• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870/5850 User Benchmarks, Thoughts & Feelings

Soldato
Sorry for another thread, but I'm preparing a batch of my own benchmarks tonight, RE5, 3DMark and whatever anyone wants me to run!

Thought I would start yet another (sorry) thread so we can consolidate all user thoughts and feelings of the card and have benchmarks posted up here.

Just grabbing the RE5 benchmark atm

Soldato
OP
I can run a fraps benchmark with that but it needs to be a predetermined route in the game doesnt it?

I'm currently playing Point Lookout DLC which is quite intense, if you want I can just do a MIN MAX AVG after 10 mins of mixed outdoor and indoor play

or is there a time demo I'm unaware of

Soldato
OP
Yea I have and for a start in Fallout 3 it is already at least twice as fast, gameplay is a lot smoother, no lag or slow down with VATS slow mo kills.

running 8xAA gives an almost constant 60FPS.

It is far faster in FO3 than the 4870. Right, RE5

Soldato
OP
Resident Evil 5

DX9 - 1920x1200 4xAA

re5dx92009092417123601.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fallout 3 Indoors (Lots of fighting action)

1920x1200
8XAA
16AF
Ultra

Min Max Avg
52 65 59.867

As you can see it absoloutely rips through it, it's pretty much the same outdoors except it dips to about 48 lowest I seen. VSYNC is off but it seems the FPS is still locked to 65?

Associate

1920x1200
8XAA
16AF
Ultra

Min Max Avg
52 65 59.867

As you can see it absoloutely rips through it, it's pretty much the same outdoors except it dips to about 48 lowest I seen. VSYNC is off but it seems the FPS is still locked to 65?
Same settings and fps was locked to 60 (v-sync on) and only time it dipped to mid 40s was when huge explosions went off. I haven't done any proper testing yet but the game outdoors is noticeably faster than the 8800GTX I was replacing it with. You'd expect that though, of course.

Soldato
Anyone play GTR Evolution (Or any other Simbin game)? Would love to know what it is like on the first lap with a full grid.

Associate
"Fallout 3’s engine is by default capped to 60 frames per second, which can make benchmark results very unclear, especially when testing at lower resolutions or with high end graphics cards. To remove the 60FPS cap you’ll need to find the Fallout3.ini file in \Documents\My Games\Fallout3 and edit the file so that iPresentInterval=0. This removes the frame rate cap, and allows us to get a much better idea of a card’s abilities."

Permabanned

1920x1200
8XAA
16AF
Ultra

Min Max Avg
52 65 59.867

Great, thanks Tom.

The horrible slow-down in VATS really bugs me! Good to hear it's gone. :p

Permabanned
"Fallout 3’s engine is by default capped to 60 frames per second, which can make benchmark results very unclear, especially when testing at lower resolutions or with high end graphics cards. To remove the 60FPS cap you’ll need to find the Fallout3.ini file in \Documents\My Games\Fallout3 and edit the file so that iPresentInterval=0. This removes the frame rate cap, and allows us to get a much better idea of a card’s abilities."

Thanks for that. :)

Soldato

By the way of information, don't do this in-game - only use it for benchmarking.

If you leave this on in-game then the gamespeed will adjust dependent on the framerate. You will sprint around like Usain Bolt indoors when the framerate is high, and dawdle like your granny in a zimmer in the wasteland when the framerate drops. Quite annoying. Best to leave vsync on for gameplay purposes with this game.

Associate
Any chance you can do a 10-15 second fraps run (or something) of the bit where you get off the boat at point lookout? There's major amounts of fog in that bit and my poor HD 3870 grinds at 1920x1200 :(

Also have you tried Mothership Zeta? There are some mega alpha blend bits in there (esp when you blow up the reactors) which causes major slowdown too!

Back
Top Bottom