to worry so much about the things that you are.

enjoy training :]

Soldato
Asking how much to take is a bit like asking how long a piece of string is. The important thing is the ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6. Todays western diets are considered unhealthy as the ratio can be as far apart as 10:1 or more because our foods are far richer in Omega-6. You should be aiming for something more like 2:1 or 3:1.

So if you eat 30g of Omega-6 per day then you should be aiming for 10g-15g of Omega-3 for example.
As for fishy burps, one way would be have flax seed oil instead, no fish, no fishy burps :p
Fish oil is massively superior to flaxseed though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think you are thinking too hard, if you train as hard as you think about these things then you will be onto a good thing.

honestly, eat well, train hard, sleep. if you arent growing then something in those 3 is wrong.
you really dont need to worry so much about the things that you are.

enjoy training :]

As an analyst by trade it is hard not to think about the details :D. If I am putting this much effort in to training then I want to make sure I am maximising the effects and the first step there is to gain better knowledge from more experienced people ;).

I am growing which is good and I guess the weight is comming off. I certianly feel happier about my shape. I believe I am training hard although as I train alone I am cautious. My muscles are aching all over the place even with a number of shakes to try and minimise the effects. This I believe is good. Sleep is an issue with two kids and a wife all of which are used to sleeping late and my older son needs to be in school for a 7:15am start. I am just at a bit of a stalemate as to whether I should up the cals and bulk a bit or keep to the weight loss but not be able to progress through weight lifed and size of build so quickly. Impatience :D.

DM,
My knee was causing pain on the outside and this made it difficult twisting the leg to put the my ankle on my other leg for putting on shoes or socks for example. I had a number of physio treatments with very little effect, had an MRI showing no damage. The problem only really started to get better after I started training and I fairly strongly believe that the damage was minor (although painful) so the body didn't take much notice. Once I started training and doing more damage to the muscles it worked to highlight this minor injury as well so the body did a two for one deal and fixed both.... Mybe this is right, maybe not but I took nothing new and it went away after a week or two of training and it had been there for around 6 months.

I understand your point about keeping everything as it is as I would probabily be the same :D.

Seems like 6 a day is a fairly good benchmark to start with.... I have also just notice the vit tablets also recomment two a day, not just one and I have to give 1 hour before any caffine before/after taking so no morning coffee at work or take them at lunch time.

Damn, these suppliments just got a lot more expensive for daily usage ;).

Thanks for all the good info guys.
RB

Soldato
Personally I think squats and other leg strengthening proper movements have helped my knee immeasurably.

Its probably the strengthening of your quads that stabilised your knee caps. I used to work with a physio treating people with mild to moderate knee pain.
His quad exercises and my gait balancing techniques were a great combination.

Back
Top Bottom