Computer Freezes - Need Help

Associate
Hey all,
I really need some help! Literally at my witts end, and have no clue what's going wrong.

I recently upgraded my computer, and since have had problems with it freezing up. When it freezes nothing works, mouse/ keyboard totally unresponsive. Only way to get it functioning again is to power off completely by the on/off switch (or power button).

Have tried format and reinstall.
Format and installing newest drivers by hand (incase it was a dodgy driver being auto-updated).
Switching HDD's.
Switching the Ram for some I know is good (4 x 1GB sticks, and then 2x2GB sticks using both sets of slots).
Have tried switching to a different PSU (was also 800w, as I dont have a larger one).
Ran Memtest for 24hrs without any errors.
I had wondered if possibly it was a heat related problem but after a little extra cable management and reducing it considerably decided it's likely not (will list temps just incase I'm wrong about this).
Motherboard - 35C
CPU - 33C (Highest Core 42C)
SPP - 53C
MCP - 56C
GPU1 - 42C
GPU2 - 45C
These are idle, thought the freeze seems to randomly happen wether I'm busy doing something or have just booted the comp then left it alone idling for a while - which leads me to believe its nothing to do with overheating.

EDIT: Those temps under load as promised:

Mobo - 48C
CPU - 53C (Highest core was 61C)
SPP - 60C
MCP - 65C
GPU1 - 63C
GPU2 - 66C

Spec:
- Vista 64 Home Premium
- Asus P5N-T Deluxe
- Core 2 Quad Q9550
- 2 x BFG GeForce GTX 275 OC2 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (SLi)
- 2 x Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel (8GB in total)
- 2 x 500Gig Samsung Spinpoint HDD
- BFG 800W PSU

Is there a known conflict with any of these parts?

Really need some suggestions for some stuff to try, really need to find out if something is faulty so I can return it.

Edit:
Just wondering could my PSU be too small at 800W for what is in the system at the moment? And if it was could it cause this problem?

Last edited:
Associate
i had a similar problem, turned out to be PSU dying for me. Do you have another PSU you can borrow or a while?

also run a memtest for a few hours

Associate
Well. Frankly I'm a little stumped by this.

You could try just one graphics card or just one known working ram stick (you don't need a matched pair) in different slots. I assume the hdds are in raid, if they arent maybe one has a virus/malware? It could be on a memory stick or external drive too. Latest vista updates are a must, as are the correct drivers, since you did a manual install maybe you used 32bit drivers by accident? After that all I could suggest is bad mobo.

Good luck!

Associate
OP
i had a similar problem, turned out to be PSU dying for me. Do you have another PSU you can borrow or a while?

also run a memtest for a few hours

Have actually tried switching to another PSU, forgot about that - before the BFG I'm currently using I was using a modular. Unfortuantly had the same problem on them both.
I've ran Memtest for 24hrs without any errors.

Well. Frankly I'm a little stumped by this.

You could try just one graphics card or just one known working ram stick (you don't need a matched pair) in different slots. I assume the hdds are in raid, if they arent maybe one has a virus/malware? It could be on a memory stick or external drive too. Latest vista updates are a must, as are the correct drivers, since you did a manual install maybe you used 32bit drivers by accident? After that all I could suggest is bad mobo.

Good luck!

Definately the correct drivers, checked and then double checked.
Incase one of the HDDs were carrying a virus I've tried running them through my scanner (Kaspersky) though nothing was found.

Associate
Have you checked the hard drive cables are seated properly? this could cause a problem at any time. friend of mine had the same problem and just made it worse by fiddlign about inside. Granted he also called me to troubleshoot his new build only to find an hour later it wasnt plugged in...

but thats another story

Associate
OP
Have you checked the hard drive cables are seated properly? this could cause a problem at any time. friend of mine had the same problem and just made it worse by fiddlign about inside. Granted he also called me to troubleshoot his new build only to find an hour later it wasnt plugged in...

but thats another story

Have switched out the HDDs to check it wasnt an error on one of them, and still got this error so dont think I would have inserted them wrong three times (first install, then switching other HDD in to replace these two, then back to original).
Along with this, the sata cables I use have a lock that "clicks" into place when inserted correctly as well to help ensure they're in right.

I'm currently trying with just one RAM module. Would be a lot easier if I could replicate the freeze - force it to freeze if it's going to. As it is at the moment I have to literally sit for hours just waiting to see if it will do it (Actually managed to go a whole day without it happening at one point making me think I'd solved it - wondering if there's a gremlin lurking in my case mocking my efforts).

P.S. hehe @ that troubleshoot, if only mine could be something so simple!

Last edited:
Associate
Only thing I can really suggest at this stage is to remove everything and swap in stuff you know works, that way you can rule out the mobo (or not) and then test all the ram and both gfx cards. Could also reset/update the bios if you've already done the opposite one respectively.

