How big is your Vista install?

Caporegime
By this I mean the "Windows" folder.

I (foolishly it seems) installed Vista on a 40GB partition and went to install a game today and realised I only have 2GB left. Bearing in mind my page file is on another disk, and the largest program I had installed was 600MB this shocked me a bit. Checking to see what folder was causing the problem I found the "Windows" folder taking up over 27GB, And that's before SP2 that appears to want to download.

This seems absolutely huge, and miles more than it was when I installed it (admittedly 2 years ago). Is there any way I can make it smaller? Preferably without having to reinstall...

Associate
SP2 clears some of the junk from a winsxs folder. Can't remember whats the folder contains but it ain't necessary. Can save you several GB's. :)

Soldato
the max i've used is around 20gb. that's all program files/windows folder plus a 4gb page file. :p

documents/music/videos/games are on another partition.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
x64 ultimate here too. System restore turned off.

The 27gb is not including program files or anything, it's just the windows folder.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
the max i've used is around 20gb. that's all program files/windows folder plus a 4gb page file. :p

documents/music/videos/games are on another partition.

Yep all my documents, music and videos etc are on another disk too, games, there are none other than the windows games...

I'm starting to wonder why it is so big (not that I didn't before as such).:confused:

Caporegime
OP
SP2 clears some of the junk from a winsxs folder. Can't remember whats the folder contains but it ain't necessary. Can save you several GB's. :)

winsxs is the cause of the problem from apparently, it consists of over 17GB of files (in a huge number of folders)...

All the other folders and files in the windows folder probably add up to a couple of GB, other than:

SoftwareDistribution (1.8GB)
SysWOW64 (1GB)
System32 (2.7GB

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Vista Business x64:
windows.png

(Diagram thing from Overdisk)

Winsxs is taking up 9.4gb there.

Soldato
Size on disc is 17.2GB after doing a Service Pack Cleanup (here). Noticed its change because backup image of entire drive was smaller.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vista Business x64 SP1
Around 17GB is the lowest i've gotten it, WinSXS is 12GB of that. I've been pruning my whole drive down (from almost 300GB) to try and make cloning it onto my new Intel 80GB feasible (going to make some comparison vids of various boot and game load times before going for a clean Windows 7 build)

Thanks for the SP2 tip, I'll have to try that (only going to have around a gig to spare before page file as things are thanks to 80GB formatting to 74.5GB)

I'm planning on my Windows 7 build being less than half that - just the OS, Apps, Team Fortress 2 and ARMA2.

Back
Top Bottom