• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

Associate
*Grins* Knew you'd turn up sooner or later, Easy.

@ Tom: Hope you get your bundle soon mate, saw the MSI thread over in the motherboard section.

@ All: Enjoy ya i5's, hope they clock like mad and the 750 becomes the new E6600 :)

Caporegime
OP
same socket

both run dual channel memory

im not arguing over it, or changing thread titles

With respect one has HT the other does not.

For simplicty and comparing clocks it should be

***The Official Core i5 Overclocking Thread***

***The Official Core i7 Lynnfield Overclocking Thread***

Man of Honour
Will post results tomorrow :) I only have the stock heatsink but have the adapter for the Noctua on its way but could be a week or so.

Soldato
Likewise, the stock cooler is really, really poor too. Once I have the fitting bracket for my Noctua I will post what I get.

Man of Honour
Arrived and installed. Just sat at stock whilst I check everything.

i5stockidle.jpg

I notice the speedstep is more advanced, it has several drops in speed rather just one.

I have the Asus P7P55D board which looks amazing. The spec and build quality on these current boards are great. It has 6 USB on the back and three headers on the board and has the auto memory tweaker button, etc.

Also Win 7 went in right away without needing a repair. I guess it helped coming from another Intel chipset (P35). It just needed one reboot to sort itself out and it then did a Windows Update and found updated Realtek LAN driver and ACIP device (ATK)(?)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just doing BIOS update (0209 to 0501) then will get overclocking.

Looks like a newer one is listed but not sure why it isnt on the download list

[ 0606 ]
----------------------
Support Low Voltage DRAM Module

[ 0501 ]
----------------------
Improve system stability

[ 0403 ]
----------------------
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve USB device stability
3. Fix Crashfree function error with Support CD BIOS image
4. Show OC turner options in BIOS setup
5. Revise default values of Turbo Key
6. Set default of T.Probe option to enabled

[ 0209 ]
----------------------
First release Bios

Man of Honour
Load testing at 'stock' which auto OC's to 2.8GHz is a toasty 70c on load (all cores with OCCT). Not sure why Intel included the small heatsink when they could have done with one a bit taller like the older ones.

Soldato
Also Win 7 went in right away without needing a repair. I guess it helped coming from another Intel chipset (P35). It just needed one reboot to sort itself out and it then did a Windows Update and found updated Realtek LAN driver and ACIP device (ATK)(?)

So did you not bother doing a full re-install? Everything work OK? I'm also coming from P35, and don't want to do a full re-install now, and then again in a month when Win 7 retail comes through my letterbox. Is it an OK thing to do for a month or so?

Did you have to un-install any drivers or anything, or just put the hardware in and stick the motherboard's disk in afterwards to install its drivers?

Back
Top Bottom