Lots of work to do :(

Associate
OP
Only thing I can really suggest at this stage is to remove everything and swap in stuff you know works, that way you can rule out the mobo (or not) and then test all the ram and both gfx cards. Could also reset/update the bios if you've already done the opposite one respectively.

Lots of work to do :(

No I've admittedly not done anything in regard to the bios yet, if I can avoid it I would prefer to (I've no experience with it at all in all honesty!)... though as I'm ruling things out gradually, I am comming to the conclusion that I'm likely going to have to try something bios related.

I've still to test the GFX cards seperately, one at a time. But going to wait to see if I get a crash with this singular Ram module first.
After that, then I will be trying going back to parts that I know are functioning fine to try and suss if it's a Mobo issue.

I'd really hoped to get a reply with someone who'd had similar problem with similar system, learn from their experience.
So anyone with ideas, please still shout up!

Associate
Unluckily for you this is one of those computer problems that can be caused by just about anything and fixed just as randomly.

Hope you get it fixed!

Associate
Your RAM is rated at 800MHz and 1.9V, go into the BIOS and make sure it is running at that speed/volts.
I would also say taking things down to the bare minimum and running it is a good idea. Which, seeing as it is a problem when you get into the OS will need to be - mobo, 1xRAM stick, CPU (+cooler), graphics (preferably onboard), HDD and PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your RAM is rated at 800MHz and 1.9V, go into the BIOS and make sure it is running at that speed/volts.

As I've previously said, I've done little in the bios before - I've a basic understanding of it and the stuff in there. Could you give me a brief discription of where I would find this information?
Thanks.

Associate
If I recall on newer asus motherboards like mine there is a section for overclocking. You may need to change something to allow you to manually change memory voltage speed and timings. If you get lost press escape until it asks you if you want to quit without saving changes.

Associate
It depends a lot on the motherboard and manufacturer as to how the menu's are laid out. Just open it up and browse - dont be scared to do it, you can quit without saving changes at any point.

Associate
OP
I would also say taking things down to the bare minimum and running it is a good idea. Which, seeing as it is a problem when you get into the OS will need to be - mobo, 1xRAM stick, CPU (+cooler), graphics (preferably onboard), HDD and PSU.

Right well, I've updated the bios to the latest.

Tried looking for those settings you suggested, couldnt find them on the bios (about to have another look). However I use Everest Ultimate and just realised my RAM is showing up on there for DIMM1&2 as:
"2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400MHz)"

However DIMM 3&4 are showing up as:
"2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333MHz)"

Edit:
Have just noticed they also have a second set putting all DIMMs at (4-4-4-12 @ 266MHz). I know the 4-4-4-12 is correct for the ram as per specs, but thought they should be running at 400Mhz (since they're rated at 800MHz, and the 400MHz is doubled due to them being DDR2 - I think... might be totally confusing myself, very possible).

So do I basically need to be going into the bios and setting these up as 4-4-4-12 @ 400MHz?
Sorry that if I'm seeming a bit of a numbty here, I've never messed in the bios - always left it at defaults/ auto.

Shouldnt they all be the same since its the same ram? I've got it all setup on auto in the bios as I really dont feel I have the experience to change stuff (and dont want to muck something up). But if this could be causing the problem I'd try to suss out how I need to be going about changing it.

Last edited:
Associate
You're right they should be the same but I think honestly it shouldnt be causing the problems. Just read your first post gain about the temps. Try using coretemp while playing a game, it can log the temps while under load.

edit

if they are all the same then it should be fine, increasing them to 400 will only make them faster, not fix a problem

Associate
OP
You're right they should be the same but I think honestly it shouldnt be causing the problems. Just read your first post gain about the temps. Try using coretemp while playing a game, it can log the temps while under load.

edit

if they are all the same then it should be fine, increasing them to 400 will only make them faster, not fix a problem

I really dont think it's a heat issue, as this freeze can literally happen at any time. Even if I just leave them comp from first boot alone for a while, though how long it takes before freezing seems to be totally random. Quickest freeze was just over a hour, longest around 28hrs.

I think I'll look into sorting out the ram once I've got this freezing issue sorted in that case - extra speed is never to be sniffed at. Plus sussing how to do that in the bios will be a learning experience for me if nothing else.

Edit: But going to find out the temps under load as well - just to be clear :)

Associate
if they are all the same then it should be fine

Theyre not the same, which is odd considering its turning it down from 800MHz, ive heard of mobos knocking the second dual DIMMs down from 1066MHz and that causing problems.
Im more concerned about the voltages the mobo is giving them.
Either way removing the second set of DIMMs should help reduce the problem.

If you get us some pictures of your BIOS menus then we should be able to point you to the right options.

Soldato
Asus P5N-T Deluxe

There's your problem right there, that board was notorious for being a pita to get stable, even running at stock it was apparently very flaky. You might want to have a look at this thread here.

The op of that thread got a little bit frustrated with his :eek:

P1010056.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom